1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Shooting in New Zealand

Discussion in 'Personal' started by vinnie24, Mar 15, 2019.

1. sparklesparkle

sparklesparkle Established commenter

vinnie never needs proof and on this thread especially, he is best ignored.

2. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

I have said it many times on here. Make the punishment fit the crime and we might have some form of deterrent. The families and friends of the victims now have a life sentence.

nomad likes this.
  3. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Just for information: (ie not for argument's sake)

From the Guardian's report on the planning, and manifesto of the killer:

''The author says the attack had been planned for two years and that though New Zealand was not the original choice for the attack, the Christchurch location was scoped out three months in advance.

“I only arrived to New Zealand to live temporarily whilst I planned and trained, but I soon found out that New Zealand was as target rich of an environment as anywhere else in the west,” it says.

The suspect wanted to send a message that “nowhere in the world is safe”, according to the document, and the choice of weapon – firearms – was designed to gain maximum publicity.''

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...to-before-livestreaming-christchurch-shooting

A dreadful event whichever way you look at it.

nomad, lanokia and FrankWolley like this.
  4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Cheers

nomad and cissy3 like this.
  5. keyboard2

keyboard2 Established commenter

The worst type of comment following a tragedy such as this.

To shoe horn a political diatribe at the expense of those families who are suffering is very low.

Shame on you.

I did. Because it was the right thing to do.

All are entitled to a fair trial, even those we dislike. It's part of showing those who want to commit evil that fair, due process trials, is a supreme form of tolerance than expunging those to whom we offer disapproval or break the law.

Perhaps that is too complex for the simple minded...

sparklesparkle likes this.
  6. sparklesparkle

I have zero interest in his "manifesto". Why even discuss it? He wrote it so that it could be dissected online after he committed mass murder and we could read about his "justifications". As if it could ever be explained or justified. None of these individuals are thinkers. They are nasty, inadequate people who don't deserve the interest they receive.

The French have the right idea. Some media outlets there don't even name the perpetrators of terrorist attacks. They focus solely on the victims.

Oscillatingass and lexus300 like this.
  7. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Outside a mosque in Manchester today (apparently)

[​IMG]

8. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

Think I read it on his manifesto post #2 although I can't access it now.

Must have been taken down.

9. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

Actually you are right. Christchurch is not a hotbed of neo nazis. That is rubbish as you say.

There are not many neo-nazis in New Zealand so hotbed is the wrong term. It is just that what few neo nazis there are, are mostly on the South Island which is probably why Christchurch, more than any other city, is associated with far-right elements.

10. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Lead commenter

What wise and moving words from NZ PM Jacinda Ardern:

"It is clear that this can now only be described as a terrorist attack.

From what we know, it does appear to have been well planned. Two explosive devices attached to suspects’ vehicles have now been found and they have been disarmed.

There are currently four individuals who have been apprehended, but three are connected to this attack who are currently in custody, one of which has publicly stated that they were Australian-born.

There are people who I would describe as having extremist views that have absolutely no place in New Zealand and in fact have no place in the world.....

We are a proud nation of more than 200 ethnicities, 160 languages, and amongst said diversity, we share common values and the one we place the currency on right now and tonight is our compassion and the support for the community of those directly affected by this tragedy and secondly, the strongest possibly condemnation of the ideology of the people who did this.

You may have chosen us. But we utterly reject and condemn you.

I have spoken this evening to the mayor of Christchurch and I intend to speak this evening to the Imam. But I also want to send a message to those directly affected. In fact, right now, I’m sure New Zealand would like me to share a message on their behalf too.

Our thoughts and our prayers are with those who have been impacted today.

Christchurch was the home of these victims. For many, this may not have been the place they were born. In fact, for many, New Zealand was a choice, a place they actively came to and committed themselves to, the place they were raising their families, where they were part of communities they loved and who loved them.

It was a place that many came to for its safety, a place where they were free to practise their culture and their religion. For those of you who are watching at home tonight and questioning how this could have happened here … We, New Zealand, we were not a target because we are a safe harbour for those who hate.

We were not chosen for this act of violence because we condone racism, because we are an enclave for extremism. We were chosen for the very fact that we are none of these things. Because we represent diversity, kindness, compassion, a home for those who share our values, refuge for those who need it, and those values, I can assure you, will not and cannot be shaken by this attack."

Hear, hear.

bombaysapphire and nomad like this.
  11. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Why the association?

xmal likes this.
  12. MAGAorMIGA

Corbyn's moving tributes on Twitter:
    "My heart goes out to the victims of the horrific terror attack in New Zealand. We stand in solidarity with the Muslim community in Christchurch and around the world. We must defeat the bigotry which fuels such hatred and violence."

"On behalf of the Labour Party, I laid a wreath at New Zealand House for the victims of the horrific terror attack in Christchurch. In their memory, we must build a world which respects our diversity.pic.twitter.com/Md9kesGOMO"

[​IMG]

And I have to say I have seen many, many similarly eloquent, heartfelt and moving tributes from other politicians of all parties as well.

13. MAGAorMIGA

Meanwhile, Krishnan Guru-Murthy takes aim at the Islamophobic hypocrites who have paused their campaigns of vitriol to offer crocodile tears on behalf of the Christchurch victims:

"Don’t pick out all those casually anti-Muslim columnists and politicians expressing their shock and sympathy today. They know who they are. They will be having a quiet think, through the bluster."

Scintillant likes this.
  14. sparklesparkle

As previously stated, this is not an occasion for politics so I will refrain from commenting on these statements. But they would carry more weight if they came from someone else.

15. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

Although it contains excellent punctuation, this kind of comment doesn't help.

Hopefully this incident has shown that Islamophobia is indeed a thing and needs to be eradicated.

monicabilongame likes this.
  16. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

Tweet of the day.

upload_2019-3-16_5-49-7.png

monicabilongame and MAGAorMIGA like this.
  17. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

Yeah let's not keep mentioning the name of the white terrorist.

18. border_walker

border_walker Established commenter

So, do you think the same about Corbyn - I guess that you do, or your comment has no logic.

install likes this.
  19. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Thank you.
    As I have already said, I know quite a few people in ChCh and they were all very decent and honourable people.

20. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Terrorism takes many forms and is not restricted to white people.