1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Shamima Begum's British Citizenship revoked

Discussion in 'Personal' started by DrJay, Feb 19, 2019.

1. DrJay

DrJay New commenter

2. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

Oh dear. Terrible post.

MAGAorMIGA, InkyP, emerald52 and 3 others like this.
  3. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Yes. There is an edit facility, and you get eight minutes which should be enough. True colours? Blue of course.

nomad likes this.
  4. DrJay

DrJay New commenter

Apologies for the typos, I literally stopped on M4 to post by the road side. That’s how excited I was and still am. Long live Sajid Javid.

Abadie and needabreak like this.
  5. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

I must say I am slightly puzzled by this. Everything I have heard about Begum suggests that she is a British Citizen and cannot have her citizenship revoked because this would make her stateless which is not legal. Is this not the case? Will not Javid end up with egg on his face when he is forced to accept her back into the UK?

mswisdom, curlcurlcurl and lanokia like this.
  6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

That was the question in my head too.

And if we've done it with her why haven't we done it with returning Jihadi fighters before now? Somehow a trained fighter trikes me as a greater danger than a deluded teenage girl.

7. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Since it is illegal (under international law) for the government to make her stateless, I assume that she must be eligible for another passport. According to Channel 4 it may be possible that the is eligible for Bangladeshi citizenship through her mother who also still holds Bangladeshi citizenship.

8. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I don't think the current government understands much about the law.

9. Oscillatingass

I see, this seems logical.

border_walker and nomad like this.
  10. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

[​IMG]

He is what he looks like.

I don't mean Ray Wilkins.

emerald52 likes this.
  11. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

12. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Apparently she has or had dual nationality - British and Bangladeshi - so she hasn't been made stateless, she's just had her British nationality revoked.

13. Oscillatingass

Is it because the other returning fighters returned to the UK without making as much fuss as possible? I don't defend them or their conduct but if no one notices you, it strikes me you have more chance of getting away with stuff.

14. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

A human being stood in front of a building?

Jamvic, sparklesparkle and nomad like this.
  15. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Oh that explains it.

16. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

A disgraceful decision.

17. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

If removing Begum's British Citizenship means she can be prevented from returning to the UK then I will admit to believing to be the correct course of action.

In my opinion her presence would create a danger to the UK and its citizens, one which we could do without. She might not be capable of direct action but she could still influence and encourage others to do so.

It is a harsh step but one I feel justified however I hope I can express my approval in a more dignified way then the OP has.

Bentley89, agathamorse, xmal and 6 others like this.
  18. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

It allows the Sajid to make himself look 'ard.

A big mistake that I am sure he will rue.

Not least because hundreds of fighters have already been let back in. It takes the media to whip up a storm like this and convince people she's a one woman war machine, while many other much more dangerous people are already back here

red_observer likes this.
  19. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I think they do.

I think she is eligible for, rather than currently has, but you may well be correct.

The mother holds Bangladeshi citizenship. Bangladeshi citizenship is provided primarily jus sanguinis, or through bloodline, irrespectively of the place or legitimacy of the birth.Therefore, any person born to a Bangladeshi woman legitimately or illegitimately outside Bangladeshi soil would still be a Bangladeshi citizen.

Seems to me that covers it.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  20. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

Have you just liked the OP? OMG ...