1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Shooting in New Zealand

Discussion in 'Personal' started by vinnie24, Mar 15, 2019.

1. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

2. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

40 people so far... horrifying. Hope they catch the scum.

4. A_Million_Posts

A_Million_Posts Star commenter

It's appalling. So many people dead and so much fear and anxiety.

5. lrw22

lrw22 Established commenter

Has put Brexit into perspective for me this morning. Suddenly, doesn't seem quite so significant as I thought it was.

mas_o_menos likes this.
  6. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Awful news.

7. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

It's horrific.

8. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

Sounds like it was a gang rather a deranged individual. A whole group of monsters out of their tiny minds with hatred and fear, it doesn't bear thinking about. Definitely some groupthink here, by the sound of it.

9. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I have a cousin in NZ (thanks to Facebook, I know she's OK). Having been in Christchurch just over 3 years ago, I'd never have guessed that this lovely - though damaged - (by the earthquake) city would join the roll call of other cities scarred by terrorist attacks.

Whether the attackers jihadists or extreme right wing haters, it matters not a jot. They are all scum. :mad:

10. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

That is precisely why they chose Christchurch, to let the world know that nowhere is safe.

Not even New Zealand.

11. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

12. annie2010

annie2010 Occasional commenter

So desperately sad; heard this on the radio in the early hours.
    My heart goes out to the bereaved, injured and the people of Christchurch.
    Sadly, nowhere is safe, even countries regarded as quiet and peaceful.

13. FrankWolley

monicabilongame and sparkleghirl like this.
  14. fraisier

fraisier Occasional commenter

Interesting ITW an hour ago on BBC1 of Dr Paul Buchanan (a former intelligence and security analyst, a US citizen permanent resident in New Zealand) who was saying that Christchurch has been a well-known local (in New Zealand) hotbed of neo-nazi and white supremacist activity for quite a while now but nothing was done by the authorities to protect ethnic and Muslim minorities, it was all swept under the carpet (as authorities usually do, this is certainly not confined to New-Zealand!). Buchanan was saying that there’s been a number of incidents in a recent past between those neo-nazis/white supremacists and minorities but that these incidents were downplayed by the authorities.

I’ve never been to New Zealand, I know very little about the country, I have no idea how right he is on this issue but I thought that was interesting as it may shed some light onto why it happened in that particularly city.

15. FrankWolley

Interesting.

But the main terrorist was from Australia (I've read) not NZ.

16. FrankWolley

Saw this from my NZ cousin:

[​IMG]

17. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

Christchurch is a hotbed for neo-nazi elements. There are few Muslims there. It is usually Chinese immigrants to the country that are on the receiving end of their hatred.

18. fraisier

@FrankWolley

Was he a resident at all in NZ? Even if he was a visitor to NZ, he must have known the local neo-nazi milieu pretty well, it's unlikely he chose Christchurch randomly, unlikely either that he acted alone without local support. (The 2015 attacks in Paris - Charlie Hebdo in January and Bataclan in November - for instance were carried out by "Franco-Belgian teams", or people with strong connections with Belgium and Brussels in particular - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brussels_ISIL_terror_cell - as this is where salafist and wahhabist fundamentalism started in Europe in the late 1970s and developed and thereafter in France and elsewhere in Europe).

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  19. fraisier

Interesting. That confirms what Buchanan was saying (although he didn't mention the Chinese community in particular but they would also most certainly be targets too).

20. FrankWolley

From what I read he comes from northern NSW & is an Australian citizen. Whether he was resident in NZ or a visitor, I don't know.

NB

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...four-people-witnesses-say-heard-20-shots.html

PS

Whether or not there are many Muslims in NZ is, perhaps, irrelevant (there are at least 2 mosques in Christchurch), NZ is a multicultural country due to its Maori population, as any visitor notices.