1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sherlock

Discussion in 'Personal' started by coffeekid, Jan 2, 2016.

1. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I was looking for the Christmas TV thread but I think it must have slipped off even page 2.
    Anyway - did you watch? I thought it was really good. I loved the parallel world aspect even though I was initially dismayed when the storyline split from the Victorian scenario.
    I'm glad it didn't disappoint, as it's the only piece of Christmas tv I've watched this year. Oh, and there was a teaser for a new series - yuss!

racroesus likes this.
  2. Penguinitis

Penguinitis Occasional commenter

I really enjoyed it, several laughs, a bit of terror and some oohs. Grauniad readers are very dismissive of it this morning but IMHO it was quality tv. Am really looking forward to War and Peace too ...

3. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Have recorded it - crossing fingers, it's good. :)

4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Absolute crock of proverbial.

Was looking forward to it.

That and Dickensian? Appalling.

aspensquiver_2 likes this.
  5. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Whoops, hope I didn't post too many spoilers there. Don't read anymore!
    @sabrinakat

6. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

@Penguinitis - yeah, well, they're Guardian readers. ;- )

lexus300 and aspensquiver_2 like this.
  7. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

@grumpydogwoman - I thought Dickensian was rubbish, but Sherlock was fun.

8. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I'm a Guardian reader so, as predicted, I hated it.

But I'm a Digital Spy reader too and they usually worship the ground Moffatt walks upon. Not this time.

9. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

More rubbish from Messrs Moffat & Gatiss.

10. Vince_Ulam

The only interesting thing in the entire ninety minutes is the hint that Mary Watson is not all she appears to be.

11. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I think I enjoyed it. There were a couple of things that I thought were trying too hard to be clever but they were fleeting. My eldest daughter loved it.

12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I'd recommend 'And then there were none'. It'll be on BBC IPlayer... wife and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

racroesus likes this.
  13. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Agree with this.
    @lanokia - I think we've recorded that.

lanokia likes this.
  14. Vince_Ulam

Anyone who saw the last episode of the third series of Sherlock and the penultimate episode of the most recent Doctor Who series will recognise the same expanded time motif. I wonder if Moffat cares that anyone notices his lazy writing.

15. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I really dislike Dr Who.

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  16. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Not a bad effort I thought, with more than a few nods to the excellent Jeremy Brett series. Worth watching. Certainly the most original thing I've seen on TV this holiday period.

17. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I would have much preferred it if it had stayed all Victorian. The last part was just irritating, is it real? Is he dead, ooh, Sherlock's off his head on drugs - cooool! No it's not real, yes it is, maybe. Very disappointing I was enjoying it up to then.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  18. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I felt like that initially, Mangle, but then I just went with it.

19. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I can't be doing with Doctor Who/Sherlock or any of that ilk. I've tried Sherlock n the past and apart from th fact that I didn't like the programme, I also dislike Bennydick Cummerbund so there's not much to recommend it for me.

The Jeremy Brett one was better, although not on my must see list.

20. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I think I'm kind of the opposite... I only watch Sherlock for Cumberbatch and Freeman... also quite like Gatiss.

But the plotting/writing is ... well it doesn't excite me.