1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Shawshank I'd forgotten how poetic it is

Discussion in 'Personal' started by eggnchips, Dec 21, 2011.

1. : I have no idea to this day what those two Italian ladies were singing about. Truth is, I don?t want to know. Some things are best left unsaid. I like to think they were singing about something so beautiful it can?t be expressed in words and makes your heart ache because of it. I tell you, those voices soared higher and farther than anybody in a gray place dares to dream. It was like some beautiful bird flapped into our drab little cage and made those walls dissolve away. And for the briefest of moments, every last man in Shawshank felt free.

2. : I have no idea to this day what those two Italian ladies were singing about. Truth is, I don?t want to know. Some things are best left unsaid. I like to think they were singing about something so beautiful it can?t be expressed in words and makes your heart ache because of it. I tell you, those voices soared higher and farther than anybody in a gray place dares to dream. It was like some beautiful bird flapped into our drab little cage and made those walls dissolve away. And for the briefest of moments, every last man in Shawshank felt free.

3. Oh no!! Did I miss Shawshank, was it on last night? I LOVE that film, and it's one from a list I could watch again and again.
    And yes, that's a lovely extract. Good old Stephen King, he does have talent despite having written some god awful books.

4. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

Which ones did you think were god awful? I've read them all and the only two (that I can think of off the top of my head) that I thought were clunkers were Christine and Cujo. I guess I am basing that on the fact that I was disappointed with them when I read them and haven't ever bothered to give them another try.
    I suppose based on re-readability, my favorites would be Salem's Lot, the Stand, It and the Gunslinger books (although I generally like most things he has written). Some of his novellas and short stories were also quite enjoyable.

5. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Morgan Freeman's voice adds to the poetry too. I could listen to him read my shopping list very happily.
    I agree that some of the later Stephen King books were tripe including Rose Madder, there were others that came out after that which were similar. I usually hate his books made into films too. I know The Shining is supposed to be a classic but I can't stand it and the film version of It is an embarrassment. Shawshank and the Green Mile are the exceptions.

6. It's from 'The Marriage of Figaro' by Mozart. It is a lovely piece.
    "And for the briefest of moments, every last man at Shawshank felt free."
    Freeman's deep voice has to be one of the greatest of all time...he has the power to move me to tears.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMAVhl9bhNQ&feature=related

7. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

...and Dolores Claiborne. Superb film!

8. Oh quite a few in his later career! My absolute favourites though, which I re-read again and again, are 'The Talisman' and 'It'. I think he portrays childhood and adolescence very well. And I like a lot of his short stories. His son (whose name escapes me, he doesn't use 'King') writes very well, too.

9. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

"I have to remind myself that some birds aren't meant to be caged. Their feathers are just too bright. And when they fly away, the part of you that knows it was a sin to lock them up DOES rejoice. But still, the place you live in is that much more drab and empty that they're gone."
    Beautiful.

10. grammarlady

grammarlady Occasional commenter

What a marvelous story! I was lucky enough to snap up the DVD out of a $5 bin a few weeks ago.
    "I find I'm so excited, I can barely sit still or hold a thought in my head.. I think it's the excitement only a free man can feel, a man at the start of a long journey whose conclusion is uncertain. I hope I can make it across the border. I hope to see my friend and shake his hand. I hope the Pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams. I hope..."
    On another note, A&E played Bag of Bones as a mini-series last week. I didn't think it was one of his better stories.

11. There's a passage (can't find it at the mo) where Red says something about living enclosed by walls. Along the lines of first you hate the walls ,then you learn to tolerate them,then you can't live without them.

I felt like that when I moved to my enclosed little terraced house. I was always jumping in the car and driving to the seaside! Now I need the walls.

12. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Try getting your butt out of bed early and watching "Pushing Daisies" on ITV2. If you missed this when it first came out it contains all sorts of magic: sets, camera shots, situations, comedy, life affirmingness (sorry not sure of a correct word). It only ran for one series, probably because it was too quirky and too clever for thicko American audiences. All this and Anna Friel too.
    Personally I always find there is something a little sick in Stephen King that makes you wonder what goes on in that wierd little mind of his.

13. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

One of my favourite films too. I did one of my essays on it for GCSE English Lit.

14. Great film, with a lot of meaning for me. I first watched the film back in the autumn of 1999. I was going through a bad patch as I had split up with my then wife. She had left me and I was living on my own- videos, ready meals and copious amounts of red wine kept me going.
    I bought it on video with a few others (3 for a tenner type deal) from HMV and having read the blurb thought it sounded good.
    I watched it and was blown away, so much so that watched it again the very next evening.
    The part that struck a chord with me was the line "Get busy living or get busy dying". At the time I was feeling very sorry for myself and I was considering my options. Shawshank, combined with other factors convinced me to sell the house and car, leave my teaching job and travel the world for a year! Best decision I ever made and I had the time of my life (better still the ex-missus was ever so slightly jealous!)
    I also had my time at many places that resembled Zihuatanejo [​IMG]

15. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

'The Shawshank Redemption' routinely features in the top five of 'best ever movie' listings.

It's why I think this ad campaign was absolutely inspired in its thinking, as silly as it may seem.