1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Shanghai

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by pip855, Mar 12, 2016.

1. pip855

pip855 New commenter

Hi
    Has anyone taught in Shanghai and do you know any of the major international school packages please?
    Thanks
    Pip

2. Diddysan

Diddysan New commenter

In shanghai right now, send me a pm and I can give you my take

tesquestion2016 likes this.
  3. pip855

pip855 New commenter

Fabulous, urgh can't find how to pm!!

4. tesquestion2016

tesquestion2016 New commenter

I have also sent a PM if you don't mind.

5. musikteech

musikteech Occasional commenter

Isn't it expensive to rent in Shanghai?

6. tesquestion2016

Do schools not cover/ contribute to rent?

7. musikteech

Some do some don't is what I've seen advertised. I've got an interview for teaching EFL tomorrow over skype and it's 17000RMB with no housing.

8. BananaJoe

BananaJoe New commenter

That salary is dreadful for an international school. My school would be consider lower second / upper third tier and single teachers get 7000RMB housing plus salary which is a few thousand more than you've been offered. As a family with kids our housing allowance is 16,000RMB.17,000 would be good for an ESL teacher, but not in an international school.

9. musikteech

Why is it dreadful? It's about £1800 a month. What jobs in the UK pay that? Not many.There is always privates as well @ 250RMB per hour so you can easily catch up with international schools if you get 10 private students per week.

10. musikteech

plus no marking, reports to write, minimal prep etc

11. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

that is a terrible amount, but then if its just a TEFL position i suppose its fine. EFL in a full international school would be getting a lot more than that. 1800GBP was my housing allowance when i was in Ukraine !!! it might sound good in comparison to the UK, but internationally its terrible.

12. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

I know here cash in hand work done outside your contract with the school can get you booted from the country. You may want to make sure that you are allowed to do 'extra' work outside of any contract you sign just in case it's the same rules as here.

13. musikteech

I'd rather not :D That's some expensive apartment in Ukraine then if the housing allowance was that much. ANyway, how much does it cost to rent a room in Shanghai? Bout 2000RMB?

14. tesquestion2016

BananaJoe can I PM you a question please? It's about salary in Shanghai and lower 2nd/ 3rd tier schools!

15. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Apartment shares in Shanghai:
    upload_2016-3-17_19-27-23.png
    The shared master bedroom one is a tad worrying!!!!

Shanghai can be VERY expensive if you don't go fully local. Even local salaries are pretty high, white collar workers earning not much less than your 17000 RMB. You will want to be buying stuff that is at Western mark up prices too.

http://www.averagesalarysurvey.com/shanghai-china

16. musikteech

I can't go for the 17000RMB a month job now because I only have a Graduate Diploma with pass degree status and not a BA. The authorities are very strict about qualifications apparently. So I've applied for a job teaching piano (15000 a month plus free apartment) I think in Shanghai today. I just spotted the ad on a website for ESL teachers in china. That plus my privates, I would hope to make at least 20000 a month which is £2000 and don;t forget there won't be any tax to pay on the privates.:p

17. musikteech

Thanks rouxx for sharing that apartments website. They look cheap for Shanghai even though I've never been there. That's about £200-£300 a month for a room. Cheap enough. This piano post has a free apartment though apparently so I won't need to look for accommodation if I get it.

18. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

If you can get the visa, piano teachers can charge a small fortune - very high demand amongst the rising middle classes for piano. May be issues with getting a visa, without a BA - not sure regarding the requirements.

19. musikteech

They want BAs for EFL teachers definitely. But my diploma is in piano so maybe that will pass. I've found someone who does business visas today as well and he said 8000-13000 per month. i told him 15000 minimum. I think the piano teachers earn about 16000 after tax it said. The problem is they only reimburse flights they don;t pay upfront for them so it's a risk to travel there on a business visa if anything goes wrong.

20. musikteech

Oh by the way, the piano teacher ad said you work for a month on probation and then they apply for a work visa.