1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Shifting goals - SATs results

Discussion in 'Primary' started by amaryllis2, May 23, 2011.

1. Advice please!!
    Last year my head told me not to worry if I didn't get many Level 3s in the SATs results for Year2. Duly I obliged, but was then criticised for not doing well enough. I took it all with a pinch of salt at the time and made sure that I spent more time this year prepping my class, but was very taken aback when told that my head has asked an A.S.T. to come and work with me till the end of this term 'because of last year's SATs results.' Am I justified in feeling a bit put out by this or should I just keep the salt flowing and enjoy the input?

2. Advice please!!
    Last year my head told me not to worry if I didn't get many Level 3s in the SATs results for Year2. Duly I obliged, but was then criticised for not doing well enough. I took it all with a pinch of salt at the time and made sure that I spent more time this year prepping my class, but was very taken aback when told that my head has asked an A.S.T. to come and work with me till the end of this term 'because of last year's SATs results.' Am I justified in feeling a bit put out by this or should I just keep the salt flowing and enjoy the input?

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I'd feel miffed, but would get over it. Someone working with you will lighten your workload.

Probably it is someone who just knows how to get the best results on the day, not necessarily a better teacher nor someone who gets accurate results. At least you'll learn how to play the system.

4. Why do you need to play the system though with the KS1 Sats which don't have to be reported? Our Sats are really low key and just one tiny piece of the assessment picture. I find it puzzling any head would be concerned about their outcome, as it is the teacher assessment that counts, not the test.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Our results are reported to the LA and they do want test results as well as TA.

KS1 results also help to show progress. Ie from entry to end of KS1 and then KS1 to KS2. They matter a lot when you are trying to run a school and look for weaknesses.

6. We also have to report our sats paper marks to the LA.

7. We also have to report both to LA, however, I cannot see why any school would want to over-inflate their KS1 data. This just makes it more difficult to hit targets at KS2 which is where a lot of the 'progress' data is taken from.
    Confusing.... I have to fight to give my L3's their levels, rather than being asked for more!

8. What is reported to the LA isdictated by the 'Assessment & Reporting Arrangements' (latest available at : http://www.qcda.gov.uk/resources/publication.aspx?id=37c3685b-dfa7-4eba-abf7-2b3a14df79ec).
    Section 8.1 states:
    Schools are not required to report task and test results to their local authority or the next school when a child moves. However, where the school has recorded this data it can choose whether to include these results in any data provided to the local authority or next school (see section 8.4). Local authorities do not give task and test results to the DfE.
    ...Your assessment is your decision, whatever the test results show!

9. Yes, you are justified. Results are not important: educating the children is. Go and be the best teacher you can be.
    Saying that, having an AST around to bounce ideas off is quite useful so make the most of him/her, but remember that ASTs are not perfect and you will have strengths that you must not play down.