1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Shop/Retail Discounts - How do I go about getting some?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by byronipuss, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Hello there! Can anyone help me?

I'm putting on a play at our school in a couple of months' time. We need various things that I can't find in the Pound shops & charity shops. Obviously, I expect to spend some money - but it's all coming out of my own pocket - and rather a lot already!

Has anyone ever approached retailers asking for discounts in such circumstances?
    I have heard of this sort of thing being done - but not sure how to go about it (eg: should I write to the managers or ring or call in person (now that I'm of a certain age, fluttering the old eyelashes is definitely out these days!!!!)

Any helpful suggestions would be gratefully received!

HUGE thanks in anticipation.
    :)

2. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Why is it coming out of your own pocket?

3. Just because . . .

I've given up trying to get money back for anything. That's why I'm doing this on a shoestring. It all adds up though.

Any ideas?

4. Stop spending your own money on it.

5. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

I've had discounts or special deals in the past where the company or supplier has been a parent. That's all though.

I'd still not spend my own money on it though. It paints an innacurate picture of the running costs of a school. I understand your motivation...but urge you not to do it. If the school won't pay for resources, the school should have to do without resources.

6. greta444

greta444 New commenter

I often spend my own money on the children in my class because they're great and I want to do my best for them.
    We often ask for donations towards school projects. Make a deal that you will get them publicity through the local press in return for their donation. I usually approach companies by letter, sometimes I ring if I know who I want to speak to.
    Good luck

7. More fool you! It still baffles me why anyone would choose to spend their own money on resources for their job. If they are necessary/essential then the school should be paying.

8. I don't want a lecture, thank you.

I just would like an answer to my question! (For which I thank you, Greta444)

9. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

I undertook a project to paint some playground walls in a very drab school a fair few years back. I got the children to write letters (lit lesson!) listing what we needed and got a great response from both large and small retailers. I didn't pay out anything other than petrol picking up the goods.
    If you don't ask, you don't get!

10. Hi there,

I have both written to retailers myself and sent letters the children had written but with no luck whatsoever, not even a reply.
    However, I have had luck posting a 'wanted' ad on Freecycle/Freegle.
    [​IMG]

11. inq

inq

I'd write (or as was suggested by gergil) get the children to. You can offer to put their name in the program saying thank you and thus giving them advertising. Have you also tried sending a letter home to parents listing all the things that are needed - it's amazing what people have in their lofts! Freecycle is also amazing for getting odd and unusual things for free - Google it to find your local branch.

12. uppereastside

uppereastside New commenter

We once had an event at our school where we were trying to get prizes to raffle off and wrote to a few companies. Lidl were good and I received a £10 voucher from them. That was the only one though.

13. greta444

greta444 New commenter

I often spend my own money on the children in my class because they're great and I want to do my best for them.
    More fool you! It still baffles me why anyone would choose to spend their own money on resources for their job. If they are necessary/essential then the school should be paying.
    we have no budget whatsoever for any extras. Exercise books and writing inplements and basic stationary is what we get at the moment. If I didn't help with finding resources for my class, they would have nothing, NOTHING. They, nor I deserve that but that's how it is at the moment. As for asking the school to pay for what I buy, that's a farce. There simply is no money for the poor secretary to reimburse us.

14. Been there. Done that.
    B&Q have (or at least had) a funding programme. There was a certain amount put into a pot to be given out at the manager's discretion. There was a short and very simple form to fill in. I did it once for an art project. I filled out the form, got the go ahead and a member of staff took me around the store to choose the items I had asked for. I got £300 of paints and other materials for the sake of an hour of my time.

15. Some great ideas. I shall certainly try some of them!

Thanks to all those who have posted positive comments. I really appreciate your suggestions & support.

:)

16. uppereastside

uppereastside New commenter

and by Lidl, I might mean Aldi (I can't remember which one!)