1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sherlock - how did he survive that then?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by saz0908, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Was it Moriarty's body? but then how did it look like him. We only saw Sherlock's body through watson's eyes. Did the knock from the bicycle impair his senses?

2. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I thought it was Moriaty's body too. Sherlock must have put his clothes on him after he shot himself.

3. ShadowMan

ShadowMan New commenter

Definitely something to do with the bicycle - and the young girl Sherlock said he needed.

4. Obv. it was Moriarty's body. And Molly (the young girl) is a pathologist type, isn't she?

I only saw that one episode - it was quite good, although I wasn't keen on the actor who played Moriarty - too much eye-rolling and 'madness' for my liking.

5. catmother

catmother Star commenter

She does work in the pathology department,doesn't she? I assumed that she made sure the body was identified as Sherlock's.

6. ShadowMan

ShadowMan New commenter

But it's not obvious. Watch it again. Sherlock, standing on the edge, instructs Watson to keep watching. Watson does. As do we, as Sherlock is seen stepping off the edge. There is no opportunity to switch bodies.

7. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Moriaty's body, in Sherlock's coat - possibly even with a Sherlock mask on (how else did the kidnapped girl mistake Sherlock as the kidnapper?). Molly would make the identification of the body

8. By 'obvious', I'm talking about storyline, not what we saw on the screen.

9. ShadowMan

ShadowMan New commenter

Ooh. I'd forgotten about kidnapped girl mistaking Moriarty for Sherlock.

10. Doglover

Doglover Occasional commenter

It was something to do with trucks and mattresses and passing cyclists.
    Sherlock chose the building where he was meeting Moriarty. Molly helped him. He placed a truck with mattresses....the passing cyclist and Watson was temporarily distracted by it - Sherlock dropped Moriarty and then jumped on the truck, which drove away.
    His brother was in on it. Two suited men apparently went in the ambulance with the paramedics - government officials.
    I cannot take any credit for this - one of my facebook contacts sussed it all :)

11. I don't think its sussed at all. Are you saying he jumped at the same time as dropping Moriarty? How would he be sure he wasn't seen?
    Also I would not fancy my chances jumping from that height and landing on mattresses.
    More cogitating to be done I think.

12. Doglover

He obviously didn't jump at the same time he pushed Moriarty. Thinking about it again,John must have seen him jump, and then he was knocked over by the cyclist. I had actually forgotten he was knocked over.
    He might have got Molly to help him, or someone else. John saw him jump, but didn't see him hit the ground.
    Sherlock knew he wouldn't be seen because he had set it all up that way - John Watson was deliberately knocked down by the passing cyclist, to distract him and make sure he didn't see.
    I suspect he also used the power of suggestion - it wasn't Sherlock on the ground, but Watson was expecting to see Sherlock on the ground so that's what he did see.
    What I said about the lorry with mattresses was somewhat tongue in cheek, but he obviously had some kind of ingenius plan.

13. lizgaskell

lizgaskell Occasional commenter

Ooh, really interesting thread. I too have only watched this episode but really enjoyed it. I swas o sure that Sherlock would swap bodeis with Moriarty- in fact, I was so bloomin sure of my theory that I told hubby that the deerstalker would be brought back in to reinforce the illusion! Egg on face as we both try and puzzle it out. Lovin the 'trucks, matresses and cyclists' idea though and looking forward to Series 3.
    Nite nite
    Liz

14. Doglover

Perhaps Sherlock gave Holmes something medicinal at some stage that made him believe he was seeing something he didn't actually see. After all, he didn't speak to him in person.
    Also, Watson assumed that it was Moriarty who had made up the story about Mrs Hudson being shot. Sherlock wouldn't go and Watson was horrified, but of course he wouldn't go if he had made it up. He had to get rid of Watson to carry out his plan with Moriarty.

15. What about the assassin who was supposed to kill Watson? What was he watching? How did he know Sherlock had killed himself?

16. But Moriarty had very dark brown eyes and Sherlock had pale eyes and that was one thing you saw of the body lying on the ground - the eyes were pale! I know contacts etc can come into play - but isn't that getting a bit convoluted then?

17. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

I have no idea - I only saw the last ten mins.
    The falling person was waving their arms so sherlock must have jumped unless he had a clockwork dummy in his valise.

18. Doglover

Did we really see Sherlock on the ground - we saw that through Watson's eyes.
    The assassin was fooled in the same way that everyone else was.

19. Crowbob

Crowbob Lead commenter

But he did know that the foreign assassins wouldn't leave him alone because they thought he had "the key". They would leave him alone if they thought he was dead (similar reasoning to Sherlock not telling Watson he was still alive in the book).

20. Very interesting thread. Not sure I can add anything.

However, when it comes to "is he really dead" - do you believe that this is also applicable to Moriarty? If so (i.e., he's not going to be like the Daleks) then to keep faith with the original, perhaps he must also fall to die (ok; shooting oneself in the head is pretty final, but all the same). In the original (I believe) Moriarty died when he fell off the Reichenbach Falls. Later, Holmes reveals that he faked his death so as to allow Moriarty's remaining henchmen to reveal themselves.