1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Shaming 'fat shaming' - it's the right thing to do!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by binaryhex, Jul 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

Anyone else (ideally fat people) ashamed at the attempts by various people to close down people who want to make it clear that it isn't okay to be fat, that it's not okay for children to be tubby. It's disgusting to be fat let alone obese, costs the country a fortune, is not nice to look at, isn't healthy, sets a bad example to youngsters, helps with global warming as more than necessary food has to be grown so companies can make more biscuits, chips, coke and burgers to satisfy demands of fat people and is a form of child abuse when adults let their offspring get this way. Who wants to come on here and tell us all that being fat isn't their fault for the large (get it?) majority of people?

ShowerGel and BetterNow like this.
  2. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

What would you suggest @binaryhex ? A forehead tattoo system so the rest of us with perfect body dimensions can identify confirmed medical conditions versus poor diet and shame them accordingly?

That's assuming the ****** who choose to humiliate overweight people in public can actually read. One of my daughters has PCOS and struggles with weight gain, but she still gets insulted by undiscriminating kn*bheads on the tram to work, and at work too. She's also perfectly aware of the need to prevent global warming and to avoid junk food, believe it or not, but what the Hell, she's big so let her be 'shamed'.

If only the world was as simple as you'd like it to be, so simpletons could better cope with it eh?

3. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Tricky one.
    We all know fat is unhealthy, but many obese people are that way because they eat too much and do too little. PCOS is exceptional, yet a good friend of mine has recently had surgery for PCOS and she has not an ounce of fat on her and runs and cycles a lot.
    Obesity is a human condition.
    You never see obese wildlife........domestic pets yes,who've been spoilt by their owners........but never wildlife.
    However shaming anyone is never a good idea (unless smokers as smoking is totally foul, vile and antisocial *ducks*).

4. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

There are lots of overweight folk around and I feel for those who are the victims of a medical régime / genes. I have known of women who existed on salads but were very, very big .... My feeling is that people think it is acceptable to live off rubbish generally cheap and available and frequently ‘on offer’ food, pile on the pounds and then have heath related illnesses which they then expect the NHS to deal with ? I don’t think people care ....

5. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I don't really think the harshness of the original post is helpful, but here's my tuppence worth. I think it would be helpful if there was stricter legislation where food is concerned. It seems to be working in Scotland with alcohol - up here, it's more expensive and sales of alcohol have dropped significantly for the first time since records began in the 90s. Change is always slow though, so we'll not *immediately* see how and if it affects the country's health overall.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-48675313

People need to exercise more. Especially children. They really don't move around as much as they used to, and fat children usually become fat adults - that's a lifetime of obesity and all its related physical and mental health problems (and all the other knock on effects.)

6. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Nice to see you don't have any strong opinions on this.

7. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Imagine how much less pressure the NHS would be under if

a. People didn't start smoking
    b. People did more exercise

Two apparently simple choices.

8. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

There’s a difference between people who are overweight because they eat too much/eat unhealthy foods/ don’t move enough and those with a medical condition who don’t do those things, but are still overweight. I don’t know what the percentages are.

Until recently, someone I worked with posted almost daily with pictures of the roast dinners, puddings, visits to cafes for sundaes, visits to M&M World and similar establishments. She, her children and grandchildren are all overweight and I would say that it’s because they eat too much and certainly too much of foods than are high in calories.

Unfortunately, just looking at someone doesn’t enable you to determine whether their obesity is due to a medical condition or simply eating too much and not moving enough, so we tend to make judgements based on what we see.

LondonCanary likes this.
  9. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

"I have known of women who existed on salads but were very, very big"

I'm not sure it's wise to ask more about this .....

You don't get fat by eating well-proportioned calorie-small salads and exercising!!!!

Were you monitoring her diet and can absolutely contest that each tubby woman wasn't eating more than their 2000 - 2500 calories, less if they were losing weight? Are you sure they weren't sneaking in a cheeky 4 litres of sugar-full Coke or 3 packets of chocolate hobnobs every few hours?

ShowerGel and BetterNow like this.
  10. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

If I stop smoking I put on weight. If I was in charge of the NHS I'd be handing out free tobacco and papers. That would keep people slim.

I wouldn't be handing out tailor-made cigarettes because they kill you. Tobacco and papers is best.

I'd also have a campaign with the slogan: 'Fast Mind Fast Metabolism' and another slogan 'Eh Eck! Not an Ectomorph? Endomorphs End First'.

Everybody would be on free tobacco and papers and fired up and doing stuff in their heads. They'd actually be thinking. They could think about causation or free will or determinism. They might want to go out and have a look what that coat of arms means on the top of the park gates or photograph old Welsh chapels.

People would be more mentally and physically active. They'd also get properly tired and sleep better and have less kids because they wouldn't be having awkward sex.

There'd be no more lottery or watching daytime television. Everyone would be svelte, wearing black and discussing Baudelaire.

agathamorse likes this.
  11. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

I originally reckoned this post was tongue in cheek - now I'm not so sure. If @binaryhex is one of those fortunate people who no matter what they eat do not store the calories as fat.... their metabolism burns it off as fast as they consume stuff then maybe they do not have any addictions - not smoking, no alcohol, gambling, s*x, no nail biting or any of the things which can afflict us. Well if so ...bully for you. I cannot congratulate you though as you don't therefore have anything to contend with.

I am tall.... I have size 9 (1/2) feet, my mother, aunt and grandmother were all tall and not thin. As a teen I exercised at least a couple of hours a day. In fact up til about 30 I either swam, played hockey or squash. At 31 I got a bit of an answer as to why I wasn't stick thin as after a very difficult pregnancy a myriad of blood tests post natal revealed I had an under active thyroid - middle aged woman's disease. No doctor investigates. I just had tablets given me, little explanation as to what was wrong with me, just that I would have regular blood tests to check I was on the correct dose - medication for life. I just went ahead, unquestioning as we did back then.

Problems really started for me when I gave up being quite a heavy smoker, followed by a car accident which left me with a back issue. Weight slowly crept on and as always was difficult to shift. Get to when knee issues really kicked in and drastically affected my mobility and then weight did go on. I do not spend my life munching biscuits (I don't buy them so I can't eat them)

So now.... I don't only attract attention for being tall, I attract attention because I am overweight, fat, obese - call it whatever. Maybe I am more immune to the fat shaming as I was already used to sometimes unthinking but cruel and personal comments about my height. It still doesn't make it easy when travelling by plane say when you don't know whether the seat belt will fit (or my knees in the every narrowing space making it a nightmare for tall people) The humiliation of having to ask a steward for an extension belt is just horrid. I now have my own which I try to fit without anyone noticing. Same for some cars - the struggle with the seat belt - embarrassing, the constant struggle to avoid people being inconvenienced/affected by my size. It is constant. Try living with it.

So...people will say.... lose weight. To lose weight has been something I have been trying to do for years. Admittedly with not much success. I have learned rather more about thyroid disease/lack of function and the fact that most doctors aren't interested in it because it is a "woman's disease" almost exclusively. Couple that with a reluctance in this country to treat it properly - the US are much hotter on the issue and do far more research and patients are far more demanding than we seem to be. I have tried but there is just no interest I have found. It is felt 'just taking the tablets' is all that's needed when actually it isn't but I have enough on my plate with other health issues so I admit I gave up.

So, I am being told stopping smoking is easy and solving being obese is too. Well bully for you if you can do it. I can stop buying cigarettes, alcohol etc but you can't stop eating. Yes people feed their children too much of certain kinds of foods, schools stopped teaching useful cookery (how many changes in terminology has that seen?) The whole machinery of the food industry is massive and hell bent on having us continue just the way things are. The sugar industry right at the fore of pushing us to eat junk. Oh and just telling me I am fat - well that's certainly going to help - not. I don't have any easy, cure-all answers, because there aren't any. People have different sorts of food addictions. People eat for different reasons. I doubt there are many who are identical to me.

So... I continue to be 'disgusting'. How very very nice of you @binaryhex to be so blunt but I suppose you are being honest as there are quite a few folk who high on their saintly pedestals think like you and think it is their God driven duty to point out the bleeding obvious. Well give that man a coconut as no one would have noticed without him saying.... least of all the person unfortunate enough to be obese, unable to find nice fashionable clothes, have constant stick thin models and people you are supposed to aspire to be like paraded in front of them - tv, press etc, who are conscious if brave enough to eat out in public to feel the meal they have chosen to be scrutinised by others and oh never eat in the street as the looks you get..... condemnation for something others can do in their thin state without a backward glance.

Well... there was my Sunday ruined by someone's drive to be so judgemental. Well done.

12. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I have a friend with a similar story to you, @HelenREMfan.

Tall, and well built, but never fat when young.

A series of illnesses, injuries and ongoing medical issues over the last 40 years have now rendered her unable to exercise (her life is one of constant, chronic pain - why would she make it worse by exercising?). She eats very little. Many 'healthy' things (fruit & veg) she can only eat in small quantities due to health issues. She doesn't eat much, anyway, but some of it is cakes, chocolate, etc. She is grossly overweight.

But, hey, do you know what? If I had to live as she does, having the odd cake or bar of chocolate would be one of the few pleasures left to me. And not eating them would make very little difference to my weight in the wider scheme of things.

It's not always possible to lose weight.

13. afterdark

afterdark Senior commenter

If food companies weren't lacing our food with sugars it would be a lot easier to eat healthily.

I lost 10 kg by cutting out sugar from my food. But It was very difficult and not sustainable. Even so called healthy stuff can be full of sugar (often disguised with different names).

The huge difference between smoking and eating is you can go "cold-turkey" and not smoke at all, whereas you have to eat. As you age you body becomes less able to burn calories.

Not everyone has the same metabolism as in metabolic rate.

The fashion media have long plugged a version of thin that always reminds me of watching the video clips of Ethiopian famine victims when the first Band Aid was done.

EmanuelShadrack and agathamorse like this.
  14. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Yes

15. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Lead commenter

As sensitive as ever, @binaryhex! I know a lot of people who struggle with their weight and keeping it down certainly isn't as simple as your post would suggest.
    Having said that, I was on an early morning flight to Spain recently, sitting next to a young couple with a baby of about 9/10 months. For the two hours of this flight the baby ate a packet of Skips, a bag of biscuits (not sure what type) and drank two bottles of Fruit Shoot. Bearing in mind this was at 6am, I was fearful for this baby's health. At one point, the woman produced a carrier bag full of crisps, biscuits, chocolate snacks and bottles of fizz, which she proceeded to work her way through on the flight. (She was a large lady - I'm trying not to be judgemental, but to eat like that on a flight is rather shocking.)

EmanuelShadrack and BetterNow like this.
  16. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I'm not and never have been overweight. Hypothyroidism, post-menopause and arthritis have made it difficult for me to maintain a healthy weight. If I don't constantly monitor what I eat, I gain.
    It's not enjoyable.
    I can see why plenty of people decide it's not for them.

vannie, racroesus and BertieBassett2 like this.
  17. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

This thread has been done so many times before it's like a broken B word record.

It would appear that life is a series of choices with consequences while trying to blame others for our situation whatever it may be is futile, however it is fashionable to blame blame blame when really people should probably just get on with living their own lives as fully as they can without judging or blaming others... Then there would be room for joy and love of humanity in all its forms, but alas blame, scapegoating, hatred, resentment and misery prevail... so if it makes you happy to take on the ills of the world do feel free while personally I wish you happiness.

Happy Sunday one and all.

Jamvic, vannie, racroesus and 3 others like this.
  18. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Its a very slippery slope once you start apportioning pressures on the NHS with peoples' lifestyle choices. The next step will be to limit treatment on people who fall into certain groups.

Agreed there would be less pressure if smokers and couch potatoes changed their ways. But who would be next? Drinkers would be the obvious next target and then groups like horse riders. motorcyclists, rugby players etc. Maybe people would struggle with stress because of high pressured jobs might follow.

Education about healthy diet and help to give up smoking is a great idea but shaming people because of lifestyle choices is a step too far. (because I am not selling my motorbike)

19. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

@les25paul - well, in response to your post, the NHS IS affected by people's lifestye choices and the domino effect of health problems that come from those choices. That's just the plain truth. It's clear I wasn't apportioning blame (thanks for attaching a whole world of stuff to my comments that simply wasn't there though) in fact I said in my other post there needs to be stricter legislation wrt food, like there is on alcohol in Scotland. That's making a difference. Maybe that's too nanny state for you though?

ShowerGel, BetterNow and minnie me like this.
  20. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

When gobshites who can see that I am obese give me a full resumé of their lives so I can see the troubles their hidden lifestyles cause them and us then I will consider paying attention to them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.