1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

sharing outdoor provision with year 1??

Discussion in 'Primary' started by kaz_allan, Jun 27, 2011.

1. hi

can anyone help me, a year one colleague wants to share our reception outdoor area and rota in adults saying that we will then always be able to have an adult outside.
    I have my black hat on for this for various reasons, not least health and safety and the sheer number of children to adults but also that my reception children will need priority for outdoor provision and early years adults need to be outside to observe etc. I feel the current year R children have already had full outdoor provision and most have reached point 6 this year and beyond so I am protecting my new intake and making sure they have the equipment and space they need.
    can anyone give me ideas how they manage yr r and yr 1 or say if they think I am not thinking about this in the right way? any help and advice would be great .

thank you all very much for your input.

2. I wouldn't be in favour of it, myself for the reasons you give. Where mixed R/Y1 classes use the same free-flow environment there is usually enrichment to support the learning of the Y1 children. Ask the Y1 teacher what will be provided and how it will be monitored to make sure that the children are making progress through NC levels.

3. hi
    thanks so much for your feedback,, I was beginning to think it was just me with my black hat! I will certainly be asking this question. Thank you.

4. Our YR and Y1 classes share our outdoor classroom. It means we can share resources and have double the space as we had 2 outdoor areas until myself and the new YR teacher arrived. We have 6 outdoor zones and we split the setting up and clearing away at the end of the day by dealing with 3 each. The budget for resourcing them is shared, our rota of adults is split...I use a learning journey style in Y1 so we all observe children. She has EY Constant Provision sheets out and I have KS1 Nactional Curriculum ones...just as I do in my indoor classroom at the independent stations. The YR have total free flow as is required and I have 8 velcro tags by my door. We have 4 sessions and my children are each able to go out once (tbey don't have to)...they just put their names on the door so I know who is out there in case of an emergency when me or my TA aren't in the outdoor classroom. It's a FAB aid to transition for me, as the YR children all get to know me and I them. My Y1 children always have 2 'jobs' to complete outside and if they choose to go out they must do at least 1 of them. Then they can visit any of the 6 zones to learn. The Y1's are also great at scaffolding learning for YR. It's great for my LAPs and my colleagues HAPs to work together. Once a week we also plan a free flow day where the children can go in and out of either indoor classroom via the outdoor classroom whilst independently exploring and learning for YR and completing independent, adult initiated or adult led tasks for Y1. Ofsted graded us outstanding and praised our transitions throughout EY and KS1 as we all follow a free flow learning style.

5. Our YR and Y1 classes share our outdoor classroom -- it means we can share resources and have double the space. Previously, the 2 classes had 2 areas separated by a fence. When myself and the new YR teacher arrived we ripped this down and made 6 outdoor learning zones. It works very well as we run Constant Provision learning from EY to Y2 (and somewhat through KS2!) We split the setting up and clearing away at the end of the day by dealing with 3 zones each. The budget for resourcing the classroom is shared, our rota of adults is split...it is fantastic. I use a learning journey style of recording with the children's work stuck in, and we all observe the children and have an outdoor camera and video camera. The YR teacher has EY Constant Provision sheets hanging outside, and I have KS1 National Curriculum ones...(just as we both do in the indoor classrooms at the independent stations). The YR children have total free flow, and I have 8 velcro tags by my door - we have 4 sessions a dat, and my children are each able to go out once (they don't have to) by just putting their names on the door. It's a FAB aid to transition for me, as the YR children all get to know me and I them. My Y1 children always have 2 'jobs' to complete outside...and if they choose to go out they must do at least 1 of them. The Y1's are also great at scaffolding learning for YR. Once a fortnight we also plan a free flow day where the children can go in and out of either indoor classroom via the outdoor classroom. The YR children independently explore, and the Y1 children engage in independent, adult initiated or adult led tasks. Ofsted visited in June and graded us outstanding and praised our transitions throughout EY and KS1 as we all follow a free flow learning style.

6. Hi bestitcanbe

Well that certainly has put another perspective on it. Thank you very much. It sounds very exciting. I was mainly concerned about progression and tracking children where children are and ensuring learning. Would love to see your planning. We also do topic work where outdoors might be enhanced to match this topic and in this case it wouldn't be the same for year one children who would be working on an alternative unit ofwork. Feel unsure about meeting everyones needs.

Well done for your ofsted though.