1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Shooting in New Zealand

Discussion in 'Personal' started by vinnie24, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Not all that long since Tommy Robinson's "free speech" march that was essentially a hatefest against Muslims.

2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Didn't some defend his 'rights' on here? o_O

3. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

I lived there in the early 80's, they were a little old fashioned but not violently racist although I was called a pommy bar steward a few times. Those Kiwi's I knew as friends and neighbours were very peaceful and religious people. It was an Australian who was arrested not a New Zealander.

4. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Rubbish.

sparklesparkle likes this.
  5. FrankWolley

Could it tell us a lot about the person that our PM's message of condolences to NZ doesn't mention either 'mosques' or 'Muslims'? o_O

[​IMG]

6. lucylollipop

lucylollipop New commenter

How can a person have so much hate for a particular group of people that they would walk into their place of worship and shoot other humans?
    I heard an eyewitness give a radio interview in which he described helping the wounded, in particular a 5 year old girl who he and his friend managed to get to hospital; unfortunately her father died.
    How can anyone shoot a 5 year old child? What is wrong with this world?

blueskydreaming likes this.
  7. Odo

Odo New commenter

My brother lives out in NZ and has been there for around 12 years. He’s out in the middle of nowhere on South Island but is currently uncontactable on holiday tramping(long distance hiking) somewhere…..

In the past, and very much in passing, he has mentioned racial tensions between different groups of immigrants, immigrant Europeans and the some sections of the indigenous Maori population.

He’s also mentioned that some of the upbringing and attitudes of some NZlanders can be compared to parts of the Deep South in the US. He reckons bits of NZ are 60/70 years behind the UK in terms of tolerance and respect to others. I’m shocked that something on this scale has happened – but I’m aware that there are tensions in the country.

8. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

Ōna mano tāngata
    Kiri whero, kiri mā,
    Iwi Māori, Pākehā,
    Rūpeke katoa,
    Nei ka tono ko ngā hē
    Māu e whakaahu kē,
    Kia ora mārire
    Aotearoa

9. dodie102

dodie102 Occasional commenter

My sincere thoughts are with those who have been touched by this terrible event. I'm not going to spout opinion or make political capital out of it. Reflection comes later - grief comes now.

10. nomad

nomad Star commenter

No, I don't think it does.

Stop searching for dirt where there is none.

11. nomad

nomad Star commenter

NZ Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern made no specific mention.

"Many of those who have been affected by this shooting, may be migrants to New Zealand - they may be even be refugees here. They have chosen to make New Zealand their home, and it is their home. They are us. There is no place in New Zealand for such acts of extreme and unprecedented violence, which is clear this act was. For now, my thoughts - and I'm sure the thoughts of all New Zealanders - are with those who have been affected, and with their families. My thoughts also to those in Christchurch who are still dealing with an unfolding situation."

NZ Governor-General Dame Patsy Reddy makes no specific mention.

"Today's tragic events in Christchurch have shocked all New Zealanders. Our hearts go out to the people of Christchurch, especially the people directly affected by this afternoon's terrible violence. Our thoughts are with them, their families and friends. Now more than ever is the time to affirm the values that we hold dear - compassion, kindness and tolerance. I have no doubt that all New Zealanders join with me in expressing their condolences and support."

However, attempting to make political capital out of a message of condolence relating to a tragedy tells me a great deal about the person doing so!

12. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I have an ex colleague in Christchurch, who I know from FB is fine and he and his family are now at home, but his school was locked down, as was the nursery his children go to. His wife was with them.

13. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Absolutely spot on.

14. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Well said.

nomad likes this.
  15. FrankWolley

I think it tells us loads about the way Muslims are viewed by the Tories, in fact. Or at least by fair number of leading Tories.

catbefriender and sparkleghirl like this.
  16. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

I see so if Corbyn had said exactly the same thing you would be fine with it?

17. FrankWolley

I think what May said is revealing. Especially given her political party and her (awful) record at the Home Office.

catbefriender and sparkleghirl like this.
  18. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

That she condemns a 'sickening act of violence' and expresses condolences... :confused:

How far down the rabbit hole does someone has to go ... how many trips on the crazy bus... to have problem with that?

T34, dodie102, Oscillatingass and 3 others like this.
  19. sparklesparkle

sparklesparkle Established commenter

Three posters are using this thread for their own tiresome political agendas.

None of them have expressed any sympathy for the victims.

20. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

How do you know this? I haven't seen anything yet where they assert this is the reason why...