1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sheffield STAT

Discussion in 'Primary' started by EvilAsh, Oct 10, 2015.

1. EvilAsh

EvilAsh Occasional commenter

Had anyone used this dreadful and complicated spawn of APP?I'm having to use it to plan then assessing on an IPad (hate them too!) Does anyone have any experience or tips to share??

mabootio likes this.
  2. EvilAsh

Bump.

3. NQT1986

NQT1986 Occasional commenter

We have been considering using this instead of Target Tracker which we are finding is just horrific to use. It's supposed to be user-friendly, but it really really isn't! It's a tool tool to do analysis with, but actually highlighting statements is time consuming, very subjective and hard to moderate.

What don't you like about the Sheffield STAT?

4. EvilAsh

The statements are immensely vague, especially for writing. The iPad program is obtuse, and the steps don't all match with the new NC. I'm assessing okay with Maths, but the writing has now gone from the easiest area of assessment to the hardest. And there are SO MANY assessment areas. If only we'd used Ros Wilson or the NAHT model!

5. mabootio

mabootio New commenter

Do not touch Sheffield STAT! This really is an horrific and unnecessarily confusing incarnation of an APP grid and everything (the statements, the interface, the mechanics of the software, the analysis tools) are clunky and ill-conceived. Stick with Target Tracker: My advice would be to ring the helpline which is staffed by the most accomodating and excellent team. Target Tracker has been running since about 1999 and has stayed consistently ahead of the game in terms of its range of filterable (if that is a word??) tracking and analysis tools, to the extent that, at first glance, it seems hugely complicated. Do not be alarmed! Unlike the Sheffield system, which limped into operation about October time (over a year late for the new NC and, unhelpfully, with no useful analysis capabilities being released until December), TT were trialling all across Essex from 2013 and feedback was acted upon. The staff will answer your every question and suggest simple ways forward. It is possible, for example, to assess solely by using the KPIs as a way in (which will give you a creditable indication of where your children are at) and this is relatively simple to set up and run - do not be put off by all the extra features. The helpline will also put you in touch with schools who can offer support as to how they practically assess (eg Ros Wilson criterion scale) and how they transfer this to the system. I found lots of regular, informal and very brief assessment tasks helped me target specific objectives when completing the children's profiles. Using Sheffield STAT to plan, target-set and assess has been the single most stressful, overly time-consuming and counter-productive experience in 16 years teaching. Every time I look at the software and wait for each mouse click to respond praying the software won't freeze or kick me off, I feel like collapsing in a heap and sobbing. I have spent 5 hours today updating three subjects of assessment and I can honestly and categorically say that the information I'm able to take from this will be of absolutely no use to me or my school. It is vague, woolly, unclear and vague... and largely useless. I am running my own excel Assessment spreadsheets which save me hours and are the only thing keeping me sane right now.
    Yes it's late, yes it's the last day of the holidays, yes I'm tired and it's cold and wet... but please heed this warning. Having worked with Target Tracker since the turn of the millennium, I feel like I have travelled back in time to the mid 00s to a horrible parallel teaching universe governed by duff online assessment packages. Yes, Target Tracker has some idiosyncrasies but they can be worked around.
    Rant over. I feel better now. Calm...