1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Shipman programme. Worth a look.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lindenlea, Oct 1, 2020.

1. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I thought I knew all about this story but the three parter on BBC2 was well worth watching.

One investigator described Shipman as grooming his patients, using above average attentiveness and gaining high levels of trust with patients and their families.

The programme focussed on individuals and illustrated how they were in the prime of life and many of them younger than I am now. Chilling to write that. The couple who led the fight to get a public inquiry were so ordinary yet so impressive and Dame Janet Smith was another hero in the story - how compassionate!

What a barely believable story!

2. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Agreed. I watched all three and was shocked by what I didn't know and the fact that, if anything, social care for the elderly is now worse, and people do not care for elderly people any better twenty years on. Successive governments, including this one, just shove it under the carpet hoping it will go away, while actually being responsible for the deaths of old people to a massive extent vastly outweighing Shipman, under the disguise of "needs" of the country. Even with all the supposed points from the public enquiry possibly being addressed by government and the BMC (I do not know if they have been) there still does not appear to be any proper safeguards in place to prevent another Shipman, especially in more remote areas unlike Hyde. When my mother died two years ago the cause was put down as "old age", and I had thought that was to be no longer used.

lindenlea likes this.
  3. Norsemaid

Norsemaid Lead commenter

I haven't seen the third episode yet ( iPlayer tonight ) ,but the first two were very good . The GMC though ought to hang its head in shame , what a toothless bunch they were and it's easy to see why and how events like the Shipman case occurred.
    It was very chilling in many ways but I'm pleased that a proper investigation was brought about - let's hope that lessons and warnings have been heeded for the future .

4. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I meant GMC above. (BMC made rubbish cars in the 60s).

5. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

We watched (Mrs G is a nurse and was keener than me to see the series). At the time of the trial I was under the impression that Shipman thought he was doing good, in a strange way, by ending the suffering of the dying - but I no longer have that impression.

I fell asleep during the first episode - did they mention that Shipman was probably a drug addict (when he was working in Todmordon he caught forging prescriptions of pethidine for his own use)?

6. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

I read a book by a midwife, and she mentioned the kindly GP who went above and beyond, and helped out at fetes etc. When she revealed it was Shipman...
    Your point about the care homes is very telling, though. We open schools and pubs, but don't let vulnerable people in hospitals or care homes have visitors. Our GPs are also practically shut-if you can't use a phone due to hearing, and you aren't IT literate, which is the case for many people, how do you get an appointment now? You can't go in and queue up (but it's fine for someone the same age to work in a school!)
    I'd thought he only killed older people when I first read the reports-now obviously I'm not saying that's ok, but if he had been practising euthanasia, it raises other questions for discussion. It does make you think about the dys when we all had a GP who knew us, though-a friend of mine from India was complaining about the health service here, and didn't believe me that 3 decades ago you had a GP you knew well, who would come to the house in the evening if needed!