1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

shared reading

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by bluebell27, Jan 18, 2011.

1. bluebell27

bluebell27 New commenter

I shouldn't think there is much you would be required to do during shared reading on the carpet with the class teacher. This is a time when ALL children should be having input from the teacher. I would say just watch that the children are listening as it is surprising how much they do actually take on board and can respond verbally to any questions directed at them. I appreciate they may need some input for writing but children also need some independence and this is a good opportunity.
    Don't be afraid to be just sitting there listening yourself. This is what I do in order to gain a sense of what the teacher is doing and where the lesson is leading to. Just being on hand or being drawn in by the teacher when necessary is part of the classroom support role. Once the carpet time is over I then take a group for the next part of the lesson which I am sure you would do anyway.
    Bluebell

2. I agree with Bluebell but when the CT is questioning the children you can quietly discuss and encourage children to answer. For some children just being expected to sit and listen is a huge step and you can be a role model by showing how a good listener should behave.