1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Shanghai teaching method 'could improve UK results within four years'

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Weald56, Nov 26, 2015.

1. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

I wasn't a Maths teacher, but would be interested to know what Maths teachers do think about this:

http://www.theguardian.com/educatio...od-could-improve-uk-results-within-four-years

Especially this part:

"The Shanghai approach is to shape each maths lesson so it concentrates on a single mathematical concept, which is covered methodically and in great depth. The class does not move on until every child has mastered the lesson."

My emphasis.

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Chinese students behave - British children don't

monicabilongame likes this.
  3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Students in a communist dictatorship with harsh restrictions on free speech, freedom of religion and massive breaches of human rights behave - Children in a 'free' Western democracy where choice and free expression are embraced don't.

Just saying :)

InkyP and kent1 like this.
  4. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I would have gone completely crazy if I'd been forced to wait until the rest of the class understood stuff before I turned the page. Indeed some of my worst behaviour as a pupil was while I was waiting for my peers to catch up and the teacher wouldn't give me anything to do. I remember sitting with a little placard on the end of my ruler saying 'give me some more work'. The wise teachers let me work at my own speed.

5. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I'm not quite sure what label to put on China's economic model these days, but the kids know they need maths to prosper. Our pampered darlings don't realise until too late.

6. Twinklefoottoe

Twinklefoottoe Senior commenter

The behaviour of British children is a massive, massive issue that is simply ignored by Government and OFSTED. The only time my students behave generally speaking is when there is an OFSTED inspector at the back of the room. The significant minority of students I teach who shout out constantly, are forever getting out of chairs, throwing things, messing about with other students' computers etc etc drag everyone down and monopolise my time, and stop real learning taking place.

Equally a barrier to learning is the dreadfully poor English, Maths and communications skills of new teachers. They are products of the 'lollipops for everyone' mentality that has been in evidence for the last 15 years. They do not have solid foundations in English grammar or an agility in Maths and have only a stumped development in communication skills because of their mobile phones and their inability to put them away. And yet these very people are becoming teachers and teaching the new generation of youngsters!

7. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Results have been improving for the last 28 years. Here are the last 22 years:

From 46.3% A*-C in 1993 to 63.3% A*-C in 2015, comprised of a small annual increment

Are they here to learn from us?

http://www.bstubbs.co.uk/gcse.htm

8. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

This is a very dodgy cousin of what I have been advocating. The differences are
    1) In SystemE, six week modules are the unit of "moving on", consisting of a small group of concepts. It is very dubious to test mathematical concepts on their own I suggest, and not as robust as showing mastery of a related group.

2) The Shanghai system waits until the whole class has mastery ... a recipe for bullying, authoritarianism, ultra-conformism ... and .... cheating. It is intrinsically highly inefficient too.

) How robust a test of mastery is it if performed at the end of one lesson?

The Shanghai system seems to be a form of "agile engineering" - an inappropriate approach to people, I suggest. Great for widgets though.

9. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

4) By having modules rather than single concepts, a restudy/retake is a practical possibility

etc etc. Shanghai system = dumb.

10. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I don't think this is true.

11. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

Conform and learn or be punished. A rather public punishment if everyone knows who who is stopping them progressing?

"Living in Fear Is Worse Than Imprisonment, " Ai Weiwei 2012

Ai Weiwei the Chinese dissident is a trulely wise man. The Chinese State fears his wisdom.

InkyP likes this.
  12. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

'A key difference is that her students in Shanghai get homework every day, with a test every week. (In England pupils can expect maths homework once or twice a week.)

Miss Yingzhen Guo, who is also working at St Mark’s, added: “They understand and answer the questions quickly. Next day I ask them and maybe they forget. InChina they do a lot of work at home.” As well as homework, many children in Shanghai will have private tutoring and weekend school.'

Trust me, I worked abroad where children spent as much time being tested as being taught. All the tests proved was that they didn't understand and hadn't learned what had been taught.

13. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

One of Nick Gibbs' comments:
    'What’s more, the children of the poorest 30% of Shanghai’s population are outstripping at mathematics the children of our wealthiest 10% in England.'

So mathematical achievement depends on how rich you are?

14. drek

drek Star commenter

We are not allowed to give homework, that might mean 'boring' work. Google look ups = fun 'learning', revise/practise classwork = boring, no learning. The idiots had 'data' to prove it!
    43% to 100% improvement means zilch as each successive year they chopped the content and dumbed down the papers!
    What the chinese will learn from us is how to abuse data and statistics to win funding. And how democracy really works,
    Teachers here have to do whatsoever they are told to by idiotic managers, under threat of capability.

monicabilongame likes this.
  15. Vitellius

Vitellius New commenter

I think it is.

16. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

In the recent 'Are Our Kids Tough Enough' Chinese teachers, despite no help and being given badly behaved kids, managed in but a few weeks (days in reality) to improve all grades in all subjects. This is all documented.

Now we can rant and rave about communism, awful and boring lessons and whatever you wish - but these kids suddenly had better grades and the hard truth is our society is still based on good grades = success. If bad behaviour covered up as 'fun and learning' is working and improving standards, I saw no evidence of that in England.

As for making sure a discipline is learned before moving on, how many of us weep as Year 6 and 7 kids write half decent stories without capital letters, full stops or speech marks. Or more they do but the grammar and punctuation is all over the place.

Because the English system is indeed that - all over the place. Looks great on paper to outsiders but is totally devoid of substance.

17. drek

drek Star commenter

The chinese teachers were allowed to teach. British teachers have to show evidence of this that and other nonsense emperors clothes strategies, which dont work.
    Why?
    Promotion and government funding are based on how well you can 'talk' or hardsell the strategy.
    The successful teachers often have to spend hours on extra revision classes, to produce the same resuts if they had run normal lessons where they can just teach, with students doing work on learning rather than being used as guinea pigs to promote the latest educational gimmick.

18. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Excellent post, Drek. Best short summation I have heard of the reality of teaching for a long time.

19. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

I completely agree that "basics" should be drilled and mastered, or something close. This need not be unpleasant or take up the majority of time, but I suggest the academic agenda, and the grades agenda, prevent the basics from being learned well.

20. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

As I showed above, with the data, results are now the best they have been.