1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Shape, Space and Measure

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by LaurenEJ23, Nov 22, 2015.

1. LaurenEJ23

LaurenEJ23 New commenter

Hi everyone,

I'm a PGCE student currently on my first placement in FS2. At the moment I'm responsible for delivering a once weekly SSM lesson. Last week I introduced the topic of weight. Firstly, children estimated the heaviest item in my shopping bag by touch and we then checked using a bucket balance. The children were then given their own shopping bag- they had to decide which of the two objects was heaviest (once again by touch). The lesson went well but I feel it was pitched a little too low. I have to deliver the same topic again next week but with more challenge for the children.

Any ideas? I want to develop their use of the language of heaviest/lightest. I was thinking of getting them to order three objects from lightest to heaviest but I'm not sure if this would be too difficult, especially just by using touch? I'd love to get the children using the bucket balance themselves but it's difficult when we have 21 children all sat in a circle on the floor (limited space and resources).

Any advice would be much appreciated :)

2. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

Hi there. A couple of things to get you going. First use heavier and lighter rather than heaviest for comparing two objects. Heaviest is for 3 or more.
    Next, can you find items that are big but light and small but heavy.. This is a concept children need to understand, that big doesn't equal heavy. Then as children get more experienced, find items that are less obvious in their weight difference, so they perhaps can't quite tell by just picking them up. Comparing 3 items is fine for those children ready for this, get them to work out how they are going to find out using the bucket balance.
    Are you able to either work with small groups or leave the bucket balance out in continuous provision along with a variety of objects and children can explore further in their play.
    Finally this is about getting children to use language of heavier and lighter, so whatever you do make sure you are giving them opportunity to talk.
    God luck, hope it goes well for you.

missrturner likes this.
  3. missrturner

missrturner Occasional commenter

@grumbleweed has suggested some great tips.

I too would use 'heavier and lighter' for only two objects but with a variety of items so that you're challenging their conceptions - the biggest may not always be the heaviest etc (the same with capacity if you move on to this).

If you are moving on to three items (heaviest/lightest) I would have the children independently order the three items in groups so that they are actively discussing and exploring the language/vocab.

I would also leave the bucket balance out for continuous provision and guide the children in their language and ideas whenever possible. Having it out would also allow you to pick up any misconceptions with language/ideas that you can then include into your planning and address/challenge. Best of luck. It sounds as though you're doing great.