1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Shooting in New Zealand

Discussion in 'Personal' started by vinnie24, Mar 15, 2019.

1. border_walker

border_walker Established commenter

Got to think about the issue today - a Muslim was threatened, or rather told, that he should be shot. It was by another Muslim, because his wife was wearing a swimming costume whilst using the local swimming baths. he was told that she should only be allowed to swim covered from head to toe.
    Two issues for me - threatening to shoot someone who does things you disagree with, the assumption that the wife has to do as the husband says.

2. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

It is like saying "When I talk about the CIA, why should christian evangelicals be upset about it? Give me an answer"

I don't know if there is any truth to what Bhamji is saying but his saying it is not anti-semitic.

Mossad is not Judaism. Zionists are not Jews. The state of Israel is not Judaism.

Another anti-muslim comment.

After a short period of reflection we are now back to normal it seems.

And does this kind of thing only happen with Muslims?

Like no British woman ever got beat up because she didn't do as her husband said.

3. border_walker

By a Muslim - so how can it be? He said that he had left a Muslim country to get away from this nonsense, Or are you saying that because the person who made the death threat was a Muslim it should be ignored. What do you think should happen to the person who made the death threat?

4. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

nomad likes this.
  5. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

nomad likes this.
  6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Do you mean border_walker's comment is anti-Muslim or that the reported interaction is anti-Muslim?

If it's the first then clearly your threshold for anti-Muslim is very very slight [a comment mentioning Muslims that isn't positive and effusive with praise]. If the second then it is you endorsing an extreme, interventionist, authoritarian version of Islam as being the ''true Islam''...

Both are disturbing.

border_walker likes this.
  7. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

Saying "he should be shot" is not a death threat. Saying "I am going to shoot you" is a death threat.

8. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

Muslims do many things both positive and negative with the positive vastly outweighing the negative yet @border_walker chooses to accentuate the negative for some reason.

Has he ever posted a positive comment about muslims?

I don't mind criticism of religion, I just wonder why it is just the one religion people seem to object to. You can find similar nonsense spouted by many religions.

Let @border_walker post about them as well if it troubles him so much.

9. border_walker

I guess that you are unable say that making a death threat, especially in light of the shooting in NZ is totally inappropriate, and should be dealt with. To be honest, I didn't expect that you would. I guess That I won the bet with myself.

lanokia likes this.
  10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

People are also upset about Jews... but you deny that is going on.

People also attack the Catholic church for historic sex abuse...

No-one is criticising ''just the one religion''.

border_walker and Nanook_rubs_it like this.
  11. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

12. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Has the poster you quote said something that expresses a denial that there is any "upset" about jews?

If they have, you can quote it right?

13. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

I will concede the catholic church has been criticised on these boards but not nearly as much as Islam. I don't recall seeing criticism of Judaism.

14. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

How much did you win?

15. George_Randle

George_Randle Occasional commenter

Sam Harris on Christchurch...