1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Shocked to hear teachers don't realise that the future of D&T is at stake

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by remyk69, Nov 2, 2011.

1. si_forestiero

si_forestiero New commenter

An email sent to all my D&T colleagues & those I have met at other schools - also cc'd to Senior Management at my current school.
    ===========================================
    Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2011 08:13:54 +0000
    Subject: Keeping D&T in the
    National Curriculum!!! PLEASE READ & SIGN UP!

Hi everyone -
    hope this finds you all well.
    I know the pensions debate is still overshadowing the
    headlines when it comes to education, but the possibility of D&T being
    struck off the National Curriculum as a core subject still seems pretty
    real.

Obviously, first and foremost its down to us as
    practitioners of the subject to vigourously defend D&T in as loud a voice
    aossible, so if you've not already seen it could I draw your attention the DATA
    campaign/petition which has got some high profile industry behind it
    too:

http://www.believeindandt.org.uk/

Since the new government came into power to me it has
    felt as though D&T has been on the 'hitlist', not for the good of students
    but as money-saving venture (if it's not a core subject, you dont have to fund
    it) and on an ideological whim of Mr. Gove (is it some kind of ironic joke this
    clown is Minister for Education?)

As we know, D&T ticks all the PLTS boxes all the
    time (introduced to give students the skills employers have said they want in
    candidates), promotes independence and resilience and, as such a practical
    subject, is more-or-less universally enjoyed by the students that take
    it.

I also saw this thread on a TES forum last night which
    is worth a look too:

https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/530773.aspx?s_cid=DT_News_COM

Can I encourage you to sign up, get involved, and send
    this campaign viral but forwarding to colleagues in yours and other schools,
    your respective Senior Managament Teams and others outside schools with an
    interest in education.

Thanks guys - think its really important we fight to
    promote the importance of our subject in the curriculum.

Simon

https://www.tes.co.uk/mypublicprofile.aspx?uc=1110676

2. si_forestiero

Creativity and Science/Engineering aren't mutually exclusive surely?
    Santiago Calatrava / Norman Foster etc......

3. si_forestiero

From 'Steve Jobs' by Walter Isaacson
    "...Jobs stands as the ultimate icon of inventiveness, imagination and sustained innovation. He knew that the best way to create value in the twenty-first century was to CONNECT CREATIVITY WITH TECHNOLOGY, so he built a company where leaps of the imagination were combined with REMARKABLE FEATS OF ENGINEERING. He and his colleagues were able to think differently: They developed not merely modest product advances based on focus groups, but whole new devices and services that consumers did not know they needed." (pp. xix)

4. how right you are Mrs TKO, food should be placed with science. Food has many interesting aspects other than just cooking. If it is technology then we should have some basic food analysis lessons, gives a good insight into food nutrients. for examplestudents do titrations in science and can use the same skill here to understand sugars in food.

5. Well where is DATA NOW.......................after the publication of the National curriculum review?
    Food could now do there own thing, and DT could be lumped with sex education.

6. I taught D&T for over three decades.

a) It has always had to fight for its survival. It often had to change its name, rewrite its aims or try to appear more academic and up market.
    b) Advisers were often a source of damage as well as support. They pushed the message most teachers were unhappy with
    c) Many young DT teachers do not have the skills, knowledge base or confidence to teach the subject
    d) DT (for me) is at the hub of the curriculum, not the rim. ALL other subjects serve it.
    e) It reaches out to students in a unique way that few other subjects can
    f) It especially offers something to those turned off by school for whatever reason
    g) Many in positions of influence do not understand it, let alone sympathise with it
    h) It's expensive and an easy target when money is short
    i) Many DT teachers don't or can't support it in arguement
    I could possibly trace (my) comments on this forum going back over 10 years when I saw a dire future for DT. That has just about come to pass because there are too few champions of the subject; it lacks a clear rationale and the teaching of it is poor in many schools.
    I find that inexcusable bearing in mind it is the most creative, innovative, exciting, fulfilling ......... etc subject in the curriculum.

7. I could not agree more Aeros.

8. Totally agree with you.
    Having just read/scanned the report i also have great concerns for the future of D&T. From my own experiences teaching in a range of schools I have found that the Senior Management team very rarely have come from a creative back ground. That also evidently follows through to the advisers, government experts etc.. They very often have very little understanding of the subject and how many of the subjects that are taught with in D&T are cross curricular especially with Science and Maths. Towards the end of the report it has a table which breaks down the subjects into learning areas~ Understanding the World ~ Technology is to be taught in Science !!!!!!! I am involved with running a G&T STEM ( Science, Technology, Engineering , Maths) club with a Maths/ Science teacher, the projects that have been introduced as recommended for STEM are ALL ones that are covered very often in D&T projects country wide. The teacher was very surprised that this was the case and had no idea how much D&T in-compasses Science/ Maths !!! Technology can not be taught fully without putting a practical application to the science behind it. We all also need to start promoting D&T in our own schools and raise the awareness of the importance of our subject with our colleagues ,senior management, students and parents. Getting off my soap box now!!!

9. Having just read/scanned the report i also have great concerns for the future of D&T. From my own experiences teaching in a range of schools I have found that the Senior Management team very rarely have come from a creative back ground. That also evidently follows through to the advisers, government experts etc.. They very often have very little understanding of the subject and how many of the subjects that are taught with in D&T are cross curricular especially with Science and Maths. Towards the end of the report it has a table which breaks down the subjects into learning areas~ Understanding the World ~ Technology is to be taught in Science !!!!!!! I am involved with running a G&T STEM
    ( Science, Technology, Engineering , Maths) club with a Maths/ Science teacher, the projects that have been introduced as recommended for STEM are ALL ones that are covered very often in D&T projects country wide. The teacher was very surprised that this was the case and had no idea how much D&T in-compasses Science/ Maths !!! Technology can not be taught fully without putting a practical application to the science behind it. We all also need to start promoting D&T in our own schools and raise the awareness of the importance of our subject with our colleagues ,senior management, students and parents. Getting off my soap box now!!!

10. I am DT RM/Graphics/Product. My Degree is in Product Design. I work in the supply game these days. Going to different schools I see a lot of poor RM projects at KS3, haphazard unfinished projects, accompanied by unthoughtful student paperwork.
    Sometimes I support student teachers and I see death by powerpoint. Mind you, they have to put the ECM and SEAL and all the rest into the lesson plan.
    DT at KS3 is not only about industry and manufacturing. DT at KS3 is in my opinion about 'life skills'. Boys are introduced to the craft skills of cooking and sewing, and girls are introduced to the craft skills of working in wood, metal, plastic. Before CDT/DT there was a big gender orientation. A fantastic DT success so far is breaking this gender orientation, both genders experience all the different craft skills, the sewing, food, the working with materials, electronics.
    In my opinion DT at KS3 is vital for all students be they Maths and Science gifted or perhaps less so.
    If you go down the, 'lets call it engineering'. The engineering high rollers when asked will want more Maths and Science Skills, not be overly bothered about DT.
    However, somewhere along the line future engineers need to have experienced handling some tools. Without DT at KS3 where are they going to get some hands on tools and materials experience.
    The Design bit of DT. How much Design (creative problem solving and communicating solutions) should be at the teachers discretion, and how comfortable they are with the designing side of things, and the capability of the student group. A good DT RM project carries a teaching group.
    KS4 well choices. Engineering often complain that they are not getting enough females into the business. Well the girls will need to have worked a bit on the tools to see if they like this sort of thing. Then maybe if they like Maths and Science as well, they will have the idea that making and wanting to know how things are manufactured is for them.
    So what should DT teachers do. In school sod excessive paperwork and some elements of the 'Design Process', and make good aritfacts/objects/products or whatever you like to call them.

11. So what is happening? Any decisions made ?

12. It's shameful that this government don't work together. We have Cameron saying he wants a nation of innovators, designers etc and his education minister probably wants students to do the classics that he did at public school before he picked up the family fortune!
    I, like many others, was disappointed that Gove didn't get the boot during the reshuffle

13. Have to say totally agree with Heidi and totally DISAGREE with food being placed in science???!!

We place too much emphasis on written science in the subject and nowhere near enough emphasis on practical skills.

More learning of high end Michelin starred cooking, experimentation with hydro colloids in food and dish / menu design please and less emphasis on written science!!

We have to take this approach if we want to see the subject survive and be up to date modern and innovative

14. Wile7

Wile7 New commenter

I think this needs a bump.....only 2 days to respond to the ridiculous dofe/government proposals so get your feedback in via the link in the first post (believe in D&T) please!

15. Dont worry, you wont have all those other subjects on your timetable, you simply wont have a timetable!!

Teachers are being made redundant you know!
    [​IMG]

16. And I see a lot of product design graduates and teachers who cant make a *** thing!!