1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Shenzhen Schools BEWARE!!!

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by notlikely44, Dec 31, 2011.

1. BEWARE Shenzhen international schools even if they call themselves a 'college'! They are NOT all created equal! If you are looking at a vacancy in one 'particular' school there headed by a very nasty, mean and psychotic pom check around the net to make sure it is not this school. It is an A level school, there are only a couple in Shenzhen, and you can contact people there directly to confirm by using their first name followed by @alevel.com.cn
    Most of the foreign teachers there are leaving or want to after only a couple of months, you do not want to be stuck at this school for a two year contract that will likely be breached by the head, the greedy Chinese owner does not care what goes on as long as the money keeps coming in. The staff asked for a raise in salary, something that had not happened for 5-6 years and the head actually REDUCED the salary AND is cheating people out of their end of contract bonus. On top of this you are expected to put in a 60 hour week plus weekends AND if your grades are not A* you will be sacked! Big deal, a couple of kids get into some Oxbridge schools that people have never heard of - this the kids did on their own, nothing really to do with the staff who are miserable and could care less about the students because the head is so bad. He does stuff that would see him fired in the real world or worse....if the staff had their way...and maybe they will someday!
    Blogs have also been put on http://www.eslteachersboard.com/cgi-bin/review/index.pl?read=31875
    Check it out and trust us, my partner and I worked there 4 years, what a mistake! It took too much of a toll on us! You have NO time for a private life and are completely controlled and stressed all the time. The money might seem ok but Shenzhen is one of, if not the most, expensive city in China - in fact MORE expensive than Melbourne or Sydney for accommodation. Smaller cities are more fun and cheaper and you will not work yourself to death, you will have a life. This psychotic principal is a real ***, as we say in Oz!

2. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

I presume, as you are a member of staff, that this also includes you.
    By the way, the school is in the real world. There is no other.
    So you discovered that some schools are ****. Not exactly a shocker now, is it?
    Better luck with the next position.

3. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Yes, that is an annoying habit, and causes such confusion that before you know where you are, people start calling Oxbridge colleges 'schools'.
    An astute move in these troubled times. Local law will not allow us to do this, alas.
    I rather like the sound of this compatriot. There aren't many real characters left on the circuit these days.
    Aussies have been banging on for years about emerging from the tacky old British empire and becoming a power in Asia. Now you see where the power really is, in Asia. How exquisitely ironic that you should be slaving away both for a power-perverted pom and for a coin-crazed Chinaman.
    I hope you haven't made the mistake of moaning about this to any member of the local workforce.
    Indeed? So why doesn't your sad ***** of a principal reduce staff salaries to zero, since the students require no assistance?
    Karvol has had his accurate say about this dismal self-deluding expression.
    'The real world' for you, no doubt. Lovely places both, and they will welcome you back as sadder, wiser people.

4. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

...before you noticed that it wasn't for you? And there was I thinking you Aussies were a lot sharper than us Poms.

5. C'mon Aussie C'mon....
    Pay cuts on an expat salay, luxury. I'm expecting my second one in March. [​IMG]
    Returning to Australia is an option but still can't decide. J'attendrai, the song, I mean.[​IMG]

6. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

... but you surely have a bigger stake/commitment in your 'adopted' country than does the OP after his/her four horrific years of deprivation and moral squalor in China.
    The worse things get here - and the Republic took a ferocious tax-bite out of our December salaries - the more determined I am to stand shoulder to shoulder with the admirably plucky and good-humoured local folk and see things through.
    Although... if there were to be a vacant headship in Shenzen, with a monstrous salary and unlimited power, then naturally I would owe it to my family to point my snout towards the trough.

7. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

If the OP feels an overwhelming desire to slag off this-or-that school in China, why doesn't he or she write a bitter, twisted and sarcastic review of the school for the ISR? That's what it's for, but this forum isn't.
    Maybe I am just a slow-witted and smelly old hippo, but I do not understand why the OP stayed at this dreadful school for four years. And I thought that it was us poms who were always whingeing...

8. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

When I was working in the M.E. my place of work went through a restructuring that meant 95% of the staff were told that their contracts would be terminated. It was all done fairly well. At least a couple of months of notice was given, all gratuities and terminal benefits were fully respected and everybody was paid their dues. I was happy enough as I was leaving anyway.
    One of the chaps, an old campaigner who had been out there a while, had counted himself as one of the favoured(?) 5%. While others were being given their marching orders, he looked upon sagely and uttered advice and other homilies, talking about it all being the start of something wonderful ( try telling that to someone in their early sixties, as some of the chaps were ). He naturally assumed that he was a perfectly wonderful HoD and the rest were lacking in some respect.
    One day he was called into the Major's office.
    He was seen about 20 minutes later being dragged kicking and screaming to his car, uttering obscenities to all and sundry. It transpired that he had just been given his marching orders and he hadn't taken it well at all. Actually he had REALLY not taken it well.
    Just a little story from my past. I am sure it has nothing to do with what happened here.

9. Hey, if this is about the Shenzhen 'College' of International Education then everything said here is pretty much right! Though I only stayed a term, got a far better offer for a bit less dough but a lot less work, I understand things went from bad to worse and they are now 'attempting' to recruit overseas but getting no one - likely because of the rep given here for the Head, all deserved too! I also think I know who the notlikely is, though I left before them, they were stalwart teachers of many years experience whio were treated badly in the end. I also did not understand why they stayed so long but I think that only one of them wanted to and the other 'gave in'! Pity that but understandable.
    There are a heap of schools run by old 'empirists', nothing wrong with the empire, but they know if they managed like this back home there would be blood on the desks! The problem is there is no job security in Asia, especially China, and so no solidarity - and that is the easy way out. The heads and owners steamroller over them because the system is so corrupt - money alone talks there. In fact, the teachers really have the power but seldom take it, deciding to leave instead - another pity. They could in fact toss this guy but many are old stingy folks who will die well-off rather then take a stand, even if it means actually retiring, not expiring in the classroom and opening up jobs for younger types. But, how silly of me......
    I am far better off, in a far better place with clean beaches and some semblence of order and law.

And yes this school and then head should appear on the ISR and other sites to warn people...

10. SMTDude are you ok? You have seemed a little bit edgy lately with your comments. I am not saying that I disagree with them, but I seem to remember that you weren't so acerbic before. Or maybe I got it wrong but I am pretty sure that you were a little bit more relaxed with posters, even when they clearly annoyed you.

11. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Gosh, Alex, nice of you to notice / care.
    I think, hope, that all is well.
    Busy loving tiring extended-family Christmas in MittelEuropa, then back here cooking cleaning and caring for three high-maintenance females - one gestating a long essay for her Masters, another revising for GCSE trial exams, the third a fat furry feline, at whom I sometimes aim a boot but these days usually miss.
    Will heed your warning and try to be less acerbic - great word - and anyway Tuesday brings the new school term and a resumption of the blissed-out-punchbag professional façade.
    But the post from China was annoying, no?
    Anyhow, thanks for asking, and once more, Happy New Year to you and to everyone,
    D x

12. Mainwaring

So will I.

13. Mainwaring

Tried it for five minutes. Didn't work. Normal service has been resumed.

14. We wouldn't want it any other way.