1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Share your survival tips for the new school year

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TES_Rosaline, Sep 11, 2018.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

With the new school year and autumn term well underway, what are your best back to school survival tips? It would be good to read your words of wisdom on how to cope with the ‘normal’ ups and downs of school life and they might be helpful to any new members reading the forums.

How do you maintain your energy levels and prevent feelings of exhaustion from taking over during the first term?

What are your tried and tested classroom tips?

What advice would you give to an NQT or someone returning to teaching (after a baby or career break) this year?

What keeps you motivated especially during busy and stressful periods during the school year?

2. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

I'd tell the NQT "don't worry Miss I'm going over the fence in five minutes and you're welcome to come and play truant with me".

install likes this.
  3. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

4. install

install Star commenter

Keep work to the minimum - its just a job. Leave as soon as you.can. Get out at lunch time if you can. Define your boundaries and don't look for praise. Laugh alot. Keep your head about you , keep calm , do what you can only in the time afforded to you.

Remember teaching in some schools is tough, tough, tough. And no one on.theur death bed ever wished they had spent more time at work

5. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Always carry a pack of Hamlet cigars about your person, for the occasions that things don't work out as expected..

Sir_Henry, nomad and Mangleworzle like this.
  6. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

...and cans of Heineken in case distant parts need to be refreshed.

Sir_Henry and nomad like this.
  7. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Top 5
    5. Oranges. So good for you. And there's nothing nicer for beating the slump than an orangey classroom

4. Go have a nap in the car (off site) at lunch break. 10 mins does the job.
    Always put an "Exam In Progress "sign on your classroom door before you go, so people believe you are unflaggingly industrious rather than sensibly balanced and serene.

3. If somebody says "Can I meet you this week to discuss bla bla" rather than saying "Are you having a laugh,I am timetabled to the hilt with ultra-tricky groups!" tell them you can see them at 6 after your meeting with the HT. People will then genuflect slightly, and generously offer to email you instead. Leading on to the next point-

2. Ignore all emails, apart from the ones that start "Did you get my previous email?" (Exception-subject line "Book Club Delivery In Staff room")

1. Go to work really really early, and take no work home. That's the carrot.

8. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Always carry a piece of A4 paper with text printed on it when moving between rooms - it makes you look like you're busy.

Find a hiding place.

9. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Plan yr retirement.

10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I intend working a bit less at home this year - I'm always in school by 6.30 and have done all my prep my 8 am.

I will work through lunchtimes this year and stick to a marking schedule so it doesn't build up into an unsustainable mess.

red_observer likes this.
  11. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Keep a count of the papers being handed to you (or emails etc) and every Friday before going home make sure you bin or delete 98% of them.

Seriously.

Do not be the one waiting until we are all about to leave a staff meeting who says 'oh sorry yes, just one little thing I need to mention....'

Utter deadly seriously.

12. Ajedrez

Ajedrez New commenter

LESS IS MORE.
    so work less and live more.

13. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

1 and 2 and 3 that’s me. 4. I’d not wake up so wouldn’t dare. 5 don’t like oranges, but be prepared with quickly prepared or already prepared lunches.

14. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Firstly, don't work in a school.

Sir_Henry likes this.
  15. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I was a bit worried about 4 for that reason as well.
    I also don't like oranges, but do like the smell, so might try it.
    1 and 2 I already do.
    3 sounds a great idea and I can see it working. Going to try it this coming week.

My advice is that if you don't enjoy it move on to another year group or another school. Don't do something that makes you miserable and don't believe everything you read on TES!

16. Lazycat

Lazycat Senior commenter

Marking - do little and often. A huge pile of marking is soul destroying and nobody should have to spend a whole weekend marking.

I’m ignoring the texts that my HOD is sending me over the weekend and on my day off. If she does it again I shall be blocking her number.

17. Sir_Henry

Sir_Henry Occasional commenter

"Myadvice is that if you don't enjoy it move on to another yeargroup or another school"

Not really practical once you reach a certain age, since ageism is now rife in state education.

18. peakster

peakster Star commenter

That's a bit of an urban myth really - it depends on your subject an what part of the country you live in.

19. Sir_Henry

Sir_Henry Occasional commenter

it depends on your subject an what part of the country you live in.

I'm that is true but it doesn't mean that ageism is not rife today in state education.

20. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I'm not convinced it is.