1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Shaming.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by racroesus, Jul 10, 2019.

1. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Why wasn't the thread closed at the first post? Are slim moderators protecting the tender feelings of slim posters from nasty, obese and bilious posters?

HelenREMfan likes this.
  2. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

I sense the sound of padlocks approaching from afar...

HelenREMfan, knitone and coffeekid like this.
  3. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Clunk clunk

EmanuelShadrack and knitone like this.
  4. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

Shocking. An important debate that affects millions of adults and could bring about the destruction of the world as we know it, and shut down by over-sensitive moderators.

5. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I read nothing on that thread which gave me any cause for concern, but then I am a cantankerous old git, now retired, and who has kept his winter Rugby playing weight over the summer months for several years now - not a snowflake teen who swooned at the mention of counting calories in a maths GCSE paper.

So even if there had been something untoward in that thread, I would not have noticed it.

6. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

If anyone doesn't think there is a problem with obesity in this country, then they only need to walk down any high street and open their eyes...

NB Before I retired some 6 years ago, I worked in a number of independent schools - in them there was scarcely an obese pupil. Unlike in the streets surrounding them. So I suspect class & education play a role here.

7. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I thought it was a pretty reasonable discussion. No one threw any insults. People disagreed but how could that be bad?

agathamorse and grumpydogwoman like this.
  8. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I know I ignore a lot of posters (you know, have them on my official list rather than just skip over them) but I don't think anything untoward was said. Difficult, contentious, hard to hear, opinionated, probably some scientific inaccuracies. But contrary to Ts and Cs?

OK. *shrugs*

Laphroig, agathamorse and Jesmond12 like this.
  9. keyboard2

keyboard2 Established commenter

Obesity, like transgenderism and Islam, have official narratives. Sway too far from the narrative's Overton Window and speech quickly becomes limited.

10. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

If anyone had a right to feel affronted, it's you, gdw. But you managed to respond with warmth and common sense, so i don't see why nanny had to get involved. Again.

I see another half-dressed person is complaining of having been racially profiled and body-shamed for flying with acres of sweaty flesh exposed.

nomad likes this.
  11. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

I went to Kings Lynn a month ago. If ever you need to be persuaded that the UK has a serious fat problem, go and have a walk around the centre there. It's shocking and just wrong. Constantly saying it's okay, let's be nice, they need support not criticism, it's their choice etc etc does not help anyone, them, the children, others, the environment and all the other stakeholders mentioned in the previous excellent thread.

And why the TES is locking these excellent, well-debated threads is beyond me. This could explain the dismal numbers of people posting on these forums these days. We are thin adults and we should be able to discuss thin issues without Big Brother doing the biz.

12. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I just think it was a robust and useful discussion. It made me think and it's certainly personal and important to me. And, as pointed out, it affects even thin people in the long-term as we all have to pay the price for ill health.

13. A_Million_Posts

A_Million_Posts Star commenter

I don't think anyone needs to be called selfish or made to feel ashamed for being overweight.

There are so many posts here about overworked, stressed and overtired teachers and documented links between stress, sleep deprivation and obesity. More discussion of the causes of weight gain and solutions to those causes would have made that thread more thoughtful, sympathetic and productive. Instead the thread very much focused on shaming people for being fat. I'm not sure what that was supposed to achieve.

14. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Hello everyone,

Please can I remind you all about the following:

Code of conduct:

Respect others
    The TES Community has thousands of members who may not agree with your opinions or share your beliefs, but please be polite and respectful when communicating with other members.

Forum netiquette:
    • Don't pick on or bully another user.
    • Stick to the topic when posting a message. Don't post unrelated comments.
    • If you post a message with the sole purpose of winding others up, this is called flaming. If you are flamed and you attack back, you will spark a flame war.
    • If you don't enjoy the topic of the thread, close it and open another or start your own but don't leave a rude post. The same applies if you don't like a post.
    • Remember other users are human beings with feelings and emotions so think before you type.
    The forum members that post in accordance to the T&Cs, community guidelines and Code of Conduct deserve to be treated with respect when they visit this site not to mention the people who come here to read the information in the forums.

Members agreed to follow the house rules and the moderation policy when they registered on the site. If they breach the house rules then sanctions will be enforced. The moderation policy states:

Please note: We reserve the right to remove content, lock threads, ban members or moderate user posts in our moderated forums at our discretion.

Threads or posts may be deleted and members may be banned at the sole discretion of TES moderation staff without notice.

We reserve the right to amend our moderation policy at any time without notice.

Please also remember that we will not enter into any debates regarding any sanction.

15. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Snap

Except I'm not a rugby player ot retired... Or particularly old... Wait not snap.:D

nomad likes this.
  16. Aquamarina1234

Could you explain exactly where the thread broke the t&c, @TES_Rosaline?
    Sure it was blunt but unless one of the participants asked you to intervene (in which case fair enough but we can't know what we don't know), nobody appeared to burst into tears.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  17. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Maybe a new thread can be created based on this suggestion? But if the discussion descends into personal abuse and shaming people then it will be removed. Members should be able to post on the forums without the fear of being vilified for the way they look etc. It's against the terms and conditions and will not be tolerated.

18. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

As someone who generally struggles with the weight issue I know the views of binaryhex and shower gel exist and frankly I couldn't give a stuff about their views, my weight is my concern, my goals my goals as in any other area of my life so I'm not ashamed, I do what I think best given any number of variables that an onlooker cannot comprehend and that's the truth. That said I don't eat junk, or highly processed food and aim for homemade all the time while maximising the exercise I can do when I can, it is not my goal to be airlifted out of my bed after sitting posting on here all day for years and it will not happen, that's my choice, I shouldn't have to justify it here or to strangers in the street or at a TES meet for example (makes sure I won't attend any).

I try not to be rude and would expect the same of others though clearly nobody is perfect.

Jamvic, Laphroig and catbefriender like this.
  19. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I think the debate was quite wide ranging, encompassing the suitability of medications, as well as the reasons that people are, or become, obese.

I’m too vain to be fat. I prefer the way clothes look on me when I’m slimmer. Not as slim as I was and probably never will be again, but as long as I can take part in exercise I’m sure it will help. I know that I am fortunate to be able to and that there are many whose physical limitations prevent that. I like exercise classes because I know that the instructor will be ensuring it’s done correctly and there is a social element that’s important I think.

I’m sure the causes of weight gain are many and varied, but those which are within the control of the individual must be the ones to focus on surely?

20. Aquamarina1234

This word "shaming" appears to be selective in its applications. Does it apply to any negative characteristic or just physical ones? Just ones to which a moral dimension could be implied? Is it OK to shame rapists? Muggers? Bad parents?

Mangleworzle and EmanuelShadrack like this.