1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Shanghai

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by lovely.lady, Jul 6, 2015.

1. lovely.lady

lovely.lady Occasional commenter

From August, 2015 I have been given the responsibility of G&T at my selective international school in Shanghai. Obviously high-achieving is a hot topic in Asia amongst many local(ish) parents however, many of my searches have drawn blanks.

Therefore, I would like to start a G&T support group, initially amongst schools in Shanghai but hopefully stretching out throughout China for English-speaking/bi-lingual schools - both local and international. I'm going to start a blog in the first instance as an ideas/resource sharing platform. If anyone out there would like to be involved/support my endeavours please inbox me and I will respond.

I appreciate it is the summer holidays but I want to get started as I have some CPD to deliver first week back and I want some things in place.

Even if your school currently does not have a policy on G&T but you are interested in this area please get in touch.

Thanks

2. february31st

february31st Established commenter

In a typical Shanghai international school the vast majority of students would be classed as G&T compared to those in an inner city comprehensive.

But how do you set your base line for G&T is your first goal, IQ tests for each student, Durham University CEM assessment. Then you have to consider how to implement G&T, Acceleration, Differentiation, Teacher-student-matching, Mentoring/Cross age tutoring, Independent Negotiated Programs or Competitions.

Is the school going to cover all subjects from PE to Film studies or just cover Maths and the Sciences.

3. lovely.lady

lovely.lady Occasional commenter

As I've never worked in an inner city comprehensive I'm unable to draw comparisons there. I do however have 17years experience with 10 years overseas including 3 years in Shanghai and am aware of the 'market' so to speak.

My school have given me carte blanche with this programme and yes I fully intend to build it up to cover all areas as not all able and gifted pupils excel in just maths and science! I have written a basic identification criterion and we are commencing CEM assessment in the new academic year.

This 'project' has huge potential and I fully intend to focus it in the most beneficial way. Are you still in Shanghai following your disastrous dealings with a certain school? If so, are you interested in contributing?

4. serafinanibs

serafinanibs New commenter

I'm interested in knowing more. Pls add me to your email list. Thanks.

5. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Hope they pay you decently for the graft you will have to put in.