1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Shocking Unions support keeping British teachers low paid in crummy conditions.

Discussion in 'Education news' started by binaryhex, Jun 25, 2018.

1. Bobbbs

Bobbbs Occasional commenter

In my school? I'm not worried about my school, I'm worried about my profession.

I joined a national union of teachers, not a school union or a local union.

The unions in the UK are ineffective because they're so stupidly caught up in local issues, and ideoolgocai ones relating to the wider society, that they do nothing on a large scale for the profession.

Strike for pay, strike for inadequate funding, strike for poor standards of testing, strike for recruitment and retention issues. Actually act like a union and no a political party. "Picnic against testing!" Because that's going to make the DfE quake in their boots.

The one tool unions have to combat national level issues is striking. And not one union does it. Some openly refuse to do it.

MarieAnn18 and Catgirl1964 like this.
  2. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Very well put. Also, those new to the country are so much easier for SLT to bully and exploit.

I don't think it's really that difficult to prove age discrimination. Although it still goes on, there does seem to be an outcry against discrimination based on race, religion and gender, and if these were practiced to anywhere near the same degree as the age discrimination practiced by schools they would be stamped out quickly. However, despite putting up the retirement age, governments have absolutely no interest in protecting the employment rights of older people.

3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

So when the union ballots for a strike and get a 30% turnout of which lets say two thirds of those want to strike. So a strike is called and 90% of the membership, even some of those that voted to strike, ignore it. Even if it is only a one day stoppage! The unions are their members, if the members are spineless then the union is toothless! If you really are wanting the union to do more then go to their branch meetings, make proposals, become the school rep.

4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Local issues are important. Action in individual schools can make a lot of difference to the staff. Usually the staff support because they are directly affected. I recall a few years back. NASUWT and NUT agreed (!) to have a one day strike. About a dozen of us turned up to picket the school gate (the school was closed). One of the NASUWT members, who I, as rep, had helped out more than once drove in at 7.30 to avoid having to look us in the eye (she normally arrived just before the bell). She still expected the union to support her later in the term when she had got herself into another mess.

5. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Senior commenter

You do know that Unions cannot call a strike without their members backing. do you?

The last thing you or the union wants is for the Union to go "Fire and Thunder" with the rhetoric and then find that the members do not back them. The emperor would be seen with no clothes.

If you want change and YOU are prepared to strike/take action then you need to let your rep know, not the pages of the TES forums. Anyone that is concerned should be prepared to make a stand for what they believe in BUT remember at all times that the Unions are just the members' mouthpieces they are guided by YOU.

By and large teachers are an apathetic moaning bunch who complain like mad over a pint about working conditions/workload/wellbeing etc but then do nothing.

#Basta

bajan and blazer like this.
  6. ridleyrumpus

:mad::mad::mad:

7. ridleyrumpus

I cannot help wondering if the Academies programme is just to divide and weaken the unions. Tricky to do national collective bargaining when each school is an island entire of itself (or near as dammit)

8. ridleyrumpus

There are many ways to "move someone on" other than dismissal or disciplinary moves. I would argue that any HT that goes down the "dismissal or disciplinary" route against a Union Rep without VERY good reason is someone who should not be in management.

Making their life miserable, inspecting them to death & if those do not work then finding them "incapable" are all options that are completely impossible to prove were for any other reasons than to "raise standards".

Our NEU rep was put under such pressure that eventually they quit.

agathamorse, MarieAnn18 and Jamvic like this.
  9. baxterbasics

baxterbasics Senior commenter

Happened to me

I was NUT/ NEU rep and complained about non-teachers inspecting qualified teachers

I was observed and went from "outstanding" to informal capability.

Needless to say, I resigned. The NEU local rep was next to useless and said that she sees these sorts of things happening all the time.

agathamorse and MarieAnn18 like this.
  10. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Of course in any decent real job such actions probably WOULD be proven to be constructive dismissal, and the organisation would be sued.

Germany makes it illegal to sack union reps, so they can't be pressurised.

11. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Senior commenter

I'm sure everyone was too terrified, convinced that they would be booted out. But look at what you achieved in the time you did the job! And sadly, if anyone had taken up the role after you, I suspect they would have had a much easier time of it. In schools where reps are a fact of life, SLT/staff relations run much more smoothly.

12. bajan

bajan Occasional commenter

This, right here.

13. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Yep!

14. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

I blame the defeatist apathy on long working hours, shouting all day and the early starts.

agathamorse likes this.
  15. Bobbbs

Bobbbs Occasional commenter

You lead from the front.

If union bosses and senior staff cared about teachers, rather than nonsense social campaigns, maybe we'd have more motivated members.

I have more emails about ethnicity and gender quotas than I do on working and pay conditions.

Sisyphus_rolls_again likes this.
  16. Sisyphus_rolls_again

Sisyphus_rolls_again Established commenter

This mirrors my feelings exactly.