1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Shanghai International school salary expectations

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by aroberts2015, Mar 8, 2017.

1. aroberts2015

aroberts2015 New commenter

Hi all,

Was wondering whether someone could give me a ball park figure or an average for an international school teacher in Shanghai would expect to be getting.

Looking to save as much as possible!

Thank you all.

2. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

I know one larger IB school there pays between $38 000 and $73 000 depending on experience, plus all the usual benefits, accommodation allowence, flights, medical etc. All of this is available on their website.

Remember you only need to earn in the low $30 000 tax free to take home more than someone on M6 pay scale in the UK. Thats quite easy to achieve pretty much anywhere outside of western europe. Your big saving is not paying for accommodation...another thing western europe cant compete with.

3. aroberts2015

Thank you @dumbbells66 !
    In terms of what I should ask for per month, is 20k enough to live and save in Shanghai?
    I've got two years of experience.
    So China is tax free or very low tax?
    As long as everything is included in the package that is needed I'll be a happy man!

4. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Could not tell you. I just have a friend at the school i quoted. There are others on here that could answer those questions for you.

Many schools will have set pay scales, so you wont have much of a say in "what you can ask for". You just get what you get from where you sit on the scale. If you are a physics teachers you might have more luck negotiating, but forget it if you teach other subjects.

Good luck

5. aroberts2015

Okay mate, thanks for the info!
    Cheers @dumbbells66

Also, meant to put: is 20k per month enough...

6. february31st

february31st Established commenter

I would say 20k is the bottom end of the pay scale at a third degree school, you will get about 17k in your hand after tax. What is the housing/rent allowance as 8k is the minimum for a 1 or 2 bed apartment in a rough area of Shanghai.

Most of the first rate international school start at 28k/month before tax with 9k as the minimum housing allowance.

You could save 5-6k on the salary you mention and still have an existence living in Shanghai, voted the most expensive city in Asia for expats to live.

grdwdgrrrl likes this.
  7. SecondPlace

SecondPlace Occasional commenter

Chinese schools will quote the net salary.

This is from an international school in China: The starting annual net remuneration ranges from RMB 267,120 and a new teacher's maximum entry annual gross salary (on Step 11) is RMB 310,860.

8. february31st

Does that including housing/rent allowance as it is a bit on the low side otherwise? There are 3 types on international school, full expat international, Chinese international Division(inside a Chinese School State/Private) and Chinese Private School. Only the last type are low payers.

9. SecondPlace

It includes:
    • Personal income tax
    • Airfares
    • Annual travel allowance
    • Housing allowance
    • Shipping allowance
    • Transportation
    • Group medical insurance
    • Leave entitlements
    • Children’s tuition fees
    • Professional development
    • Work permits and visa
    It's an expat International school.

10. SecondPlace

Top of the scale is: 398,340 RMB

11. february31st

Wow that's chicken feed compared to some packages I know about. Is this at a "Rent a Name" school?

12. ^ what province, is it a full expat intl school? i'm just beginning my job search. I taught in Madrid, Spain previously... I'm fluent in English and Spanish. I have a double bachelors degree (music and spanish), and a CELTA teaching certificate. 18 months of experience with teaching English, PE, and Music at a full immersion high school campus, and with adult learners. I would like to market my talents pretty highly since I currently earn 75K$ USD a year with my USA current job...I realize the value of investing in education and travel to better enrich life, however I want to maximize my potential. obviously we all do? (how is Guangzhou? rural areas?)

13. tesquestion2016

tesquestion2016 New commenter

Is the 398000 top of scale gross and excluding housing, flights, medical etc? Otherwise it's a bit low for aan expat school isn't it?

14. SecondPlace

That's net and excludes housing, flights etc.

tesquestion2016 likes this.
  15. february31st

This looks like the standard offer in Shanghai amongst the usual schools at the moment. The top take home pay at 25% tax is 372000rmb/yr or 31000/month net(39799gross). The top of scale 398k would be in the 30% tax rate so you will see 2k extra a month compared with the 372k salary.

I have been shown some pay scales that go up to 20, but the schools laughingly say you can only join at point 6 no matter what your experience is and no automatic climb up the ladder. So check on what point you can join the scales when you start.

All the rent-a-name schools run a cartel that has fixed the contract with pay and conditions the same across different brand names. A very boys club agreement not to poach each others staff or students, it is called the Council of International Schools in Shanghai. The international schools don't want staff jumping ship for better pay and condition to another school, so everything is equalized.

All other benefits are tax free if you provide the tax receipt up to a third of your salary. So this is usually taken up by your flight and rent allowance. This generally limits rent allowance between 8-12k for classroom teachers as a third of their salary.

At the current ex rate 12500rmb = 1400GBP and I can only see the pound heading down in the next few years.

16. tesquestion2016

tesquestion2016 New commenter

That is a very interesting post february. Some teachers from my former school applied for positions in other schools in the area. Most were rejected. This perhaps explains why. Some did move to other competitor schools but they had fulfilled their 2 or 3 year contract before moving. I am not clear about the people who were rejected. Perhaps they had not completed their contract. Students do move between schools. I recall whispers of some being poached and moving when their family moved to another section of the city.

Are these pay scales for the 'top' schools with British names? Does one start at point 6 on the scale even when moving from a school with a higher pay rate such as Dubai or HK? How do they attract experienced candidates for lower pay? Are there other incentives?

17. february31st

grdwdgrrrl likes this.