1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Shocking Unions support keeping British teachers low paid in crummy conditions.

Discussion in 'Education news' started by binaryhex, Jun 25, 2018.

1. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Geoff Barton, general secretary of the Association of School and College Leaders, said: “Schools need to be able to recruit from overseas because there are simply not enough teachers in this country.

Has no-one told him that there are more than enough qualified teachers in the country but 300,000 of them have chosen not to teach.

agathamorse, elder_cat and needabreak like this.
  2. teachntravel

teachntravel New commenter

But surely if they are choosing not to teach, there are still the vacancies that need to be filled...

3. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Lead commenter

Many of us had the decision as to whether to teach or not taken away from us. Many of us are ready and willing to get back into the classroom but, strangely, nobody wants us.

4. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Isn't this about not campaigning for teachers from overseas? Sounds like an immigration issue. While many of us are concerned about other major western nations perhaps we should have been looking in our own back yard.

That said immigrants have always been "imported" to meet demand for labour nothing more... then disposed of when surplus to requirements (unless they were from the British former colonies), nothing surprising there surely?

catbefriender likes this.
  5. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Lead commenter

It has been ringing in my ears for the last six years!:mad:

agathamorse likes this.
  6. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

my brother had to do that (working in Spain) just 6 months ago.

7. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

glad its not just me who thought that! Was a very good school, certainly one who can afford proper staff unless they are now diverting money elsewhere from teacher wages.

agathamorse likes this.
  8. peapicker

peapicker Star commenter

ASCL needs to get its priorities right. Its priorities should be to improve conditions of service for its members who pay their subscriptions to it, not to campaign on behalf of schools' desire to recruit overseas teachers.

Among the 300,000 will be some who should never be allowed to set foot in a classroom again - but there sure as hell won't be 300,000 of them.

9. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Lead commenter

I think that we should allow anyone with a teaching qualification to work in Britain, as this will help to drive down wages and conditions for all teachers, which must be a good thing for edubusinesses.

10. needabreak

Ouch! That shot in the foot stings, but is an interesting point.

11. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I bet if the unions called strike action to apply pressure on the government for better conditions we'd see a different definition of 'shocking union support'. Most people join unions these days as a personal insurance policy in the event of disciplinary action, not to campaign for better conditions for all.

The whole point of unions was collective bargaining with employers over pay and conditions - that collective will doesn't exist any more. It's everybody for themselves. I speak as an ex-rep.

12. install

install Star commenter

13. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Senior commenter

I'm pretty sure that the union's priorities ARE conditions of service and pay, not helping schools recruit staff from overseas. Its not very high on the agenda.

And I'm also sure that their emphasis is making use that staff arriving with us from overseas are treated fairly, not exploited by management. Because which ever country they may have come from, they are in our classrooms and they deserve the same protection as any serving teacher.

14. Bobbbs

Bobbbs Occasional commenter

The unions here are pointless.
    And it's not the fault of on the ground teachers, it's the fault of idiotic leadership. They're more concerned with social justice campaigns, LGBT campaigns in education, and gender issues. The last dozen emails from NEU I have are about having campaign days in Cambridge on Saturday. Having picnics, or stalls, to protest against tests.

Those who run Unions live in another world. They're useless and, quite frankly, more concerned with political ideologies than working conditions.

I treat my union fee for what it is, workplace insurance against SLT behaving like lunatics.

Catgirl1964, needabreak and topquark like this.
  15. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Geoff’s maybe not the brightest button in the box these days. The higher the pole you scale, the more slathered in grease ones brain becomes. Ostrich- head grease syndrome!

16. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Bobbbs, you have summarized perfectly what UK teaching unions are like. But as well as all their BHL and loony left campaigns I'm sure they are just as concerned with feathering their own nests.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  17. needabreak

Excellent idea because they really are running the asylums.

18. SEBREGIS

So what would you like the union to do for you, in your school, today?

19. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

I am sure if I saw more members at local union meetings making their point about conditions of service and workload, then I am equally sure each union would fight such action. All I often hear is moaning, ‘I can’t afford to lose a days pay to go on strike’ and nothing is going to change what’s the point.
    I’ve said it before, things are clearly not that bad yet because I do not see enough determination to change what we have got.

ridleyrumpus and Mrsmumbles like this.
  20. SEBREGIS

Strikes are a solution for bigger national issues (in my view, the ONLY solution), and I get why people don't want to do them. But a good union rep can do a lot to represent the views of the staff on issues like workload, targets, even the timetable. My old school was not at all militant, but the reps were consulted on every new policy and they were listened to because SLT knew it was good for staff morale. Its not always about fighting with management, it's about reminding them that something is an admin job, or that the marking policy they want to introduce is going to double our workload, etc etc.

Why have so many dreadful practices crept into our working lives? Because so few schools have anyone prepared to tap the HT on the shoulder and say - 'about this new policy you want to introduce ...' But we all grumble endlessly when we have to do them.

Overall - forget what the unions can or can't do at a national level. Start thinking more about what they can do in your own school.