1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sharing best practice

Discussion in 'Personal' started by knitone, Feb 9, 2016.

1. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

Following on from a thread in workplace dilemmas, I thought it might be a good idea if people shared (realistic) examples of best practice that make the job easier. (I expect that there have been similar threads in the past, but I could not find any after a quick search).

One of the first pieces of advice that was given to me when marking exam papers, was to mark one question at a time rather than one paper at a time. This allows you to whizz through the questions quickly, as you are not continually referring to the mark scheme for each question. That tip has saved me lots of time.

2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I don't want to offend you but perhaps copy this to a forum directly related to the job rather than Personal. You'd get more response elsewhere I think.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Quote from knitone "One of the first pieces of advice that was given to me when marking exam papers, was to mark one question at a time rather than one paper at a time."
    I don't mark one question but all page 1s then 2s etc, but this is for Primary. GCSE papers with longer answers would probably be better one question at a time. Especially for Maths, after a few papers one can often remember the answers and with English it helps to just read the specimen answers and 'what is /is not permissible answer just once and then looking at the children's papers with that question straight away.
    My Top Tip is when collecting books in to get the children to hand them in open, with that day's work. Saves having to find the relevant piece of work- especially if they're having to go back because they missed out a couple of pages(and yes that does happen in Primary) or go back to write on unused pages. I did 4 book and the 5th book 'goes the opposite way' so books are closed but ready to open out for marking. When 'closed' they can be carried just like a normal pile of books.