1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

shared planning advice

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by zaetsi, Oct 18, 2015.

1. zaetsi

zaetsi New commenter

Hi

I'm an NQT and share planning with other teachers In my year group. My issue is that the other teachers in my team do not get their planning done until quite late - say 10pm on a Sunday evening. However, I like to know what I'm doing the next day without having a mad panic on Monday mornings esp. as I'm new to teaching. Do you think I should say something to them? I don't want them to feel like I'm dictating when they do their work.

Many thanks for any advice.

2. EvilAsh

EvilAsh Occasional commenter

I'm assuming you're primary. As a year group leader in primary, my year group all have an agreement that planning is completed one week in advance, which allows people to adapt planning for their classes. Asking your year group to do the same isn't unreasonable, it's good practice. As an NQT, they should do this anyway for you or of consideration for your inexperience.

3. JessicaRabbit1

JessicaRabbit1 Senior commenter

It's all about compromise. if you look at the planning thread that's on here you'll see that a lot of people feel that planning too far ahead is unrealistic because you don't know how lessons are going to go. If my school demanded planning was done a week in advance they would have a riot on their hands. However I agree that 10pm on a Sunday is way too late and I know how you feel because I had a colleague that did that a few years ago. My current year partner and I make sure that we send it no later than about 4pm - I try and do mine by lunchtime on Sunday - so that we can adapt it etc. So if I were you, I would see if I could speak to someone about it.

TEA2111 likes this.
  4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Your mentor. Ask him or her how to cope in this situation, in view of your inexperience. It may be that the others just haven't thought about how difficult it is for you.

Best wishes

MrMSutcliffe and marlin like this.
  5. EvilAsh

EvilAsh Occasional commenter

6. zaetsi

zaetsi New commenter

Thank you for all the helpful replies. I think I will suggest having the planning for Monday a bit earlier on, and then the finished and final plan for the week can still come at 10pm if they prefer that.

7. Cervinia

Cervinia Occasional commenter

10pm on a Sunday is late in your book?
    Well, unless they're teaching at 10:04, I'd say it's decidedly early.

Have you not yet realised that to planning is a verb? While it may take an nqt quite a while to write a 'plan', more experienced teachers may not require the same level of detail.

8. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

This joint planning lark is a bit odd. If you are supposedly joint planning to share the load, but then go off and amend it anyway i would question the point...

If you are going to joint plan though a degree of compromise has to be reached. I don't agree with Cervinia above, one of which is the acceptance that planning, for an NQT at least, has to be more detailed, regardless of what the experienced teachers want, particularly if you are giving it to them late. And it is late. My only experience of joint planning is PSHE. I always wanted the outline the day before so i could look through and amend.

9. AlwaysAdaptable

AlwaysAdaptable New commenter

Surely if you have done long term and medium term planning you don't need detailed weekly plans. I don't think 10 p.m. on Sunday is late at all. Be grateful that you have someone who is willing to do joint planning with you. I have always managed do my own lesson plan just from the outline, learning objective and success criteria. Surely one would want to make the lesson their own by adapting it to the needs of their class.

10. zaetsi

zaetsi New commenter

That's the trouble, AlwaysAdaptable, I don't get the outline until 10pm.

11. AlwaysAdaptable

AlwaysAdaptable New commenter

That is not very good then. Who ever is doing the shared planning with you should at least let you know the bare bones. Do you do the medium term planning together? Rustle up a plan from that for the first lesson if you can. Don't know what else to suggest.

zaetsi likes this.