1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sharing continuous provision

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by beckyshephard28, Jan 8, 2019.

1. beckyshephard28

beckyshephard28 New commenter

Hello!

I am an NQT in EYFS and I share the provision areas with another classroom. So my classroom has the water area, play dough, construction and maths whereas the other class room has the creative area, writing area, small world area, role play area, reading and listening area.

As a result of this my children are significantly behind. They are not choosing to go into the other areas during choosing time even after encouraging them lots. When they do choose to go into the other classroom they are unsure on how to use the areas as I can not model how to use them during the input like the other reception teacher can in that classroom.

For example; the other day we were looking at making rockets so the other reception teacher modelling how to write a plan in the writing area and then showed the children in the creative area how she would make a rocket to help them. I had to just show them pictures of the areas and try and explain how to use the areas to help them. It is just not working! I have never worked in free flow reception before so please let me know if I am missing a trick!!!

2. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

When I worked in this kind of environment, the staff also used to swap over. It meant you got to plan for all areas over time and see children in all areas. It does mean tight planning together with your partner but it can work really well without needing duplicated resources.

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Discuss this with the other teacher and maybe share the input times as a large group, or swap rooms, or something else.
    You definitely need to work with her in some way.

4. Toomuchtooyoung

Toomuchtooyoung Occasional commenter

Agree with what's been said but I would also want resources for mark making /writing and reading in more than one area. What if you want to make a plan for what you want to build in construction? Could you have made a rocket with bricks then compared to those made in the creative area ? You can get little clip boards (for bingo cards) in the range for £1, great for encouraging writing in all areas.

5. michelle_ovenden

michelle_ovenden New commenter

I worked in an almost identical setting. The two teachers would share the care of the two classes, 90% of the time. During these shared times, one teacher would take half of the children outside and the other would open up ALL of the areas and allow the other half of the children to access them. This made life much easier as you could direct children to areas where you felt they needed some support and the TAs could supervise while you instigated some one to one conversations with individual children. Hope this helps!