1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Shanghai School Closures

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by rouxx, Jan 25, 2020.

1. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

I hear from friends that schools in Shanghai have been advised to delay reopening after CNY, but teachers expected back.

I realise that still more likely to get run down by a bus but I am beginning to wonder how I would feel about returning to China after the break, if I were an overseas teacher.

What's it really like at the moment there folks?

2. MyOrchid

MyOrchid Occasional commenter

I believe that Hong Kong students will not be going back to school until 17th February, a 2 week extension of the CNY holiday. Don't know about expectation for teachers to return.

3. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Shanghai is normal at the moment and life is going on as it should here. I was out shopping as normal this morning and also had a good drive around the city and nothing unusual to report. The only things different is Shanghai Disney and all cinemas are closed till further notice. At this moment in time more danger in crossing the road, hope the situation remains the same

The international schools here should return from the holidays around the 3rd of Feb and the Chinese schools around the 17th. The current master plan we hear at the moment BUT NOT CONFIRMED BY THE SHANGHAI GOVERNMENT is all schools to re open on the 17th, but I will say again this is not confirmed. All the schools seem to have an active WeChat group for parents and teachers, so I would keep checking for the latest updates on the situation.

Keep Clam and Carry On Teaching.

This is going to **** up recruitment I should imagine!

4. MyOrchid

MyOrchid Occasional commenter

Latest news from the Education Dept in HK is that, although parents are urged to keep children at home, schools should stay open with staff available to look after any students who come in. Work to be set by email etc. for those at home.

In other words, teachers should be available to babysit any kids whose parents can't leave them at home. This somewhat reduces the effectiveness of the school closure, I would imagine, but will keep parents and employers happy...

5. shazzamac

shazzamac New commenter

Received from my Principal in Shanghai yest...
    As advised by the Shanghai Municipal Education Commission, we will be extending the Chinese New Year break by postponing the resuming of classes and activities until Monday, the 17th of February. The campus will only be open to staff during this time.

We were due to return Feb 3rd. We have been asked to set online work for those 2 weeks.

So NO STUDENTS TO GO TO SCHOOL.

Today we received a mail saying there might be some update as to whether staff have to actually go on campus to set their work, or even have to return to shanghai/China...
    It's an evolving situation.
    Friends there... Some are going out. Some have not left the house for 5 days.

There are A LOT of false rumours on the internet. Inc. incorrect photos. Sometimes difficult even for those of us directly involved to find out. So be sceptical of what you see online until you can get it confirmed by someone 'on the ground'.

6. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

The latest I've heard is public schools not opening until at least 17th February in Shanghai. Private schools seem to be going along with this too.

7. february31st

All schools in Shanghai are closed till the 17th of February for students and staff.

Not sure how many expats students will return to school after the extended holiday, might be a few staff missing as well.

The situation is calm in Shanghai with life getting on as near to normal apart from everyone wearing a mask.

Still no first hand contact from the British Consulate Staff in Shanghai as they have probably all left the country. I hope every one in Hubei is safe and the British Consulate finds a way to bring them all out safely.

8. clovispoint

clovispoint Occasional commenter

We are waiting to hear what employer will do- it's CNY so everyone's away! I expect we will follow HK government advice and be onsite. Fine by me, I don't want to have to do make up days later in the year. Speaking to people who were here during SARS, closure lasted for seven weeks!

As for the danger, the immediate danger might be road traffic but if this gets out of control and mutates it could put a significant number of people at risk, elderly, infirm, very young. It's all very well as a healthy adult to disregard the risk but if the infection spreads it's these members of society that bear the brunt.

My biggest concern is the massive crack down is a response to much worse news than has been made public.

Now go wash your hands.

9. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

My current experience is that people seem to be settling down. People are into their routines of being at home with their families, avoiding outside unless essential.
    Expats I know are just waiting for news about schools but they know when they're going back (an earliest date which could be extended but people seem to think unlikely).
    A lot of the rumours have settled down now and shops which were out of stock with stuff are filling up again to be normal.
    There is still concern on flights when they find an ill person and they quarantine them to double check but then most are released after tests.

I feel a lot of the panic has died down - maybe this will increase again... Who knows.

10. Outlaw2012

Outlaw2012 New commenter

Further to this, I can confirm that a relatively new but high profile British International School in Shanghai is requiring all teachers to be in Shanghai from February 3rd to 17th, working from home. This includes teachers who are presently holidaying outside China. The reason given is that they must undergo a 14 day quarantine in Shanghai prior to the school reopening on 17th. Fly back against FCO advice, into an infected city for "quarantine" when one can work from home just as effectively in London as in Pudong. This is not good.

11. mermy

mermy Occasional commenter

Rubber boots?

12. Outlaw2012

Outlaw2012 New commenter

No, they are OK to leave PRC. Farming implement require staff

13. Helen-Back

Helen-Back Occasional commenter

Tractor International School strikes again!! ********!

T0nyGT likes this.
  14. lifeinthe852

lifeinthe852 New commenter

Helen-Back likes this.
  15. Outlaw2012

Outlaw2012 New commenter

Seems all other major Western schools in SH allowing "work from home" anywhere you choose up till about 15th February. Tractor School only one I know of who's insisting staff fly back in the interim, despite FCO advice to contrary

16. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

They would be finding someone else very quickly if that was me.

Outlaw2012 likes this.
  17. february31st

Well the Tractor School has had a lot of staff walk in and out of its doors in the last 3 years. The principal seems to last as long as an old Scottish King, life expectancy of less than 9 months.

There are no Prodigious schools in Shanghai, Pretentious YES, Prodigious NO.

18. Outlaw2012

Outlaw2012 New commenter

Huge amount of expats already resigned this year. Trouble at mill....

19. Outlaw2012

Outlaw2012 New commenter

Three line whip by Tractor cancelled. Work where you can till return on (optimistic) 17th. Relieved!

20. Bytor

Bytor Occasional commenter

Can anyone give another clue to the "tractor" school.

Have looked at the list of international schools in Shanghai, and nothing springs forth.

Certainly no Massey Ferguson, or John Deere school.

Perhaps I'm just being thick.

Fer888888 likes this.