1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Shelina, Tom or Andrew?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Mrs Peel, Mar 15, 2012.

1. SHELINA!!!
    By a mile!

2. piglet171

piglet171 New commenter

I think she'll win but will be rooting for Andrew.

3. minnie me

minnie me Lead commenter

Shelina -John is in ' lurve' with her !

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Shelina
    then Tom
    then Andrew

Shelina's food looks stunning.
    I'd probably prefer to eat Tom's meal.

5. No errors in Shelina's
    Slight errors in Tom's
    went a bit wrong for Andrew (awww like him too - don't like Tom - too arrogant)
    SHELINA!!!!

6. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Shelina has been the most consistent and the best at getting her food up on time.
    But I love Andrew and Tom's main course looked fabulous. Chequered pasta - wow!

7. Told you so
    Told you so
    Told you
    Told you
    Told you so
    *dances the Told You So dance

:¬)

8. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

I've thought it would be Shelina for quite some time. But thought it was a BBC/keep them guessing/tactic and that the boys would pull something out of the bag at the last minute (unfairly).
    I liked Andrew too but found Tom and bit of a mystery to be honest, very confident and unemotional, felt he wanted to tell the judges they were wrong if they criticised his food at all.
    Still not as good a programme as the Auzzie version. In their shows you really get to know and like all the contestants so that you cry when they are booted out (ha! ha! - maybe that's just me!).

9. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I know I didn't have to look, but I haven't watched the final yet, so thanks, guys!
    I also thought Shelina had it in the bag. She made her mistakes early on, whereas Tom and Andrew both faltered in the last few rounds.
    That Gregg still gets right on my pip, mind. To quote my friend's late mother on the subject, 'What does he know? He's a f*cking greengrocer!'

10. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

It was obvious it would be Shelina! I agree - really liked Andrew, especially when he spoke about his family, but thought Tom boring and somewhat arrogant. The last couple of years it's been won by a man - the delightful Tim last year and the utterly yummy Druv the year before.
    Let's hear it for the girls!

11. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I do agree about the last two winners!! Shelina has been great all through and I think will really be a success. The programme is pretty ridiculous as Greg and John run out of superlatives after about week 4 but I have enjoyed it. Can't believe what goes on some of those plates those - tiny spots of flavoured foam or gloop do not bear much resemblance to food as I know and enjoy it. And I don't think they ever refer to nutrition.

12. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

The narrator with the irritating voice speaks about foam this and jelly that and I agree, they look like someone dropped blobs on the plate by mistake. Tuile baskets and gold leaf look very pretty, but they're not going to satisfy your average Joe. Apart from being astonishingly expensive as well, I'm sure. It's all got a bit ridiculous now - travelling to Thailand etc etc. I liked the original with Loyd Grosman, when there was always the possibility that a contestant would fail to complete the dish. It's all Science, water baths and goggles now. Heston Blumenthal and his snail porridge have a lot to answer for.

13. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I was on the original with Lloyd back in 1993.
    Shelina was a sure fire winner from day 1. Andrew never knew when to stop adding indredients (like strawberry with lobster and belly pork) and Tom just f*C*ed it up too often. He awlays seemd to be on roller skates bunging something or other in the blast chiller.
    I hope Shelina does well. Her food is awesome.

14. Yay for Shelina! We were delighted she won, a deserved winner. She was very promising from the outset, had no timing issues and always produced highly acclaimed dishes.
    It will be interesting to see where she takes this.

15. Oh what a strange, strange voice. It's almost as if she imagines we are slightly dense, but sitting in a library so she mustn't be too intrusive, so speaks slowly...and draws out each word! Very irritating!
    I thought some great and imaginative dishes were served up but some of the 'artistry' was rather over the top. There was more decoration than substance and I completely agreed with the food critics when they said far too much was being put on a plate...(Andrew's downfall really although I thought he was very skilled) when not all of it blended or was needed. It just became a confusion of tastes. (We ate in a local restaurant recently where the same thing happened...some show-off chef went right OTT and added twists and globs of sauces and feathery bits when really a little bit more of the main meat with a little more sauce (or jus......[​IMG] ) to go with it would have been more pleasing.) Sometimes it's not artistry on a plate, is it...it's showing off.
    I thought Shelina was a clear winner...she seemed a natural but extremely articulate about what she was doing... Andrew and Tom were skilled too though and both could easily open their own restaurants I suspect (funds allowing!) (What a lovely face Shelina has too...wonderful skin and big eyes.) I expect we'll hear more of her.

16. I much preferred that format. (Were you in the final Belle?) I hate the way Greg keeps looking at his watch and looking straight in to the camera and asking "Will he be able to pull it off? I am not sure he has left himself enough time..." and then looks at his watch. All this effort to build tension. That and the delay in announcing who is going through...all knock-out formats seem to think viewers are on the edge of their seats. I am not. I just wish they'd credit viewers with having some intelligence and maturity.

17. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I was a finalist but not in the very final, if that makes sense! It was great fun and Lloyd Grossman in a consummate professional.
    The old format was just about good amateur cooks. The new format is, to me, about launching them on the professional circuit. Not something I ever wanted to do, nor would want to do.

18. You are right Belle. I hadn't thought about that really.
    It's a bit like the X Factor for cooks now.