1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Shaving Foam in Messy Play?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by zebedees, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Can anyone help me? At my old nursery we were told that we were not allowed to use shaving foam anymore, but a few staff at my new nursery are questioning this? I can't seem to find any information anywhere on whether it is against the rules or not. Anyone know for sure either way?

Thank you!

2. Can anyone help me? At my old nursery we were told that we were not allowed to use shaving foam anymore, but a few staff at my new nursery are questioning this? I can't seem to find any information anywhere on whether it is against the rules or not. Anyone know for sure either way?

Thank you!

3. We ask the parents if it is ok for their child to use it, we have a child with an allergy to it so we don't have it out we she in.

4. Wotworklifebalance

Wotworklifebalance New commenter

As far as I know there are no rules forbidding the use of shaving foam. We use it for Write Dance and the children love it. We don't tend to have it out for free play as some children would spend soooo long playing with it that it could irritate the skin. When they have been using it the children are instructed to wash their hands thoroughly with plain water.

5. What's in it that could cause a problem?

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

A parent on Mumsnet described shaving foam as "highly toxic" ... interesting idea!
    [[ http://www.hse.gov.uk/myth/]] nothing on the H&S site to say you can't use it

7. Sounds like another one of those apocryphyl tales like you cannot use egg boxes, inside of toilet rolls or throw snowballs!
    Shaving foam is fun! fun! fun!

8. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I taught a child who had an allergy to paint pigments we simply provided gloves so he could join in and it's a possible solution for shaving foam too.