1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Shocking admission by Union Leader

Discussion in 'Education news' started by binaryhex, Apr 28, 2019.

1. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

https://schoolsweek.co.uk/forced-ou...osing-their-livelihoods-as-schools-cut-costs/

The article didn’t shock me. What really shocked me though was Chris Keates admission that she certainly knows about it yet chooses to glibly and happily sit there, collecting her massive salary, pension contributions and perks and do nothing about it!! Can you imagine if this happened to tube or bus drivers, to doctors or to pilots? Where is her anger, where is the leadership, the call to arms? Why are teachers paying their union subs?

Pathetic response from the unions. Truly pathetic. Time to go, Keates. You are about as effective as May in a negotiation.

tonymars, lardylegs and agathamorse like this.
  2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

How do you know the union isn't supporting the teachers who this has happened to? How do you know what else she said when the newspaper edited her response down to half a sentence?

thin_ice and sparkleghirl like this.
  3. Happygopolitely

Happygopolitely Established commenter

This isn't shocking at all. Headeachers have been getting rid of teachers that quite don't fit for some time.

tonymars and lardylegs like this.
  4. garyconyers

garyconyers New commenter

I remember Chris's response to the Peter Harvey case.

He was taunted, abused and harassed on a daily basis at his school - he returned from a nervous breakdown and had to endure kids chanting abuse at him. He snapped and hit a kid with a heavy weight!

No one should be expected to work under these intolerable conditions, ever. You'd think she, representing teachers, would state this. Not exactly a controversial thing to expect for workers.

She basically said, (I am paraphrasing, can't remember exactly), that teachers shouldn't have to face those conditions unless they were fully mentally fit.

No, Chris : you should be insisting that your members shouldn't have to face abuse and harassment at all in their work!

lardylegs and agathamorse like this.
  5. Rott Weiler

This is NASUWT's official statement and her comments. It doesn't say what you allege. She says Peter was "was an exemplary teacher, in a fragile mental state, brought to breaking point by a number of critical failures on the part of his employer."

https://www.politics.co.uk/opinion-...suwt-on-the-outcome-of-peter-harvey-s-discipl

thin_ice and agathamorse like this.
  6. garyconyers

What I typed was the gist of what I remember her saying (i.e. speaking), which differs from the official statement. I can't find a clip unfortunately, but found it memorable because I was so shocked by her words.

A shame I can't find it because I realise it looks like an unfounded allegation.

7. garyconyers

How come he didn't seem to be covered by the "Dignity at work Act 2001"?

8. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

The only quote I can see in that article from the Union is “ [older teachers] being disproportionately placed on capability procedures, denied access to professional development, subject to excessive observation and scrutiny, having pay awards and pay progression withheld and put under intense pressure to leave their job”."

The situation is outrageous, of course, we all know that. But the admission? Would the OP have preferred a denial?

9. Rott Weiler

Probably because there is no such law. The Dignity at Work Act 2001 does not exist.

thin_ice likes this.
  10. thin_ice

thin_ice New commenter

Thanks for your posts here Rott.
    You are one of the few who stick to facts rather than fiction/ rumour/ hearsay or plain playing to the audience.

Keep it up on behalf of us who can’t be bothered anymore.

agathamorse likes this.
  11. garyconyers

I am not playing to any audience, nor am I relying on fiction.
    I remember hearing the words she said.

Sorry if that's not what people want top hear. I have no axe to grind, no agenda : I'm just recalling what I remember.

12. garyconyers

13. borges33

borges33 New commenter

Sorry buddy, you've posted a link to a Bill.

A Bill is not an Act of Parliament. A Bill becomes an Act if it is approved by the House of Commons and the House of Lords, and is formally agreed to by the reigning monarch.

14. Rott Weiler

15. garyconyers

Thanks for the information.

I'm not very knowledgable about politics, etc, so happy to be informed by those who know more than me.

I genuinely thought this was a real thing. Never mind.

Rott Weiler and borges33 like this.
  16. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

A quarter of teachers are 'under 30'?
    Why isn't anyone bothered by this-I cannot think of any other profession in which this is the case. Yes, some under 30s are superb teachers, but most young teachers would like and need support from older ones!

agathamorse likes this.
  17. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Lead commenter

How do you prove it is true on a case by case basis?

Almost certainly impossible, lesson observations, book checks etc are all subjective. As long as the school followed the policies there is not a lot a union can do to argue dismissal by UPS at tribunal.

The stats tell you one thing on an individual basis it us tricky

But like climate change, stats say it us happening, individual weather events tell you nothing.

Jamvic likes this.
  18. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

A total dereliction of duty here by Keates. It is happening, and has been going on for five years. Older teachers losing their jobs on a massive scale should have had her calling the troops out on strike with the reasons passionately explained. She has failed miserably to protect the jobs of teachers by showing strong leadership. How can she sleep while the excuses are found for year after year on her watch to move many over fifties on? Where is the rage? First pensions, now this. What is wrong with her?

lardylegs likes this.
  19. NinjaCurtain

NinjaCurtain New commenter

Not wanting to be pedantic but he used a heavy mass, not weight.

This did happen in a physics classroom after all.

yodaami2 and ScienceGuy like this.
  20. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

I particularly like the stat; almost a quarter up from 23%!