1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Shiver me timbers.....

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Nellyfuf2, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Lead commenter

Oo just got a request from National Legal Deposit Agency for copies of my first book.
    This is what comes of pretending to be a publisher!
    I'm rumbled now
    Archived only with the best........
    (Made me go a bit shakey though!)

2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Well done! :D

sbkrobson likes this.
  3. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Lead commenter

I wonder if they will like it? I don't think they really deal with self published books! I might get into trouble but then again, they should have done their homework I think.

4. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Who are they?

5. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Lead commenter

It is not the British Library it is the other depositories ie the Bodleian, Ireland and Scotland Wales and Cambridge they are entitled to claim a free copy of any published material. Actually it does not matter about being self published I think. You are supposed to put anything published into the British Library Deposit Scheme within a month of publication - just one copy, and if the other major libraries want one, they have to ask your publisher.
    And that's me.

colacao17 and sbkrobson like this.
  6. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

That's the second time they've been mentioned today.
    Earlier on they announced a veto anything produced by Jeffrey Tobin.

(Sorry-the story is the gift that keeps on giving.)

7. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Lead commenter

I can publish yours Ivar. I've got a spare ISBN. You have to pay for printing it though.
    It will sell better than my books. I could not put it down. It was the velcro....... no not really, it was pretty good reading. And there is a market for your book and not so much for mine.
    We could get it into the

Bodleian Library Oxford University, The Cambridge University Library, National Library of Scotland, National Library of Wales and Trinity College Dublin and in accordance with the Legal Deposit Libraries Act 2003 or the Irish Copyright and Related Rights Act 2000, as appropriate

and your strivings would not have been in vain!

8. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

9. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Typos, my bad
    "on"
    "toobin".

10. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Lead commenter

The Cloth Industry in Yorkshire, Industrialisation, early Methodism in Yorkshire -
    But it was just me faking it to make it, because I am not a writer - but I pretended I was if that makes any sense. Nor do I aspire to being a writer but I wanted the story to be told and to be preserved.
    It was really interesting doing all the publishing - hard work and took a long time.
    I've another about a famous person and local crime etc.
    And another about the cloth trade and more.
    And yet another story which is five chapters in and I've not looked at it for weeks. The whole lot will lead to the origins of a famous female Victorian historian.
    But I would rather be doing what you do. I never got on with that and let it all slip away.

11. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Thanks for that Nelly. I have four books on Amazon Kindle publishing, the first two I went with the palaver of being obtainable in print (on demand by Amazon) but the second two I didn't bother as the impression I get is that the vast majority of people (ecept old Luddites like me) just download to a Kindle or other such device. The first two had to have ISBN numbers, but I did not understand quite why. If published just as Kindle versions you do not need an ISBN. I have printed copies of mine using my printer and a binding method I found on Youtube, but they are hardly professional, and I would never get a printer to do copies as the volumes would be silly (what the hell would I do with them). Doing my own is labour intensive, and still not cheap with the niggest (ripoff) cost being the inkjet cartridges. I am waiting for one of the publishing houses to "discover" me and offer me a similar contract to what Richard Osman got! I have not submitted anything to the British Library as I was not aware I was supposed to.

12. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Good for you, @Nellyfuf2 . It sounds like a labour of love.

13. colacao17

colacao17 Lead commenter

sbkrobson likes this.
  14. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

That sounds interesting @Nellyfuf2 - my great-grandfather's family, the Kassapians from Armenia, were very well known in the textile industry in Yorkshire.

15. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Lead commenter

I can't find them with a brief google. I'll keep my eye out for them when I research.

Lalad likes this.
  16. TheOracleAtDelphi

TheOracleAtDelphi Established commenter

That does sound interesting Nellyfuf2...would fit in quite nicely with the OU course I took a while back although I don't think they run it any more...

17. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Lead commenter

Kassapian - Mohair merchants Bradford?

18. ajrowing

ajrowing Star commenter

I used to enjoy asking for my great grandfathers autobiography from the bookstack when I was at university. He had it self-published. I probably only did it about once a year, but it still meant it was ordered more often than average I think.

19. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Charlotte Bronte's 'Shirley' is centered around the cloth industry in West Yorkshire. You get the Methodist, the Luddites and the Poor Law etc.

Smashing the frames is a major occupation.

20. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Lead commenter

Is it archived? Anywhere?