1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Shanghai

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by h3720, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Hello!
    I am thinking about a move to Shanghai for the next academic year....I love the look of the school and the package, but I was wondering if somebody could tell me what the social life is like there?!?! (I am a single female in my mid-20's).
    Are there concerts? A good nightlife? Clubs to join, things to do at the weekends?
    If anybody there can answer my question I would be very grateful! Thank youuu!

2. Hello!
    I am thinking about a move to Shanghai for the next academic year....I love the look of the school and the package, but I was wondering if somebody could tell me what the social life is like there?!?! (I am a single female in my mid-20's).
    Are there concerts? A good nightlife? Clubs to join, things to do at the weekends?
    If anybody there can answer my question I would be very grateful! Thank youuu!

3. Mr robinson

Mr robinson New commenter

I'm a family man, so maybe not the best to be answering your question, but yes there is a huge amount going on in Shanghai. Clubs bars restaurants, you name it , this place has got it. For me after a 60 hr week (they work you hard here) a couple of beers on a Friday night is enough, but the young ones on our staff seem to have a good time. Concerts- well some bloke called Usher is here soon, and I am reliving my youth by going to see the Eagles, and plenty of other cultural events.
    But Asia is sometimes tough on single women- My last place in Thailand we could never keep them more than the original 2 yr contract. Don't expect to meet the man of your dreams here. All our single males seem to be dating a huge array of hot asian babes who swarm the honey pot when they see a single white guy.

4. So right about the men and hot asian babes. Asia generally is not good for the average single white females self esteem! Plus you get to realise that most men in Asia are there for the 'entertainment'!

5. I would generally agree with the above comments on Asia and single women, but to add a more upbeat note, Shanghai would arguably be one of the least worse places to be for single expat women. The expat community there is very large, and so the chances of finding a man who is not into dating local women exclusively are a bit higher. Even without the dating scene, there are TONS of things to do in Shanghai, concerts, nightlife, exhibition, you name it. So it's unlikely you are ever going to get bored.

6. I'm moving to Shanghai in August! Can't wait... I'm looking forward to the all the travel!

7. Thank you for your replies! Hmmm...it seems expat men are the same the world over ;-) But I am glad to hear there's plenty of other things to keep me entertained. What about the prices? Is it expensive?

8. cityfree

cityfree New commenter

Hiya, I'm off to Beijing in August. I was thinking that the chance of finding a fella 'at some point' whilst out there was slim. I shall aim for the life of a spinster now! [​IMG]

9. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

Actually all hope is not lost. I've met quite a few married couples over the years that got together while teaching in Japan, China and even Bangkok. So, it is not completely unheard of. [​IMG]

10. cityfree

cityfree New commenter

Well if you know of any eligible bachelors come August/September in our corner of the world, send them my way! [​IMG] Seriously though, I am hoping that little ex-pat corner may well provide a few dates at least.

11. Shanghai has loads to do for expats. Check out this website: http://www.smartshanghai.com/
    It is not a cheap city to go out! Get used to paying at least 40 RMB (4 pounds) for a drink in an expat bar or cafe. But it is fun!

12. Anyone any advice on buying clothes in Shanghai? I know that there's a Marks and Spencers, but do they sell normal sized clothes?? I was just wondering how true it was that the average Western woman can't find a shop with clothes in it.

13. If you can't find your sizes here then you can always have your favourite clothes copied or have clothes tailor made. There are several fabric markets in the city where you can go and get this done. Clothes here are generally cheap here so I wouldn't worry about that. Many of the English high street names are here as well: C&A, H&M, Next and of course Marks and Spencers (sadly with only a very small and rather poor food section)

14. I have been here in Shanghai for nearly a year and I absolutely love it here. I was also worried about the clothes situation, but for the most part it is fine (and I am quite tall). There is all the usual stores (Zara, H&M, Mango & now a new Gap) but I would add that shoes are pretty hard to find in my size (41) except for Marks & Spencers. Also, the clothes in the new Gap are very much asian sizes - I used to be a Medium in Gap, I am now Extra Large! And that is not just down to the Happy Hours and Sherpas delivery ;-)
    H&M is the best bet really, and just 'top up' when you are home. Marks & Spencers is very expensive here, but there are some good sales. Things like tights are about twice, sometimes even triple the prices of the UK, but lately we have ordered online for delivery and that is a reasonable alternative...
    Hope you enjoy it as much as I have!

15. Hello!
    Thanks for all your responses!
    I have accepted a job now and will have accommodation in Pudong, I have heard a lot of the shopping, restaurants, nightlife etc is on the Puxi side of the river. Am I going to be quite isolated in Pudong or is there still a lot going on there? How easy is it to travel to other parts of the city?
    Thanks again for the information!

16. lovely.lady

lovely.lady Occasional commenter

Don't buy instead head for the South Bund Spinning Market armed with pictures of your favourites designs then haggle for all you are worth!!
    If your feet are above 39 (euro) which approx size 6 UK and your boobs are bigger than a 32 C - take these items with you or at least have people send you them! I do however know of a good shoemaker at the top of Fuxing Lu (French Quarter) - expensive but good!!