1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Shanghai, here I come!!!

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Diddysan, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Diddysan

Diddysan New commenter

Just got offered a post in Shanghai. Family and I are super excited. Want some tips and ideas and potential pitfalls to avoid from those who have worked there.

Thanks

2. Diddysan

Diddysan New commenter

Just got offered a post in Shanghai. Family and I are super excited. Want some tips and ideas and potential pitfalls to avoid from those who have worked there.

Thanks

3. Excellent well done.
    Can't help.

4. Take a jumper. Last time I was there it was freezing.

5. Take a gas mask and very thick skin.
    Learn to genuflect to the high priestess from HK when she passes by you.

6. Huh? There's a high priestess from HK in Shanghai??? Will I have to genuflect as well if I work at any school in Shanghai?

7. Diddysan

Diddysan New commenter

I think she is referring to the owner of the school.

8. arewethereyet

arewethereyet New commenter

Congratulations.
    Go to the Westin Sunday brunch, it's great. There's plenty of other stuff too of course.
    Did you go with the HK school then TD?

9. Congratulations TDALEY
    Can't offer any tips and ideas though I'm afraid.

10. Diddysan

Diddysan New commenter

Yep...... the shanghai branch of the HK school........

11. Well done, really chuffed for you :)

ppx

12. Don't bring much, most things can be purchased here for less than you pay back home. The only thing I would bring would be lots of medicine, prescription and over the counter. You simply cannot buy most medicine here. We usually stock up in Bangkok. Western medical clinics here charge obscene prices for generally sub-standard care.
    But on the bright side, the sun seems to be coming out for the first time in weeks and it may even warm up. There is a definite feeling of spring in the air. Shanghai is really an exciting city to live in. Some fabulous restaurants!

13. Well done TDALEY26, very pleased for you! Now you can start planning your move :)
    We have an offer on the table... school is still waiting for us to accept (and 2 more interviews lined up) BUT we are still waiting for our first choice school to get back in touch with us after going to the interview. How long is an acceptable time to wait? Really eager to hear from this school now!

14. Sumo fan! If I remember correctly we worked together many years ago in China ( Republic of).
    Will PM you with some questions about Shanghai as we are considering a new school there...

15. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

16. Diddysan

Diddysan New commenter

Where have you been offered?

17. Shanghai? WOT?
    Not Southampton? Or deep cleaning toilets?
    Actually, that last one sounds like a school I know....

18. Diddysan

Diddysan New commenter

Sounds like the school i teach in now.

19. Been offered at a school in Saudi, Dharan. Its near Dammam - school looks to be very good and has a good management team but according to my research theres not much to do. Its a very tempting offer but I dont know how i would cope in saudi....