1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Shelf under kitchen cupboard - anyone done this? Boring question - sorry!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Doitforfree, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Lead commenter

I want to put a narrow shelf, for jam and tea and so on, about a foot below my kitchen wall cupbaord, at the back. The wall has really nice tiles and I don't want to drill holes in. I thought I'd be able to buy a shelf bracket that would fasten to the underside of teh wall cupbaord and allow for a shelf about a foot down, but I can't fine anything suitable. Apparently Ikea used to do them but don't anymore.
    Has anyone got anything like this, and if so, where would I buy it? Or if not, is there any other secure way i could attach a shelf to the wall without damaging the tiles? My DIY skills are pretty minimal!

2. Doitforfree

I want to put a narrow shelf, for jam and tea and so on, about a foot below my kitchen wall cupbaord, at the back. The wall has really nice tiles and I don't want to drill holes in. I thought I'd be able to buy a shelf bracket that would fasten to the underside of teh wall cupbaord and allow for a shelf about a foot down, but I can't fine anything suitable. Apparently Ikea used to do them but don't anymore.
    Has anyone got anything like this, and if so, where would I buy it? Or if not, is there any other secure way i could attach a shelf to the wall without damaging the tiles? My DIY skills are pretty minimal!

3. Drill holes in the tiles. The shelf will cover them anyway.

4. Doitforfree

I'm a bit worried that the tiles might break. We didn't install them so we don't have any spares. And what if I want to take the shelf down?

5. Yes. You can buy plastic shelf supports that are screwed into the sides of the cupboard. You place the shelf on them although obviously the shelf isn't secured to anything else so will tip if you lean too hard on the front of it!
    http://www.bpfittings.co.uk/pc/Plastic-Shelf-Supports-Brackets-and-Studs-c3151.htm
    I can't get the picture to paste but the link takes you a page that shows the kind of thing. Alll hardware shops sell them.

6. It is no problem to drill into tiles.
    If you have the right drill.
    Also, place a cross of masking tape (you can even use good old plasters) on to the bit where you are going to drill, mark a cross and the tape will stop the tiles cracking or splitting.
    I have done this numerous of times, but if you don't believe me (as I am just a woman who has done her own DIY for over 20 years) ask Olds or Lurk.

7. Why put it up if you are going to take it down?

8. Doitforfree

I was more thinking I might want to take it down in the future.

9. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

a free-standing big-ass spice rack would be a better solution

10. would no more nails work on tiles? i've only used it to glue shelves to a matt-painted wall
    or if you're not sure you want to keep it,could you go for something like these?
    http://www.lakeland.co.uk/F/keyword/shelf

11. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

If you go for the gaps between the tiles you should be ok drilling.

12. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Celtic is right...put a cross of sticking plaster or tape over the spot you want to drill.Use a sharp drill bit and start slowly and then ncrease speed once you have mmade the indentation in the tile...its actually quite easy as long as you just go steady.
    faling that use jacobs method.it works as long as you dont put to much weight on the area.

13. Doitforfree

I hadn't thought of glue. It wouldn't be holding too much weight so it could work. Can you get it off if you want to at some point in the future?

I like the Lakeland things but they're a bit lower than I need. Our kitchen isn't very big and this is the only decent bit of worksurface I have. At the moment there are packets of tea and coffe and jars of jams all precariously piled at the back. I'd like a shelf as high as possible that would be just wide enough and just low enough to get them on without getting in the way of the work top.

14. Oh I see. I thought you meant it was going to fit across the inside of a cupboard.

15. would there be some way of attaching it to the underside of the cupboard? that would presumably show the least if you took it down again
    to go back to lily's point - if you are short of shelf space, are you making the most of the insides of the cupboards? could you put extra shelves (lakeland things or mdf cut to size and attached as the cupboard design dictates )

16. Could you use a shelf with sides and use L shaped brackets?
    http://www.3dkitchens.net/catalog/Corner_Bracket__3105.html
    Fix one side of the bracket to the sides of the shelf and the other to the bottom of the cupboard.

17. Buy a drill bit for tiles. It looks like the spade on playing cards. Cost you about £4.
    However too many shelves, not very minimalist [​IMG]

18. You can buy a sort of u shaped bracket, you need to screw one side to your shelf and the other to the underside of your cupboard.