1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Shampoo and toothbrushes/toothpaste

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BelleDuJour, Nov 6, 2018.

1. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Some very odd adverts on tellybox for shampoo and dental care.
    Since when has shampoo needed to be declared 'gluten free' or 'vegan'? I cannot remember the last time I used shampoo containing fish or meat, or conditioned with a pint of milk or a jar of honey? I know some shampoos used to say they contained honey but is it really necessary to advertise shampoo as vegan? Makes vegans look daft and needy IMO. And even if wheat is used, I'm washing my hair in it, not eating it, so even if coeliac I'm not going to suffer from a swift hairwash.
    And dental care? Toothbrushes and toothpaste is always advertised by females who have to ask blindingly obvious questions ('which is better, a manual or eelectric toothbrush?') to a female dentist.
    Do men not clean their teeth and are there no male dentists?

2. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Bandwagon marketing *just made that up its not a thing lol. They just want to sell it.

catmother and BelleDuJour like this.
  3. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

Decades ago, some soaps contained animal fats; not these days, though.

4. BelleDuJour

Exactly my point!
    I'd say 99.9% of shamppos are vegan and gluten free............so what??? It's what we expect with those products.
    It's like saying sugar is low fat, and peanuts 'may contain nuts'...and the best one on sleeping pilss 'warning , may cause drowsiness'.
    All useless, meaningless statements.

nomad and needabreak like this.
  5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Life.

Warning - will cause Death.

nizebaby, Jamvic, lindenlea and 4 others like this.
  6. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

The majority of shampoos do contain animal products, such as keratin, lecithin or nucleic acids. Although these can be made from plant or animals there is no requirement to indicate which. Trouble is lots of people don't know what animal products are in what things so for those of us veggies that want to be sure, choose one labelled or from a well known vegan or veg company. Same with toothpaste, fabric conditioner, washing powder.

There is far more animal produce in stuff than you would know. The fact that you are not going to eat is is irrelevant.

7. BelleDuJour

Nucliec acids? That, dear grumbleweed, is DNA!
    Lecithin? I think you mean lanolin which is no longer used.
    My issue with toothpaste is the stupid ads with only females cleaning their teeth and being dentists.

8. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

I find these adverts becoming more like the American ones where everyone is good looking with unnaturally bright blue eyes, shiny hair and very perfect teeth. No wonder we all feel so inadequate!

Wotton likes this.
  9. Bobbbs

Bobbbs Occasional commenter

The computer you're using right now contains animal byproducts. From glue, to softeners, to extraction processes.

border_walker likes this.
  10. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

I'd like to think you're not being sarcastic?

Contrary to my often iregular typing, i did write what I meant. Lecithin is in many cosmetics and comes from animal or plant sources. PETA used to do a list of animal ingredients found in every day items and some of their alternative names. I don't know if they still do, but the point remains that plenty of ordinary cosmetics contain animal products. It was only by seeing 'vegan' on a toothpaste a few years ago, that I realised that toothpaste typically isn't. But then wine isn't either! (Due to the finings). It's important to some people to know, whereas to others it wouldn't matter. I'm allergic to linalool, and limonene so I have to inspect all labels diligently. I'm sure it's the same for others but for different reasons. Perhaps gluten free is needed for people with a gluten allergy?

Sadly my only real experience with teeth cleaning, is that Mr GW never cleans his!!!!!! Yet never has any trouble at the dentist, no cleaning, no fillings, nothing.
    And given the number of under 9s having full extractions, one has to wonder if some children ever clean theirs?

11. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

It's very difficult to argue that you will have only products which have not utilised or exploited animals in their make up or production process, because you will at some point expose yourself as inconsistent. (One such inconsistency has already been pointed out, and yet pointedly ignored.)
    I cannot use such a synthesised moral choice to assert my own good for this reason.
    Plus I'd rather focus on products which do not exploit people.
    This is because I hold people closer to my conscience than animals.

Even the people who write the toothpaste adverts in question.

border_walker likes this.
  12. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

Plus the nature of life involves constant interchange of chemicals between plants and animals, so is a distinction at the chemical level relevant?

13. nomad

nomad Star commenter

My shampoo is dolphin-friendly. :D

emerald52 likes this.
  14. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Mine is Head and Shoulders above the rest

15. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

That's a flaky claim.

Jamvic, colpee and emerald52 like this.
  16. gruoch

gruoch Established commenter

PETA is one of the most disgusting organisations I've yet to come across.
    I wouldn't believe a single word they say.

17. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

Percentage of cosmetics tested on animals - 0%, by law.
    Percentage of medicines tested on animals - 100%, by law.

18. Flowersinspring

Flowersinspring Lead commenter

Also, it's always women who seem to suffer from the squirts and need the relevant medicine, never the fellas.

19. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

According to adverts every time you ladies of a certain age (which seems to be about 35 looking at the models) cough, laugh, or exercise you pee yourselves!

20. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

Good job I was sitting down with my legs crossed when I read this.

smoothnewt likes this.