1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sharing a book with 2 Year 3 pupils for TA interview

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Tessa11, Mar 27, 2012.

1. The school are going to provide me with a book to share with 2 year 3 pupils (1 with SEN).
    They've said they expect the activity to take around 15 minutes.
    Nervous.
    Any tips?

2. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

I would ask if you can have at least a few minutes to look through the book first - it will make a difference to how well you read it. Set high expectations for behaviour - only respond to children with hands up (make it clear at the start this is the rule). Maybe ask questions about the book - "what do you think will happen next / why do you think he/she did that / what would YOU do in this situation" etc. Good luck!

3. I agree with everything that chocolateworshipper has suggested, but I'd also ask if they could tell you who the author/illustrator is and whether they know what they do. Maybe ask questions at the end of the story to check their understanding too. If you have good notice of the story, perhaps you could make a story sack to make things more interesting and interactive.

Good luck!

4. venusspecimen

venusspecimen New commenter

hello there. i have an interview this week of them asking me to do the same thing although i'm allowed to take my own book, i have no idea what they're looking for i've never had this style interview, any tips or guidance or advice please? thank you. xxx