1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Shopaholic

Discussion in 'Personal' started by knickersinatwist, Apr 13, 2012.

1. I admit it, I'm a shopaholic. By 25 I had got myself into 12k of debt. Over the last year I had managed to reduce it significantly. Last year (aged27) I took out a consolidation loan and would have paid it all off in a year. However, circumstances changed and the payments were too high. I couldn't reconsolidate again so instead took out an overdraft to help me. The loan finishes in August but I will still have about 3k on overdraft. Last week I transferred the OD onto a 0% card giving me 20 months to pay it off (I've cut up the card). I'm annoyed with myself that I now won't be debt free this year, especially as mum and bf are so pleased I've paid it all off.

I know it's my own fault but I can't help spending. I have mild mental health difficulties (depression/anxiety) and having 'stuff' seemed a way of kidding myself everything was ok. But now it just causes anxiety as I know I shouldn't be spending. I need to stop as I don't want to spend my life in debt - I currently have 5k (loan and Overdraft) left to pay. I don't have anyone I can talk to in RL (mum and bf would be too disappointed in me). I just don't know how to stop :(

Thanks for listening, need to gt it off my chest and got nowhere else to turn.

2. hi - I'm sure there's a poster on here (pinkflipflop?) who had a similar shopping problem. I've not seen her on here for ages, now I think about it. If she was still around, it might be worth talking to her?
    I'm afraid I don't know anything about debt crisis stuff, but I'm sure there are websites/support groups for people in your situation. And someone who knows more will be along soon to help, I'm sure.

3. Think of it this way, by 30 you will be debt free and ready to do whatever you want to do!

We didn't get ourselves sorted until we were in our mid 30s and we are eternally grateful we didn't give up! 10 years on and we still haven't stopped watching what we spend and avoiding debt.
    You seem to have made a huge effort, don't condemn yourself for having a little bit left to go! Just make a plan, build in a bit of leeway for just-in-case and keep on chipping away at it.

And don't block out your mum and bf. Will they really be disappointed or just supportive in that 'Oh dear mushy mushy' way loved ones are?
    Lastly, just imagine how good at saving you're going to be [​IMG]

4. Professor Dumbledore

Professor Dumbledore New commenter

Hello!
    I totally sympathise. I have problems being self-disciplined when it comes to spending. I won't bore you with my financial **** but due to writing off car and writing off glasses in the space of a month, I am no longer on course to be debt free (bar student loan, ha!) by 30.

I think the important thing is just to keep making payments and don't allow yourself any way of increasing your debt. Can you afford £100/month towards paying off debts? That's about what I do - not a massive amount, but it helps.

5. Professor Dumbledore

Professor Dumbledore New commenter

Oh dear - mine was a silly question - of course you will be paying at least that!
    You should feel proud that you are taking steps to right this. I get about 8 debt letters a week to my house addressed to a past resident - I originally sent them back in bundles but now don;t bother. She owes thousands!