1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Shenzhen with a Family of four

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by bethanieedmondson, Dec 3, 2017.

1. bethanieedmondson

bethanieedmondson New commenter

Is $30,000 annually, with housing and taxes paid for, enough to live on in Shenzhen with some travel?
    I would be supporting two kids and a trailing spouse.

2. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Live yes, travel no. China is very expensive to travel around, especially when there are four of you.

Also check out medical insurance for your family in case of emergencies or just the basic illnesses. Treatment at a private clinic is expensive and local hospitals can be dramatic at the best of times.

bethanieedmondson likes this.
  3. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

When you say 'taxes paid for' do you mean tax free? That's unusual in China, so check it's accurate.

$30,000 US dollars? Wow, that's low!

How much is your housing allowance? What area of Shenzhen?

I live in Shenzhen BTW. If you want some info let me know and I'll start a conversation with you.

4. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Hello. Did someone mention my name? Yes, this overweight swamp-dweller is currently in Shenzhen. If you have not already done so, then you can read about some of my escapades in my bog, Bulgaria with Noodles. You can find it at www.bulgariawithnoodles.blogspot.com and yes, Mrs Hippopotamus and I really like Shenzhen. It;s a great city. This thirty thousand dollars does not sound wonderful, but alas some schools in SZ do not pay well. The really vital thing is your accommodation allowance. If that is pretty good, then you should be able to save a bit. At the moment we are paying 65000RMB a month for our two-bedroom apartment in Futain.

5. tiler

tiler New commenter

Before you fall of your chair, I think the hippo means 6500 RMB a month (and in Futian).

Helen-Back and blueskydreaming like this.
  6. bethanieedmondson

bethanieedmondson New commenter

Thanks for all your feedback! I've decided to turn the position down. I had warning bells going off in my head and desperately wanted to ignore them but alas...

7. the hippo

Yes, oops! Thank you tiler. Yes, too many zeroes. 6500 RMB a month is actually quite cheap for Futian! Generally speaking, a lot of landlords seem to prefer letting their properties to laowai rather than locals, but I am not quite sure why. An apartment in Shekou could easily cost a lot more, as that area of SZ seems to be full of Americans. You might pay a bit less, maybe 5000 RMB, if you go somewhere like Fumin. Also a single-bedroom flat will be a bit cheaper too. Anyway, you can learn much more about the joys of life in Shenzhen by reading my blog, www.bulgariawithnoodles.blogspot.com

8. blueskydreaming

1. they can charge us more rent because we foreigners are always rich
    2. we foreigners are 'cleaner and more tidy' apparently (overheard conversation between rental agent and landlord) - I think implied meaning was that we have more respect for the property we are renting

9. blueskydreaming

Good call. Always listen to the warning bells.

10. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

Its OK guys he just a very old pachyderm!

'a lot of landlords seem to prefer letting their properties to laowai rather than locals'

blueskydreaming has it about right but definitley a severe understatment. I was chatting to our agent the other day and apart from the general wear and tear which was severe, the local recently departedclients took all the light bulbs with them when they left and even some of the door handles. On the other hand our place (its a new apartment block btw) still looks like new.

11. Fer888

Fer888 Occasional commenter

We were looking for a new apartment in August. Found one we liked but the landlord wanted to charge an extra 1000 rmb because of me. They made the mistake of telling the agent that who then told my wife. We decided not to take the place so their greed led to them losing out on some good tenants

12. blueskydreaming

:D You're giving me ideas. Definitely going to steal the sofa when I move out of this place!

13. the hippo

Mrs H and I have a good relationship with our landlady. She has always acted quickly whenever there has been a problem. Some things, however, are beyond her control, such as the delightful children upstairs who want to start their piano practice and / or violin practice at 10.30pm, long after tired old hippos have gone to bed.

14. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

As you know hippo they will have been to school all day, been to their private tutor all evening, when else are they going to practice their music, its your own fault for wanting to go to bed at a ridiculously early hour.

Most of ours just spend all night playing Overwatch, its an Asian computer game, legendary one!