1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SHOCK! School leaders asked by own Union to please behave ethically

Discussion in 'Education news' started by binaryhex, Jan 8, 2019.

1. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

2. gainly

gainly Established commenter

3. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

The automated censor messes it up.
    The target of the link is on the news page for the moment.

4. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Lead commenter

“I’ve noted in my many years of headship that many of my colleagues seem to feel that they are more important if they have got a ginormous leadership group," she added.

“One head said to me a couple of weeks ago, ‘I have got a leadership group of 11 assistant heads.' First, how can you afford it? And secondly, who wants 11 assistant heads dogging your footsteps everywhere?

“Don’t buy another assistant head if you can’t afford to put a maths teacher in a room.”

I have been told that there is no money for X, even though it is in the SiP because we are in the red and there is no money for anything.

Why are we in the red? Because for some reason it was seceded we needed and new DH, even though preen one is now .6.

Interviewed two and.....employed both. So we have gone from 0.6 to 2.6 DH. There goes a hundred grand or so,

I have lost track of how many AHT's at the moment.

5. simonCOAL

simonCOAL Occasional commenter

This is the problem.

Tiresome little empire builders who are in it for their own ends.

6. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

It sounds to me as if responsibilities have been muddled.
    Schools have always needed a fair amount of distributed leadership - in the past this was mostly in the form of pastoral and departmental responsibility. I guess that some modern ways of thinking about leadership reckon that having a head of history who got really good at that was a bit limiting. They couldn't be asked to do anything else - although back in the '80s in one of the best led schools I ever worked in, heads of department were encouraged to do whole school stuff.
    I'm not convinced by an overlarge group of SLT and then insufficient middle leadership. However, it would be interesting to hear a counter view. I'm now almost out of the mainstream system.

BetterNow likes this.
  7. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

So why is it ok for the news page to headline the word w i l l y when it is barred on here?

That apart, it says something about people and the system that they actually need telling this!

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  8. gainly

Thank you

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  9. gainly

"It was drawn up by a high-powered commission, with members including Ofsted chief inspector Amanda Spielman".

Yet Ofsted have caused this obsession with results at all costs.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  10. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I've made a short link to the article

https://bit.ly/2TAtYdY

I'm rather amused that TES have created a censor filter on the Forums that censors the headline that TES have themselves used in theTES magazine! @TES_Rosaline :)

The censored word, no doubt everyone can guess, is w i l l y [EDIT I just saw monica already said that]

11. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Oh f f sake! :):):)

12. Mrsmumbles

13. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

That's why I posted the alternative short link to it in post #10 that you have Liked!

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  14. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

What this says to me is that ASCL have had to deal with a number of relatively low key incidents of off rolling, exam tricks which have led to sackings or resignations. Remember we only see the more serious ones that get in the press. The other thing is that it tells me how disconnected senior leadership have become in that their own association has to tell them how to behave towards their staff. It just reinforces how f**ked up the education service has become.

Mrsmumbles and JohnJCazorla like this.
  15. Mrsmumbles

Is it even, really, a service now? I think it’s more of a sorry shower of ...., and they’ve just forecast a tsunami of it, heading towards an academy near us soon...

mothergoose2013 likes this.
  16. Mrsmumbles

This entire situation is hilariously tragic. Censorship gone bonkers. Is this what they call ‘Hinds sight’?!!

mothergoose2013 likes this.