1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sharing personal data

Discussion in 'Personal' started by 1967Ferret, Oct 22, 2019.

1. 1967Ferret

1967Ferret New commenter

One of my colleagues has, during a conversation with a year 11 student, disclosed very personal data about me - namely that I had --------- disease and, during treatment had had ------- surgery. To say I am outraged is an understatement. Going down the formal grievance route but what should happen? They have already apologised.

2. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Utterly outraged! Outrageous!

Did they show photos of your --------?

Aunty D

3. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

If they've apologised (and presumably won't do the same again) then what do you want as an outcome from a formal grievance? Seems harsh.....

4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Yes, this ^^^.

What's the purpose of bringing a formal grievance if the your colleague has apologised to you and (presumably) acknowledged that they were in the wrong and won't do it again? Doesn't that resolve the matter? What else do you want to happen?

5. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I think I'd be wanting that person to get a rowlocking from the HT for unprofessional behaviour.

6. 1967Ferret

1967Ferret New commenter

Maybe you wouldn't mind if you had had breast cancer and a mastectomy and that was then shared with a student. I am obviously much too sensitive.

7. 1967Ferret

1967Ferret New commenter

I am not really sure what I want to happen. This colleague who is in management has before shared information of a sensitive nature with staff but never before with a student. I want her to realise the seriousness of this and the potential ramifications. My personal life could still be all over social media.

8. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Is that your answer to all serious workplace issues, if the culprit apologises?

9. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

What are the potential ramifications?
    This is a 15/16 year old.
    It occurs to me that the following may ensue-
    -the student will feel relieved that you had the treatment. Perhaps they were worried about you
    -the student will have an understanding of why you may not have been able to give maximumin put.Perhaps they were disappointed in you.
    -the student may feel comforted as they have the same condition themselves
    -the student may have a parent with that condition and is frightened and may find comfort in seeing somebody around who has had the treatment

These to me represent "reasons" why the information was divulged. They are all kind, if misguided, reasons.
    Then again, your colleague may just be a gossip.

But hang on-surely you are too? You've said that they've shared information before of a sensitive nature. And you are now telling this to us. So? Why is that relevant? Are we meant to therefore dislike her?
    Maybe you are looking for something she's done wrong?

"it might be all over social media" about yourself. But it's not happened yet.
    However your colleague is now featured in this thread on this public forum and we all know she's been indiscreet twice.
    And that has happened.

Dunteachin likes this.
  10. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

What would happen if a teacher discussed sensitive personal information about a pupil with another pupil? I'd say they would be in serious trouble.

The same should apply when the victim is a teacher.

11. Rott Weiler

What do you mean? When have I ever said that before? I'm asking specifically about OP's question, as OP hasn't said what she wants to happen. I notice you haven't said what you think should happen. What's your advice to OP?

sbkrobson likes this.
  12. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

How does it constitute being a victim, the fact of somebody knowing something about you which you wish they did not?
    That's as far as it goes currently.
    The colleagues indiscretion does not per se make her a victim. She has not manifestly suffered from it.

The fact of the colleague being non professional is another matter, in which case I'd speak to her. Or speak to somebody else. Demonstrating my desire to get them in trouble. But then the HT, say, would ask me "what has happened as a result of this?" and I would say "nothing" so my desire to get that colleague into trouble would become apparent to my leaders. Generally this sort of ambition does not go unnoticed.

Before jumping on my comments, as some may want to, and saying "but she should get into trouble! She's a wrong 'un! How can you think she's done nothing wrong!"-I am not evaluating what has been done. I am simply describing the probable reaction if steps are taken.

Rott Weiler likes this.
  13. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Victim of a data breach.

Dragonlady30, nomad and jubilee like this.
  14. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I agree with the OP starting the grievance procedure. What happens after that is not for me to decide. The governors will adjudicate.

nomad likes this.
  15. smurphy6

smurphy6 Senior commenter

I understand how you are feeling. This very personal information was shared by someone who had no right to share it and they themselves only knew because of their position in the school.

I would be feeling very aggrieved too in this situation. How would she have liked it had you done the same thing to her. Also now the cats out the bag it can’t be unsaid.

I think for me it would depend on how they apologised. Did they confess and offer an absolute apology and seem mortified by what they had done or was it a half hearted apology that implied they didn’t think they had really done much at all. If it was the former I would let it go but email the HT with her ccd in to explain that you were putting in writing what had happened as at this point you just want a written record. If it was the latter I would email the HT and be furious.

16. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

Data breach is the new way to describe gossip?

sbkrobson likes this.
  17. Rott Weiler

Every grievance procedure I've ever seen requires the grievance bringer to say what outcome they are seeking, and if they don't they will be asked about it. So OP needs to think about that. What outcome would you recommend OP seeks?

sbkrobson likes this.
  18. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Disclosing someone's medical information to a pupil or a teacher cannot be justified by the recipient of the information having similar medical issues themselves.
    The inappropriate communication of information is not heinous only if it is later spread on social media.
    The OP has not been a gossip in telling us that the loose-lipped colleague has been indiscreet in the past when they told staff confdential information about a colleague. The OP has not identified the colleague.

nomad likes this.
  19. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

But what does that mean?
    Surely at the minute it's merely "subject of a data breach"
    There is no damage.
    No claim.
    No loss.
    No suffering.
    No manifest disadvantage as a result.
    So no victim.
    How is this stopping her get on with her life or her job or whatever state of mind she benefited from before it happened?

20. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Well, as I said, somebody is bound to assume that I have posted that it's justified.