1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Shop Strop

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Dec 29, 2018.

1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

After viewing a recent Youtube video of a stroppy adult customer behaving like a six-foot six year-old in a gaming store it occurred to me that some people's sense of their own importance is vastly inflated upon entering a shop. Why is this? There are causes for challenging service, of course, such as incorrect change but where genuine disrespect is given surely it is better simply to take make future purchases elsewhere rather than to lecture the shop staff on what terrible people you think they are and physically threatening them. Why do some people invest so much of their self-respect in the perceived deference of anonymous commercial workers, and are these touchy types likely to be the stroppy people we see at parents' evenings?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    lanokia and sodalime like this.
  2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I don't the answers because I always try to be polite to shop workers.

I think I know the video you mean.

3. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

I've not watched the video but I think people do it because they can. A shop worker is an easy target as they are expected to be polite to their customers...'the customer is always right' etc.

Dragonlady30, sodalime and lanokia like this.
  4. Vince_Ulam

As a rule I go with the bare minimum of formal politeness. Anything else from me appears to disturb.

Ideological propriety forbids its presentation here.

vannie likes this.
  5. Vince_Ulam

There is something in what you say. It must be sadism because such awful customers would be delusional to believe that onlookers are affording them status points for being so dickish.

6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Yes... if the shop worker argues back then the customer can go straight to the management. It seems to be a sort of power trip for some.

I'm sure there are also occasions for reasonable complaints. But sometimes it's just seeking validation through boorishness.

7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Let's face it.. as teachers we've all encountered the uber-entitled child or parents who see you as a servant or target rather than fellow human being.

8. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I can recall a couple of instances where I may have been less than polite to a shop assistant. Once was in the Orange store when the young lad told me he couldn't sell me a couple of mobiles unless he registered them in the store. I told him that it wasn't necessary as I was giving them as gifts and so they would have to be registered by the recipients. He insisted that 'it was against the law' for him to sell me the phones without registering them! I went 3 shops down to the phone warehouse and bought identical phones on the orange network for 5p less per phone and unregistered. I had to walk back past the Orange store so just popped in to wave the bags under his nose!
    The second time was in Tescos where I had selected a pair of shorts from the rail only to be told at checkout that I could not buy them. I insisted that they were on sale (in fact I could see the rail from the checkout). A supervisor was summonsed who insisted that the shorts were not for sale and that in fact I couldn't have chosen them because they were not on display! She refused to come with me to look at the rail. When I said that if the store didn't sell these items then obviously she wouldn't object if I just took them she got really shirty. A complaint at Customer services and another online to head office got me £60 in vouchers (the shorts were £15).

9. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

This. If Stropper tried it in a club or a football ground he'd be hustled outside and punched. It's the lowest form of bad behaviour.
    On the odd (i.e. lots of people about) occasion I've told The Stropper they're out of order, they mutter but essentially leave it because screeching at a granny in public does come with consequences. Notable exceptions include harridans clouting, screaming and swearing at their tiny children in supermarkets. I usually get "And you can fck off too, you *expletive*!"

10. Vince_Ulam

[​IMG]

blazer likes this.
  11. wordsworth

wordsworth Senior commenter

I blame Thatcher

12. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I blame Brexit.

13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I blame Attila the Hun.

That's when the rot set in. No courtesy, no manners.

14. Flowersinspring

Flowersinspring Senior commenter

I blame the teachers.

15. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

The only time I have knowingly been blatantly lied to in a shop was when looking for a mobile phone. I mentioned another deal in another shop and the manager went as far as to pretend to phone them up and tell me I had the details wrong. I went and checked, I didn't have the details wrong and found the phone call never happened. I did think about going back, but it was out of my way and I didn't. Carphone Warehouse Peterborough, I've never been back to them or any other CW branch since.

It's not the assistants I get annoyed with in shops, but management if they are around and I and others are being kept waiting. Once in a long queue in Next with one harassed lad serving and 7 others doing v. imp. stuff around the shop in quite a leisurely manner. I asked the man with the manager badge if someone else could allow me to pay for what I had as there seemed to be enough staff and a long queue. I have also been known to call "Doris!" or whatever across the floor at Waitrose when the teenager behind the till has to wait for Doris the floor manager to come and put the booze through and Doris is standing having a chat and ignoring the tills.

16. Photo51

Photo51 Established commenter

1.2 million views on Twitter.

17. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

We spent a considerable sum in John Lewis the other day. We went back today with a query and to purchase an accessory. It was about 9.30, there were no customers in the department except us and there were several staff at a till point.

Despite it being obvious that we were waiting to speak to an assistant, no one approached. We waited for quite some time, looked around, stood by the accessories shelf and eventually decided that our custom wasn’t required and left. We went next door to Curry’s and found several people to answer the question and offer advice.

Tempted to buy a washing machine too, but resisted.

18. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

You were at the tills and they ignored you? Doesn't sound like JL

19. nizebaby

nizebaby Lead commenter

Was the shop open for browsing only at that time?

20. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

I'm always nice. More likely to get the desired outcome by being polite rather than rude. This works particularly well with doctor's receptionists.