1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Shipping company recommendations for China.

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Xtinelove, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Xtinelove

Xtinelove New commenter

Hi all, so we're off to China in late July . . . !

We're shipping very few items to China as our apartment will be furnished so we don't need to ship that much - things like framed pictures, kitchen items, some lamps and bedroom items etc. Would anyone recommend a good/reputable company for this?

Also, we will be in a hotel before the school organise a viewing for an apartment - where should we get our items delivered to?!

Thanks!

2. Helen-Back

Helen-Back Occasional commenter

3. makhnovite

makhnovite Occasional commenter

Pickfords, Crown, Santa Fe, door to door, pricey but easy. Excess baggage, cheaper but bothersome. It's up to you!

grdwdgrrrl and Xtinelove like this.
  4. Wannabsupawoman

Wannabsupawoman New commenter

We used Pickford's and Asian Tigers and both were great and easy but definitely not cheap! Seven seas is supposed to be very good.
    Chances are, you will arrive long before your shipping does (ours left the UK in June and arrived in China by November). I gave the shipping company the school name and address and then, when our things arrived in China, I provided our home address.

Xtinelove likes this.
  5. Helen-Back

Helen-Back Occasional commenter

We used seven seas from UK to Thailand and would recommend them. They have at least 10 regional offices in the UK. You pack it yourself. Allied pickford/Crown/etc will cost a fortune. I've heard good things about excess baggage too, but never used them.

Xtinelove likes this.
  6. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Check the cost of booking extra bags onto a plane and take it with you. Price around 90GBP per bag pre paid and you can take 10 on the flight. Each case can hold 22kg and you can buy 4.99 luggage in many bargin stores. When you book your ticket you book the extra baggage you want to take.

No waiting for shipping to arrive and no custom charges to be paid. Some schools will pay a shipping allowance to cover the costs. If you only have 100kg its quite cheap.

Quickest option and least complex I have used.

You can not get air cargo or sea shipment past customs before you get your work visa issued. Extra flight baggage you take with you, pick up at the airport and no custom charges.

Xtinelove and Helen-Back like this.
  7. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Fully agree with Feb 31st - if you can do it with extra baggage then go that way.
    Much easier to arrange and you can buy literally anything in China (once you know your way around Taobao etc)

8. SecondPlace

SecondPlace Occasional commenter

Santa Fe or Crown, from my experience, would be my recommendations if you use a shipping company.

We found it advantageous for the company to have offices in the place we were shipping to and from.

9. mermy

mermy Occasional commenter

I agree with february and rouxx, who said to take everything straight with you. We arrived with 11 suitcases (3 people) and had everything with us. No waiting, no customs tax. School reimbursed extra baggage as part of the relocation allowance without problems (£100 per extra suitcase with China Eastern, but you get 2 as standard allowance anyway). Once here, you will realise that everything is available online. Don't forget that you are moving to the factory of the world! Just bring photos / sentimental things, the rest you can buy once settled.

Xtinelove likes this.
  10. StrangePanda

StrangePanda New commenter

We’ve used Seven Seas, but from China (rather than to). It was fine and reasonably priced. They will also store for free until you want delivery (up to a certain length of time). I did hear that some people, who shipped to China, had to jump through hoops to get stuff through customs. If you can, go with excess baggage. BA is actually quite reasonable with this.

For household items, we had an allowance and didn’t bother to ship. That said, we were in a rather lovely school, which even had our beds made and fridge stocked for our arrival. Maybe ask someone already at the school what you might expect.

Xtinelove likes this.
  11. hopetoteach10

hopetoteach10 New commenter

Our schools shipping allowance is 3500 RMB per year. When I got charged $75 excess baggage at Taiwan airport at Christmas for having 30.5kg and they only allowed 23kg, my school paid it as a "shipping" allowance rather than my flight allowance. yay! So it didn't come off my flight allowance.

12. Xtinelove

Xtinelove New commenter

Thank you all so much for the useful advice! X

13. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

Depends whether your new school will cover shipping costs.

Helen-Back likes this.