1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Shooting in New Zealand

Discussion in 'Personal' started by vinnie24, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

I have posted YouTube videos of Tommy Robinson on TES. There's one on this thread. I studied and taught moral philosophy. I'm interested in ideas. I don't close my mind to anything and I try not to settle on any given view until I have a chance to investigate it myself.

I'd support any person's right to spew out their unpleasantness because it is their right.

Can I say that?

lexus300 likes this.
  2. Nanook_rubs_it

Nanook_rubs_it Star commenter

3. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

I try to be a Christian in my thinking, but after all this man has done, I think perhaps someone should take him down to the Antarctic and drop him quietly into the sea and leave him there. He's not worth spending all the money that will be needed to deal with him and then keep him in prison. Let nature sort him out.

4. Jude Fawley

The indifferent sea.

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

You do get this works both ways?

After the Manchester Arena attack we had Oasis 'Don't look back in anger' playing... don't be angry, move on... don't mention his status as a refugee from Libya... it has nothing to do with Islam, don't you dare mention Islam, these people aren't Muslims... and voxpops on the news channels about the impact of the attack on the British Muslim community...

This time around we have anyone who has ever said anything even slightly unpleasant to a Muslim [Chelsea Clinton!] being accused of stirring up the attack... there isn't a song telling us all to be calm [in fact if you say 'calm down' you'll probably be accused of belittling the dead] ... there certainly won't be voxpops with white communities addressing their ''fears about reprisals'' ...

This tragedy was politicised by folks before the dead were even accounted for...

6. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Lead commenter

Make that four.

lexus300, slingshotsally and cissy3 like this.
  7. Nanook_rubs_it

Of course it works both ways, that’s why attempts to play down the culpability of those who target groups like Muslim’s need to have their hypocrisy highlighted, whether to make political gain (eg Boris Johnson, Farage et al) or click bait (Daily Mail, Breibart etc).

I don’t remember anybody holdi

8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

What has Boris Johnson got to do with this? This happened in New Zealand... was Johnson mentioned in his manifesto? Or are you just lumping in politicians you don't like to take advantage of this vile crime?

lexus300 and sparklesparkle like this.
  9. Nanook_rubs_it

These things don’t happen in isolation; Johnson is part of the zeitgeist. Was he directly involved, no, but people like him & Yaxley-Lennon make political capital all the time on the backs of promoting fear of the other (in their case Muslims, for Trump Muslims & Mexicans).

JL48, FrankWolley and slingshotsally like this.
  10. Jude Fawley

The problem a lot of people face in saying that "x" influenced this killer is then understanding why their knowledge of how "x" influenced this killer hasn't influenced them also to kill.

11. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

This is too good not to re-post.

I think the irony might be lost on some.

JL48 and Scintillant like this.
  12. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

The media is a big problem too.

spot.jpg

slingshotsally likes this.
  13. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

More from the gutter press. This time the Spectator.

upload_2019-3-17_15-22-15.png

Imagine a synagogue being attacked in such a fashion and MSM report it as not being anti-semitism instead it is anti-Judaism xenophobia.

This is the kind of BS that separates people rather than bring them together.

14. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

The state of this. The maniac came from a town with barely any Muslims but still he hated them.

Australians have an extensive track record of racism.

15. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

16. s_teach

s_teach New commenter

My heart goes out to all the innocent people who lost their lives. As a mother of 2 young boys how someone can go and shoot young children is beyond me. Its sickeing. Whether white or brown muslim or non-muslim this was an awful act by a mentally sick individual with no heart and no morals and no brain.

17. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

The death penalty isn't much of a deterrent in these cases. In fact it's been shown to not be much of one at all.
    Which is more to the point. It's always been more about vengeance.

18. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

I'd say that the issue is usually the other way around. People assume that white people may be criminals, but cannot be terrorists. I think that if we get to the point where we admit that extremist groups of white people are as much terrorists as extremist groups of non-white people, then we will have moved forward somewhat.

lanokia likes this.
  19. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I think his background was in the more unpleasant aspects of the Internet rather than anything to do with his home town.

By his own account, he was radicalized during a one-month period during his travels in Europe in spring 2017.

20. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I think anyone who remembers the IRA will know that white people can be terrorists...

And that piece of scum who nail bombed a gay nightclub... and Darren Osbourne... [urgh why is my brain wasting valuable space remembering his name]

lexus300, border_walker and JL48 like this.