1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Shameful response from Facebook regards defamation of teacher

Discussion in 'Personal' started by stopwatch, Sep 25, 2020.

1. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

There is a Facebook page dedicated to the School I went to in the 70's. Lots of reminiscing, memories, old photos, that kind of thing. Generally it is a very pleasant group page, with majority positive comments.

Obviously some of the threads are 'Do you remember Mr Bloggs, the history teacher?' followed by peoples memories of that teacher. Obviously, as in any school, there are positive memories and negative memories.

One such thread, about a Maths teacher, who (IMO) was excellent. He inspired me any way, along with many others. The comments are 70/30 positive/negative with comments about him giving 'naughty' pupils the slipper (we are talking the 60s/70s).

Anyway, today an ex pupil wrote this:

"I remember him as a bully!.. and if he didn’t like you , you were bullied!!
    That bas**** made my life a misery until I told ***** ****** (Deputy) about it, and, bless him, he got involved.
    A couple of months later, Mr T***** left, to F****N RAPTIOUROUS APPLAUSE!!!!
    I don’t think it was just me, because he was a c*** to lots of pupils... and unfortunately I was one of them.
    I’ve heard he’s dead...
    .. I hope it was painful...."

Regardless of this persons experience, I don't think this is acceptable as the teacher has since died and is unable to do anything about it. I reported it to Facebook as hate speech, citing foul language and hateful comments about his death. Facebooks response was to say that it doesn't contravene any of their policies.

I assumed there was a misunderstanding, so asked again for this to be considered. They stood by there actions, suggested I 'hide' the comment and block this eejit from my feeds.

Is it me, or do other people find this unacceptable (although maybe not surprising).

By the way, I'm not a fan of Facebook anyway and use it only to keep up with close family as well as join groups connected to my hobbies.

2. littlejackhorner

littlejackhorner Senior commenter

I absolutely agree with you. I think the problem with social media is that people post things they wouldn't dream of saying out loud to others. I did notice something similar on Google reviews about a teacher in my old school. After a complaint to Google, they removed the post.

3. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

As you are a Facebook user yourself, you could write a positive review of the teacher refuting the claims and letting readers know the teacher in question has died.

While not in any way condoning the post, you obviously have very positive memories of the teacher, but someone else may have totally different memories for a variety of reasons.

stopwatch likes this.
  4. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Yes, you are Correct. I have already put a number of positive comments for this teacher as he also took a number of the sports teams which I competed in. It is just a shame when somebody has to say such negative things. Totally unnecessary.

5. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

It is the world we live in now.

These days it is all too easy to play tough, nasty or downright evil on the net and not be held accountable for it.

Most decent people would read the choice of words of the attacker there and feel more sorry for him than the teacher. (You would hope)

Not defending FB but I can get where they are coming from. Yes, the person there has chosen abusive and nasty words but.....it could well be this was his experience with said teacher and if so, should that really be censored away?

Lalad likes this.
  6. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Not as awful as 'Rate My Teacher' which allowed pupils to grade and comment on their teachers - in theory those actually teaching them, but in practice often those they didn't like, present & past. Based in the USA it always refused correct/alter posts even if factually incorrect (let alone remove the libellous ones).

It was active when I was teaching a decade or so ago, but seems now to have been taken over/revamped and all the old comments removed.