1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sharing good practice

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by mlapworth, Jun 8, 2011.

1. mlapworth

mlapworth Occasional commenter

I'm always giving away (ie. attaching) worksheets on mflresources. It really is nice when I get replies from other forum members thanking me for these resources (usually private replies to me rather than to the whole forum). But the fact that you often get no response or acknowledgement, even when it's clear that you've taken time to produce a well thought out reply to a request for help or for resources, may lead people to think that it's not worth the bother.

2. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

I tend to upload things on this website that I'm really proud of - resources that I've taken time to make, and that anyone could use, no matter what textbook. I suppose I don't really fancy boasting about them too much and so just wait for people to discover them... I do feel very proud when someone puts a comment on them - it means they haven't just clicked on it and then decided it was rubbish, but they've instead decided to use them. I always give a comment and 5* to a resource that I decide to use because it is well made.
    Don't you think, though (playing devil's advocate here) that there might be an information overload if people offered lots of unsollicited resources?

3. mlapworth

mlapworth Occasional commenter

Yes, I know what you mean. But often people don't even bother acknowlegding replies to requests for resources.
    When mflresources was first set up, people were encouraged to upload their resources (similar to sharing resources on TES, I guess). The beauty of this at the time was that you could see the structure of what was saved: the folders and sub-folders, etc. You could browse these like browsing files on your own computer. But the mflresources yahoo group soon ran out of space. I think the TES resources site is great, but maybe it's too big, or the search facility isn't the best. Besides there are lots of file formats that you can't upload to TES - and I'm not just talking about TM files here; even zip files are not allowed.

4. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

How do you do that? I tried googling a bit, but cannot find a straightforward answer. I use Windows XP2.
    Lexibar looks quite good. I downloaded and it clearly works, but not sure how much time it would save over ALT numbers once you have moved the cursor to the correct symbol.

5. BrightonEarly

BrightonEarly Occasional commenter

To type in German, I change my keyboard to work like a German keyboard. You soon learn that the y and z are reversed and where the accented characters are placed. The first time, I just studied a picture on google images of a German keyboard. This is done through settings ... control panel ...date, time, language and regional options ...regional and language options ...pick German (or other language) from drop down list ...click apply and OK. You then should have a language choice on the taskbar to switch to and from languages of your choice.

6. FrauSue

FrauSue New commenter

A useful tool is a macro for Word called Teacher's Pet - available for free at http://www.teachers-pet.org/ . It was recommended on the CILT website and creates crosswords, wordsearches, gap-fill exercises, jumbled sentences, etc. from text. I only discovered it this week but it looks handy.

7. Geekie

Geekie New commenter

I was bombarded with abuse when I dared to raise this subject a couple of years ago [​IMG]

8. Geekie - sorry to hear that but this post does seem to have raised (good) comments here. I was just fed up with the constant pleas and others jumping in.
    This has also come from the discussions I had yesterday when I realised that we sll seem to be doing the same things but don't appear to want to share. BTW, I use your site a lot and find it v useful, thanks

9. Geekie

Geekie New commenter

Thankyou for raising the point again, SmellyEl. Pleased to see it has been well received. You are quite right, that sharing is the way to go to lighten the load for everyone.

10. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

Really? I never realised! I thought that thread was spot on and the title said it all. Just goes to show! We don't seem to have so many of the "can I please be sent a CD of all the listening files for all the French, German and Spanish textbooks in the world" kind of requests recently, but I know what SmellyEl means too. The problem with the tes resources is that there are so many, it's hard to sift through the hundreds of "fairly average, only works if you use this textbook in this particular school" kind of resources to find the real gems. I know tes are working on that at the moment though.

11. BrightonEarly

BrightonEarly Occasional commenter

We really enjoyed it too! You gave up your own time to show us around, made us feel welcome, I'm glad you thought our ideas were helpful for you. [​IMG]