1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Shanghai, Pudong

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by spanboy, Sep 21, 2019.

1. spanboy

spanboy Occasional commenter

Hi - anyone able to give me approx current rental prices for a 2-bed apt in Pudong? And in SH is it generally the usual 1 month deposit, 3 months rent up-front, and a month's rent for the agent as a finder's fee? TIA.

2. lovely.lady

lovely.lady Occasional commenter

Rents in Pudong are hugely variable. It really depends where you wish to be. I lived very close to my school when I first went there; the school sourced and paid for the house which was 3-bed/3-storey for RMB8000/month but this was in 2007.

More recently I lived in Lujiazui (close to the river in the financial district) in an apartment - 3-bed; 51st level (YES) and paid RMB29,000 in 2014.

It is very varied!

Usually you pay 1 month security plus 1 month in advance. I have never paid a finders fee and lived there for 5 years but have since moved. There are plenty of forums for further information - Thats Shanghai etc.

Speak to the HR of the school.

3. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Pudong is a big place so prices can vary depending where you want to live! If you want to be near Dulwich you will find the price starting at 12000rmb LanTiat/BiYun roads as this is where all the expats live near the five international schools. Next area is around Big Thumb Plaza Fangdian/JinXiu road area again full of expats so high price. Many teacher are paying 15k for a 2 bedroom apartments in these areas.

If you live in a high class Chinese compound prices start a 8k but you are living outside the expat bubble like myself with a big 3 bedroom low rise apartment at 8.5k.

Over near Wellington you are in the middle of nowhere 20 min walk to the nearest 7-11 so prices start again at 8k for a local low rise apartment. Look for a place near the Mercedes-Benzes Area to be close to some amenities but prices start towards the 12-15k.

Don't forget to include in your contract the issue of rent fapiao's to get your tax free allowance and your landlord to include internet access as you will need their id card for the contract. No need to pay the agent 1 month fees unless your HR in school is sticking you up with a bent agent to earn themselves some commission. Also get a quick get out clause in the contract so you can leave with 2 months notice.

You can look for a place in Puxi if you can find Metro Line 2/7/6/9 near to your school. A popular area is JiuJiang/Fuzhou road which is close to the French concession.

spanboy likes this.
  4. spanboy

spanboy Occasional commenter

Thank you so much - have sent you a pm, hope you don't mind?