1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

shoddy english on bbc news website

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nizebaby, Aug 24, 2019.

1. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

"A bag was thrown from a a window that was found to contain firearms."

Call me a pedant but, honestly, can't they do better than that? This is just an example of the sort of shoddy english with which the site is rife.

2. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Lead commenter

Lol, so did the bag or window contain the firearms?!

3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Just. Don't.

A bag, subsequently found to contain guns, was thrown from a window.

What is the point of this?

To tell us about a bag. Not just any old bag. It was full of guns! And it was thrown from a window. So that's how you construct the sentence.

Visually it goes thusly:
    Ooh, a bag
    What? Chucked out of that window!
    OMG, it's got guns in!

So I am also happy with.
    A bag was thrown from a window. It was later found to contain firearms.

peter12171, Norsemaid, nomad and 3 others like this.
  4. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Spot the mistakes in this one ...

A mum-of-six says she can't afford to feed her family because of the "punishing" cost of school uniforms.

Chloe Adomatis says she's had to cut back on food for her family as buying school uniforms will "break the bank".

And the 27-year-old's finances will soon take another hit, with four of her children set to start secondary school in the space of two years.

Her kids are 10, 11, 13, 16, 17 – plus two aged nine - and saving accordingly is proving to be difficult.

“I’ve got six of them so it’s not the easiest thing when you have one but when you have six it’s a lot more difficult,” she said.

https://www.kentlive.news/news/uk-world-news/mum-cannot-afford-school-uniform-3222132

Marshall and smoothnewt like this.
  5. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

exactly

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  6. Grandsire

Grandsire Senior commenter

My father loved the mistakes in our local paper - all those 4-birth caravans!

7. blue451

blue451 Senior commenter

What irritates me most about the beeb news on radio is when you can tell that the person reading it not only didn't write it but didn't bother to read over it first either so the stress and sometimes even pronunciation is all wrong.

8. Grandsire

Grandsire Senior commenter

Like watching Trump try to read something off the auto-cue: simultaneously cringe-worthy and infuriating.

9. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Not too good at maths, either.
    *bites typing finger to avoid comments regarding wisdom of almost annual childbirth when you are skint*

10. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Trump can read??

Marshall and sabrinakat like this.
  11. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Especially if you start when you are 10 years old ...

Duke of York, Marshall and nizebaby like this.
  12. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

After a lifetime of marking English, nothing surprises me any longer.

13. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

Thank you for posting this example.

BetterNow likes this.
  14. nomad

nomad Star commenter

A couple of them look remarkably well fed to me!

15. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Fried chicken takeaway every night?

nomad likes this.
  16. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Ooh careful, you'll get 'called out'. Especially if you point out that you and other taxpayers are actually paying for the uniforms (and whatever food the little uns are having), not the woman in question

BetterNow and nomad like this.
  17. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Well, I wasn't going to point that out but, yeah, innit! People on a low income receiving benefits such as tax credits or Employment and Support Allowance might be able to get help with some of the costs of sending the six (or is it seven) children to school, including school meals, transport and uniform.

18. celago22

celago22 Occasional commenter

Some people on benefits earn more than us teachers. What a sad world!

peter12171 and sabrinakat like this.
  19. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

Earn? Are benefits earnings these days?

20. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

My daughter has just kitted out grandson for secondary school, Fair enough. New YR7.

Granddaughter has had 2 new shirts. YR4. Daughter tells me some (ineffably stupid) parents buy a whole new set of school clothes every year. Why?

A. It's not exactly Eton.
    B. The local demographic is - suffice it to say that my daughter lives in an ex-council house and that's par for the course - not particularly well-off
    C. Do none of them see how wasteful it is?

Maybe clear English is also important to these parents. I hope so. The quality of writers at the BBC gives me no confidence. These are probably mostly Russell Group interns etc. Yet they can't write!